No announcement yet.

Has any one else read House of Leaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any one else read House of Leaves?

If not I recommend it to everyone its a hard read, (took me about a year, and my 12th grade English teacher about 8 months) because of how its formatted. But once you get past the first hundred pages they start lying by and before you know it your sucked into a world where physics doesn't apply and other random crazy nonsense.

some of the pictures of the formatting:
    [img width=645 height=900]http://www.english.ucsb.edu/faculty/rraley/courses/engl165/readings/Danielewski.gif[/img]

At a few points in the book you have to read it upside down.

And a quick plot summary from wikipedia:

House of Leaves begins with a first-person narrative by Johnny Truant, a Los Angeles tattoo parlor employee. Truant is searching for a new apartment when his friend Lude tells him about the apartment of the recently deceased Zampan?, a blind, elderly man who lived in the same building as Johnny's friend, Lude.

In Zampan?'s apartment, Truant discovers a manuscript written by Zampan? that turns out to be a very academic study of a documentary film called The Navidson Record.

The rest of the novel alternates between Zampan?'s report on the fictional film, Johnny's autobiographical interjections, a small transcript of part of the film from Navidson's brother, Tom, a small transcript of interviews to many people regarding The Navidson Record by Navidson's partner, Karen, and occasional brief notes by unidentified editors, all woven together by a mass of footnotes. There is also a fourth narrator, Johnny's mother, whose voice is presented through a self-contained set of letters titled The Whalestoe Letters. Each narrator's text is printed in a distinct font, making it easier for the reader to follow the occasionally challenging format of the novel.

Re: Has any one else read House of Leaves?

Yeah - I've read that book - it's crazy but also awesome. I have another book by the same author that was a pain in the ass to read, I never finished it. It was two stories and you have to read like 8 pages of one story, then 8 pages from the other story and go back and forth between the two.... and it doesn't make any sense (at least not in the beginning, since I didn't get that far it may have become more understandable).
    If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

Your thinking of Only Revolutions. I got about 4 chapters in on each story before I gave up.

Comment

Whatever dude. Reading is for smart people. Now if you'll excuse me, Rock of Love is on.
        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Word. I wonder what skank is gonna try to mack on Vince tonight...
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
          X