Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks to be a three issue series
    "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

• Cool...might check this out.
      Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

• I don't read much outside of the Anne Rice Vampire books... I've read multiple Dr. Hunter S. Thompson's books. I've read two Mitch Albom books. I read a book called "A boy called it", that shit was fucked up. I've read two Dan Brown books. Read the first 4 storys if The Crow series. Shit... I've even read "The Color Purple"... There are others I have read that I can't think of right now. Do I recommend any of them? I don't recommend anything. Don't take my advice when it comes to things dealing with entertainment... I am too easily entertained. I enjoy most things that people think are crap. The only book I had started to read, but just put it down after the first two chapters was Jurassic Park. I was in Jr. High, though, and didn't want to read a goddamn thing.
        "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'."
        Homer Simpson

"What if you get scared half to death twice?"
        Steven Wright

Comment

• Picked up some new stuff the other day.

Things I've Learned From Women Who've Dumped Me. A large set of short essays by people like Steven Colbert and Patton Oswalt, reminiscing about some of the shittier moments in dating. Oswalt's is probably the best in terms of pure comedy, but there are some that are actually sort of heartfelt John Hughes-esque declarations of unrequitted love.

Soon I Will Be Invincible. Started this late yesterday, and it is a pretty interesting look at supervillains, straight from the first person prose of one of them. Definitely pick it up if you enjoy the deconstructive comic book set.

The Complete History of Superman. After watching Confessions of a Superhero, I picked this up due to the nostalgic feelings of the first Donner movie I had. To say it is comprehensive is an understatement, but it gives very human insight into the character's creation (and the supporting cast of characters) as well as the people behind his origin. Had no clue that Jerry Siegel married the model for Lois Lane. A bit dry at points, but hugely rewarding.

And then John Hodgman's new one, More Information Than You Require. This is just jam-packed with absurdist humor and insanely innacurrate historical facts. So far, the best of book this year to read on the can.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I believe The Complete History of Superman was written by Jake Rossen, a current writer for Toy Fare magazine, right?
            Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
            John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

• Nope, I was close but wrong. This is the book I was thinking of:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...0Rossen&page=1

Comment

• Les Daniels, actually. And the fella went and did the same in-depth coverage on the rest of the big 3: Wonder Woman and Batman.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• That's the other one I want to pick up, as well as the Ten-Cent Plague.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• That looks good.

Comment

• Youse guys know who Joe Hill is, of course. Stephen King's lost appendage that grew sentience and now writes stories.

Anyway, he put out a graphic novel called Locke and Key. And so far, it is as fucked up as I was hoping it would be. Pick it up if you like horror comics.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                        Youse guys know who Joe Hill is, of course. Stephen King's lost appendage that grew sentience and now writes stories.

Anyway, he put out a graphic novel called Locke and Key. And so far, it is as fucked up as I was hoping it would be. Pick it up if you like horror comics.
                        joe hill was noted in wizard as one of the best horror comic writers.
                        The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• So far, I have to agree.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• If you wondered what it would be like if Disney grew some balls and made an animated film, pick up Pride of Baghdad. It's about a group of four lions that escape the Baghdad Zoo after it is shelled during the second Iraq War.

It comes from Y:The Last Man writer Brian K. Vaughan, and it is probably one of his best stand-alone trades.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Fantastic.

By the way (I'm lazy) I want to read some good Marvel trades. IT's been forever and not sure where I should start..Help a brother out.
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• If you like the hero books, like Iron Man, pick up the Extremis saga. It's pretty good.

The latest arcs in Amazing Spider-Man have been very fun, unlike the webbingspooge that was Brand New Day.

As has the rebirth of Thor. Very cool stuff there that I hope makes it into the film adaptation/cash-in.

The reboot of Iron Fist has been really interesting, though I was reading it in single issues. I'll have to pick up the trades at some point.

Oh...and get Criminal by Ed Brubaker as soon as you can. That is fucking glorious (the first arc is a bit dry, but it gets much better with the second story). Very solid crime fiction.

And Captain America by Brubaker is always good. And the Ennis Punisher MAX runs.

Aside from those headliners, I got nothin'. I've been reading Box Office Poison and Scott Pilgrim.
                                Last edited by Captain Russ; 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X