Does the "guilty pleasure movie" exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL
    Why do you like the movie in a non-emotionally stimulated way? What makes you connect to it and hoist it up?
    But I would argue that the people making that argument are stimulated in some way maybe not emotionally but in some way. They like it because it resonates for some reason.

Originally posted by Judas Booth
    And I've never seen 'Thunderheart', by the way. I've actually heard decent things about it.
    You should check it out. Not "great" but certainly good in my book.

Originally posted by Rob
    But you're right, it's hard to talk about the flick with out mentioning any emotional connection to it. But I'm also not going to tell you that you're wrong in saying it's a shitty fucking movie. But how can we discuss it either way? You hate it, I like it.
    This, in a nutshell.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I dig Thunderheart. Kilmer is great.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I just want to know how is enjoying Hackers different from say liking the Planet of the Apes sequels?
        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

You're all wrong for every reason I stated. But, that's cool.
          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            I dig Thunderheart. Kilmer is great.
            Yeah, he was really on fire during that time in his career, plus the old indian man slays me. With his Magoo watching and Peyote smoking.
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL View Post
              This is my guilty pleasure post. It's complete shit, but I love it.

Comment

I agree in that it can be a cop out. In that it justifies just liking any pile of shit out there. But there are times when it is in fact legitimate to say such things. Because you have no other way of justifying it.

Like I said, this really can come into play with music.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL View Post

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

How are we wrong? Are you telling me there is not one movie that you like (and you know is shit)?
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

How are we wrong? Are you telling me there is not one movie that you like (and you know is shit)?

There isn't.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

Well there ya go.

Comment

I find that highly suspect. Every film you enjoy has received critical acclaim or not a bad word was said about it?

Comment

I find that highly suspect. Every film you enjoy has received critical acclaim or not a bad word was said about it?

There's bad word with a capital B and with a little b.

Comment

I think Pauline needs to lay out his favorite films. Let's see them.

Comment

How about guilty HATRED, then: a picture that is critically lauded and everyone else loves, but you can't stand it for some reason. If those can exist, cannot a guilty PLEASURE exist as well?
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

I can name a whole bunch of my favorite films that would be considered good by most. But I like talking about films that people think are pure shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X