THE "OMG I AM BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent! Thanks!
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

hit up reddit.com/r/buildapc

it's what I used to research and set up shit for my build.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

but yeah, get a SSD for the OS and then only install programs on it that you use constantly ie: music stuff, photoshop, etc..

Some games can take advantage but otherwise I keep it mostly used for my apps
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Seriously need PC recommends. I've got about 30 days to either get new gear or lose the money for the year.

Working with about 1700 and I need to replace a PC and laptop.
          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Have to replace both for $1700? I was going to recommend the new Surface Books, but that's most of your budget right there.

Comment

just get a lappy like I have. fuck a desktop now. This computer is a goddamn beast.

Comment

I'm debating going all lappy. But, I have to move over about 1.2 tbs worth of stuff to whatever new setup I have.

Basically, whatever I pick up has to be able for me to just hermit crab it on over.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Anybody use a good KVM to swap between two PCs? I don't NEED the keyboard/mouse, mostly worried about video. If I get this written offer I am going to upgrade and fix my desk to be more suitable for remote work. I am going to grab 2 new 1080P monitors on a dual monitor arm. So I will have my 1440p gaming monitor at 100hz, and then a pair of 1080p at 60hz. I only need to swap the middle monitor between my gaming PC, and the work laptop. I'll have the 1440p on the left side always connected to the gaming desktop, and the far right monitor I plan on keeping always connected to the new work laptop, and basically slide it away behind the "middle" monitor when work is done for the day.

A lot of these KVM switches either only support 30hz, or don't support mechanical keyboards, or some other nonsense. Open to any decent options to swap the single monitor, accessories working is just a bonus.

Comment

So Deloitte gave everyone $500 for home office purchases, and it had to be spent by this week. I was like...well keyboards are on this list. What if I bought all the parts for a mechanical keyboard and try to expense it? So I configured a GMMK Pro 2 keyboard, and...they totally let me expense fucking $445 in parts for a mechanical keyboard. I finally got everything in today and assembled it quickly. I have never had a "nice" keyboard, I've just always bought whatever razer or corsair was on sale when my previous one shit the bed.

This thing is life changing. I can never go back. I want to build like six more keyboards. The RBG is so fucking dumb. The keys feel amazing. It's milled from a pure aluminum block and weighs like 12lbs all assembled. The software lets you make custom key binds, lighting patterns or key specific customizations or no lighting at all. It has a big fucking heavy aluminum knob like from old school 80s stereo systems my parents had that is the most satisfying thing I have ever used.

Comment

Dude. Pics.

Comment

Yeah, how are we supposed to fap to your description? But for real, PICS!
                        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Current 5 year old lappy decided to almost die on me this week as the fans pretty much gave out. Shit was overheating like crazy when just doing shit like watching YouTube or being on a the forums. Started looking around for a replacement and found another MSI lappy on sale at best buy this weekend. Lesley talked me into just charging it as I would have gone postal if my current machine just died before I had transferred shit over.

Picked up the MSI Stealth GS66 15.6" 360hz Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i9 - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti - 1TB SSD along with an external 1 tb ssd. Windows 11 is weird but I dig it so far. Haven't tried gaming on it yet as I wasn't planning on doing much gaming, but my editing shit is awesome so far. Gonna hopefully check out Blender on it later this week. Ordered a new cooling dock as this thing gets pretty warm like my other one.

Hopefully get this paid off in a few months and then start saving for a real rig once we finally find a new place to live.

Comment

Those MSI are solid laptops. Really good choice.

I also recommend getting like a Backblaze account for backups. I think it's like $5 a month to keep a mirror of any Windows machine, unlimited storage.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                              Those MSI are solid laptops. Really good choice.

I also recommend getting like a Backblaze account for backups. I think it's like $5 a month to keep a mirror of any Windows machine, unlimited storage.
                              oh shit good looking out Billiam. I'll take a look at that site and see what's up. I'm a bad PC owner as I NEVER back up a fresh install on a machine. and Yeah, my last lappy was a MSI machine and I loved it.

Comment

Also, via Backblaze, so if I'm reading this right, they backup EVERYTHING constantly in case shit goes wrong but they also create images of the machine at the same time so if I needed to do a "clean" install of everything I could just pick a date and it would reimage my machine?

Comment

Working...
                                X