Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome. I'll start with those and when I'm done I'll come back begging for more.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I've read all of his books so far. ALL ACES except for Castaways. Only one I wasn't a fan of. I didn't even finish it.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Check out Urban Gothic. That book is FUCKED UP. No zombies, but FUCKED UP.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Will add it to my wish list. Thx
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Agreed on the zombie love for the Keene books as expressed above. I'd add the following (my brother is a HUGE zombie fan, so he's passed off many to me):

World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks (flawed but awesome; don't listen to detractors who try to tell you different).

Wet Work by Philip Nutman (Hard to Find, but groundbreaking for its time, & hugely influential; well written to boot)

Monster Island By David Wellington. The sequels a little less so, but if you like the 1st, they're worth a read just to say you did, and they're different enough to be cool without going too far (for the most part; others might disagree w/ this last).

The Autumn series by David Moody. Slow to start, yes, but one of the best once it ramps up. Also atmospheric as hell. Moody can get you in the proper. . . well, mood. . . better than almost anyone.

The short story collections in the "The Undead" anthologies and "The Walking Dead" (NOT the graphic novels - although they're pretty awesome, too, that's not what I mean here) can be mind blowing when done right. Several volumes to both. History is Dead by Kim Paffenroth also a pretty good collection.

Out of print, but perhaps available at Amazon used: The Mammoth Book of Zombies (A Mammoth Book of ANYTHING is ipso facto at least worth the read).

I'm told Day by Day Armageddon is good, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Twilight of the Dead has many, many fans, although I'm not among them. Thought the ending was tres gay. But it could just be me. Ask around on that one.

That's all I got off the top of my head. I prolly did mini reviews of others at DERP in the Is the Horror Novel Dead? thread, if you want to dig a bit. Sink your teeth into those, and lemme know what you thought!
            I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Day by Day Armageddon was dissapointing. Of your list, I read WWZ, the Keene books and that one. It's told as diary entries, but I don't know... it was lacking, if anything.

I'll check out the Autumn series.
              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Monster Island isn't bad. I dig what they tried to do, but I wasn't a fan of the sequels.

Comment

Thanks Iggy. It'll take some time to pour through all those as I'm a "casual" reader at best but I will check them out when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    I'll check out the Autumn series.
                    Seriously, probably my second favorite zombie series (Keene's stuff comes in 1st, IMO). And my brother, the true connisseur, says they're his all time faves. They're vastly underappreciated, & I think you'll really enjoy them.
                    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Reading The Rising because that's how I roll.

Keene's prose is hilariously odd at times, but the premise is very very compelling.

If they make a film of it, DiCaprio for Worm.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

Finished The Rising.

The premise is interesting, but it is unfortunately handled very clumsily.

I'd rather sidestep the invective, seeing as how this is a hallowed tome, so I'll just say I was not a fan.
                        Last edited by Captain Russ; 02-18-2011, 12:12 PM.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORE MOUTH.

Comment

So much for being diplomatic.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

hahaha.

It's all good. I had no problems with The Rising as it kept me entertained the whole way through and did so the other 5 times I've read it.

Comment

The Rising's great. Not the sequel though...
                                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Working...
                                X