Southland Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southland Tales

Can anyone just tell me what the fuck I just watched.

Oh Richard Kelly....somewhere deep, deep, deep down in this movie were some decent ideas....I think....You need someone telling you "no".

Seriously, what the hell? Amiss the flood of "hey, it's that person", was there even a narrative going on?

Come on, someone out there, please explain this movie to me like I was a 5 year old. I fucking dare you.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Never heard of it but by reading the plot... I wonder?
    Southland Tales is an ensemble piece set in the futuristic landscape of Los Angeles on July 4, 2008
    A futristic landscape of 2008??? That dosent sound very futuristic.
    "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

I would suggest checking out the wikipedia pages about it.

I watched the film and was left scratching my head. Once, you read about the shit that happens in the prequel comics it makes more sense.

Overall though the movie was okay. I totally agree with you though. Richard Kelly does need someone to tell him that it's great that all this shit makes sense in his mind but, when translated to film it doesn't.
      "How the fuck does your brain go Kevin Spacey~K-Pax?" - Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterLaBeef View Post
        Never heard of it but by reading the plot... I wonder? A futristic landscape of 2008??? That dosent sound very futuristic.
        this movie was in production hell forever. It's horribly dated already. Which somepeople think adds to its charm. Not I. It was a fucking mess no matter if you read the comics or whatever.

"I'm a pimp... and pimps don't commit suicide."

That was supposed to take the world by storm me thinks. It comes outta left field and is repeated like 4 times in the last 10 minutes. This movie fucking sucks.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Just look at Donnie Darko initial cut versus Director's Cut. There you go. Some people need to be reigned in a bit.
          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Totally. The original was decent, nothing Earth shattering, but the director's cut fucking sucked.

And I just read the synopsis's again of the prequel comics. Fuck this movie even more. Richard Kelly is no Philip K. Dick.

Comment

Great use of music in the original. Don't forget the presence of Seth Rogen.

Comment

It was all about Jena Malone.

Comment

What is it with her? Sometimes its hell yeah! Others its ehh.

Comment

Go watch The Ruins right now.

Seriously. Get the unrated cut. That movie was way better than it should have been.

Comment

Are there tasty bits?

Comment

There are. Jena isn't nude in it, but close. There is some nudity. But the gore is what I wasn't expecting. LEsley and I both enjoyed it more than we thought we would. It was a total blind buy too.

Comment

I'll have to check it out.

Comment

This movie would have been neat if it was edited down to 3-5 mins and used as a music video.

Comment

Haha, agreed! Just show each cameo for 2 seconds.
                              If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

Working...
                              X