Give me TPB suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me TPB suggestions.

Not to clog up Anderson's other thread, this is a thread for you comic nerds to suggest great runs for us that don't keep up on the single issues. I've been jonsing for some good superhero trades lately that are newer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

It's been a long time since I've read a superhero book but what about superhero-tangential? Everyone should read the Gotham Central trades because they are great. An interesting look at how police have to deal with working in a city with superheroes.

Comment

There's a Walt Simonson Thor omnibus I've been enjoying the hell out of...not new, but definitely worth your time.
      Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

Mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm curious about Invincible from Image. Since there's love for Kirkman's Walking Dead here on the boards, has anyone read this series he created, and how is it?

And somebody tell me more about Atom Eve!

Comment

boing
          "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
          *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

I feel like that pic might be a trap.
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Invincible is fucking awesome.

Read it.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Thanks, Russ! I've seen the collected editions on eBay (some guy's selling the first 5 for $99.99, and he's throwing in another graphic novel to sweeten the deal), and somebody else is selling the first three for about $20. Pretty cheap - might have to jump on 'em.

Comment

Grab 'em. Walker's art on the first issues are solid, but when Ryan Ottley comes on it just goes into overdrive. The stuff is like candy to me.

Not to mention the writing oscillates between funny and tragic with a truckload of "holy shit" moments to keep you hooked.
                  Last edited by Captain Russ; 12-29-2012, 01:44 PM.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

And... bought the 5 (including a free 6th graphic novel) for $99.99 plus S&H ($118 and change total). Should arrive next week! Thanks, Russ - looking forward to reading these, and I can get my best friend to buy me vol. 6 and 7, as he owes me a Christmas present!

Comment

Awesome grab, Tim! And you too, Jewfro Invincible!

I think you're gonna dig it.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

Thanks, Captain! Shakes out to about $20 per book, which ain't bad, all things considered.

And props to the Jewfro Invincible, too!

Comment

Invincible was pretty great (at least the one book I read of it) need to grab the others.

Also, People who haven't read these should:

Blacksad (Russ got me into this)
                          CHEW
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

The Goon is also fantastic. Eric Powell continues to impress me with his writing chops as well as an artist in the classic EC mould.

Huge watershed moment for the book was the Chinatown story. It took what up until then was a situational sort of book and added a lot of depth to the characters, crafting a mature tale in a very bizarre and often irreverent and hilarious universe.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

I've loved what I've read of the Goon so far. I blieve I have the first 3 TPBs. Good stuff.

Any good X-Men books out there that are newer?

Comment

Working...
                              X