No announcement yet.

Brian Keene: The next Stephen King?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally finished 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'. And really dug it, although....

I think this is the first book of his that didn't have what I would call a satisfying ending. It felt more like the first half of an epic book, but even with that it's still pretty great. It ties in nicely with all of his other books (especially the last short story of 'The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World') and I cannot wait to see what happens next. It seems like he's going to have a few more books that will tie up everything together if it keeps going the way I think it is. I did dig this way more than Castaways (only book of his I struggled to get through) though and recommend it if you're a fan.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

This whole connected universe thing is kind of reminiscent of King; he tried to tie fucking EVERYTHING he did together. First, it was Cujo, Dead Zone, Needful Things and the Castle Rock setting books, then the Dark Tower series pulling Insomnia, The Mist, From a Buick 8, hell, even 'Salem's Lot into its web of intrigue. Doesn't look like Keene's got anything quite that intricate planned, but you never can tell. As his career advances, his fan base expands and (hopefully) his talent increases, he may get the hubris King did to try & pull of such a comprehensive conceit.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Keene already stated that his novels are all connected in a multiverse.
        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Yep, and unlike King it's been there since the beginning and actually makes sense.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

I'm just sad that in Brian Keene's multiverse, Jet Li ain't killing himself over and over, and is nobody's bitch.
            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Haha. His multiverse gets explained pretty well in the new book. Where as in other books you'd get bits and pieces, this one kind of lays it all out on the table.

Comment

Working...
              X