Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
    I'm guessing because A24 got behind it and that Don Draper's daughter was pretty good? I was excited for a creepy movie in the vein of THE BABADOOK and it was just ehhhh.
    Yeah, Kiernan Shipka really was good in it and I think she can have a career ahead of herself. I thought the same. Expecting Babadook and getting...something else? It reminded me of that Netflix movie, The Pretty Thing In the House (I think?) and how it was not at all what I wanted or expected...except that movie was good.

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
    it's just so bloated and having all of them split up just didn't work for me. The best thing the movie did in my opinion was make Nebula less of an annoying character and turning her into someone I actually want to see more of.
    Hey let's make a Guardians movie but instead its really 3 different cliques off dealing with nonsense. Yawn.

Comment

• Kiernan Shipka was also really good in that FEUD: BETTY AND JOAN mini series on FX. She's got a legit career ahead of her.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• On a separate note, The Incredible Hulk movie was on HBO this weekend and it still totally works for me.

ROTH is the goddamn man. His fight with the Hulk at the school is still so awesome. I want the Leader to still show up at some point. Loved that tease.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I rather liked INCREDIBLE HULK as well. It does all that it can to make the character work.

Hulk is a hard character to have lead a film, and the AVENGERS movies have shown how to best utilize him: as a supporting character. The Hulk needs something or someone to guide him and point him in the right direction. He's a force of nature, not a character.
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Angst.

It's up on Shudder and is right out of the sort of wheelhouse of horror as Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, only Austrian and with a metric fuckton of crane shots.

The way the story is crafted is very minimalist, taking place over a mere twenty four hours upon the release of the protagonist from prison.

There is little dialogue and most of it consists of the inner monologue of the central figure: a gangly, bug-eyed goon named "K."

It gets brutal very quickly, but contains a streak of the mundane that reinforces the violent nature of the main character.

Really impressive film for what it does with so little. It is a low down, dirty shame that the director never had a chance to make another film.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• And like Henry, this one gave me the "may need a shower for the soul" feeling once it was all said and done.

Also, the score was made by one of the fellows from Tangerine Dream (which loops over and over until you can't not hear it long after it is over).
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• ALIEN COVENANT is awesome, y'all. Holy crap. I guess I have two complaints about it- the flashback in the middle needed to be longer and I wish there had been more daylight scenes to show off the architecture and other cool scenery on the planet. Normally I don't care to have everything explained to me but I really like what they did with the Alien origin. It's much more nefarious than "hey, there are evil monsters in the universe that will kill us all".

Comment

• YESSSS. JOIN US.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Nah son, nah.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Underworld: Blood Wars - stunk. Just awful. This is a franchise that needs to end already, especially if this is what we can expect for future installments. Lots of exposition rammed through without giving the info time to breathe, the first 1/4 of the movie has everyone talking with heavy echo, special effects look a bit cheap (some of the werewolf transformations are WAY off and look like obvious CGI). The cast looked a bit bored, too.

Avoid, if possible. Not worth the viewing.

Comment

• A lot of the things you mentioned seemed weird to me too, Russ, by I explained it away to myself that a lot that stuff, particularly going out without EVA suits, was covered in briefings held off screen. The diversion from the main course totally makes sense, though. Crudup was shook by the damage caused by the accident and his unexpected promotion. He saw the beacon as a way to gain the respect of the crew and safely cut some years off the mission. Considering how insecure he appeared it totally makes sense he'd divert from the assigned mission.

Comment

• That's why mutinies aren't always a bad thing, I suppose.

While it all made sense with the logic of the character choices in getting them to the planet (as far as line of succession and all), it was everything that followed was just a complete shitshow that I was not prepared to encounter. And my expectations were already incredibly low after Prometheus.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I thought Covenant wasn't bad. My main problem was all the legacy Prometheus bullshit they had to deal with. That and demystifying one of the greatest movie monsters of all time.
                            Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Black goo is just such a weak device that it ends up causing more problems than it solves, both in the film as well as the writing of it.

Ridley's Believe it or Not was a mistake.

But enough about beating the dead xenohorse, let's talk about STREET TRASH and the wonders of false advertising in the modern age.

The description of the film is dubious if not an outright swerve, as the premise that no doubt brought many people to the dance (Cheap liquor turns hobos into mutants on the mean streets of New York) only encompasses about 10% of the film's runtime.

The rest is anti-plot shenanigans involving severed-hobo-dick football, 'Nam flashbacks, necrophilia, rape, horrible bosses, inappropriate office relationships, and the issues of a caste system when living in a landfill.

Now if anybody has a suggestion for me on a film that is in the same area of hell as this one, let me know. Going in blind resulted in a roller coaster ride of filth.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Street Trash is fucking ridiculously terrible yet entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X