No announcement yet.

The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo Howard. got The Crippled God? I just got it, thanks to Canada Post...

Will read it after Caine Black Knife. How's the new Ruthfuss?
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Finally paid off that $150 library debt (long story short: I'm a lazy idiot) and picked up:
      Stoner - John Williams
      The Moviegoer - Walker Percy (read the first 50 pages before, had to return it)
      Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
      The Lie That Tells The Truth - John Dufresne

I guess I wanted some period pieces to read - the Westwood liberry didn't have The Easter Parade so I grabbed Revolutionary Road instead. TLTTT is a book on writing that I sped through a while back and wanted to enjoy a little more now that I'm trying to get back into writing on the reg.
      "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
      *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Howard? Erikson?

Comment

• Still sitting in my pile. Part of me doesn't want to read it because that's it.
          We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
          - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Hehe. I'm just like you mate. It's right there, but it's the end. I may want to keep it for the summer...

I have The Warded Man and House of Leaves sitting right beside it.

Comment

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
              And Then We Came to the End by Josh Ferris.

Interoffice politics, relationships, and the minutiae of what happens to a small group of advertisers as their firm begins to migrate toward nonexistence.

The most interesting guy in the book has already left the firm at the point I currently find myself, and yet the interest in everything--however boring in real life--remains.
              hey dude what did you think of this I liked it
              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Hehe. I'm just like you mate. It's right there, but it's the end. I may want to keep it for the summer...

I have The Warded Man and House of Leaves sitting right beside it.
                I'm definitely keeping it for summer. I've got a pile of junk reads that I want to burn through first. Sweeten the palate, so to speak.
                We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Been reading Edmund Morris' "Colonel Roosevelt"

Rherb, if you're a true TR fan. You'll want to check out this trilogy.
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Halfway through "The Blade Itself" by Abercrombie and I have to say that it rather lives up to the hype so far. While it can´t hold a candle next to Scott Lynch´s "Locke Lamorrah"-books it is definitely a brisk and funny read with good pacing and an interesting world building.

While not being a big fantasy reader, should I give the "Game of Throne" books a chance, given the ravings about the TV-adaption and my previous stated tastes?

Comment

• Fucking hell, I just got through the big Felurian chunk in Wise Man's Fear. WHAT A FUCKING SLOG that portion was.

Comment

• Reading some book called Dead City (I think). I bought it cause they use the same font that the new BDR site is gonna have. Also zombies.
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Haven't really been reading much besides a few chapters here and there of American Tabloid.

Instead, I've been elbow deep in the old Walt Stanchfield books. More for research purposes than anything else, but I'd take a bullet for that man were he still alive and in immediate danger.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• American Tabloid is Ellroys masterpiece in my opinion. And I love me some Ellroy.

A sprawling HBO series tackling that book is still the pinnacle of my geek dreams.

Comment

• I didn't go in any order when I started picking up his works, as I started with the LA quartet (I started with Big Nowhere, then Dahlia, then White Jazz, then Confidential), and I felt I missed several inferences that I would have picked up had I kept to the structure of things.

So that's how I'm going about the Underworld Trilogy. I'm really excited to see how far Ellroy goes with the scenario. Frenchman Pete is my favorite of the three protagonists as of now. I suppose it is mostly because he is the most small-time of the sleazebag trio, but also it is somehow easier to slip into his side of the story with his character tropes (the bored hitman).
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Well, since these books all built up on each other, you must´ve had some rather integral character arcs destroyed, most notably Dudley Smith. But the books work on their own nonetheless obviously.

What I love about American Tabloid is that Ellroy took what worked in the LA Quartet and expanded it onto the grand picture of the underbelly of America´s history. The whole story is a grand, bizarre, violent and insane blend of history, facts and fiction structured vintage Ellroy. Amazing how he manages to still corporate so many characters and arcs from the LA Quartet.

In a way he´s Tolkien when it comes to world building in hard boiled crime stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X