No announcement yet.

Geek things you don't get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta start with the mini-series. Although, the first ep of season one may still be one of the best of the whole series.
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL View Post
      It is the second coming. The book, not the film. The book is the 4-color second coming of 80s super cocaine Jesus.

You don't have to understand it, just accept it.
      Really? Watched this again last night. I'm resigned to the fact that apparantly comic book nerds are so desparate for tits, sex, violence, blood/gore that they will champion piece of shit writing. Probably the only thing I can take away from the writing is that Moore hates America and gay people.

Virtually nothing story-wise drew me in (visually stunning, yes). Characters? For the most part left me cold. Perhaps I would have been more drawn into the story if I felt the world being saved was worth being saved. One solution to that problem? Don't tell the story from Rorschach's POV. Probably one of the most miserable characters I have ever watched. Him getting killed by Dr. Manhattan was a charitable act.
      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I read the graphic novel after I saw the movie. I was a tad underwhelmed, but I think if I'd read it when it came out it would have meant more to me.
        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Watching this leaves me with no urge to pick up the GN.
          We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

I'm 39...does that make ME the old man of the boards?

I 'get' all of the geek stuff that I've watched or tried, except for LARPing. Most of the other geek properties I've never explored/watched, so I can't really offer an opinion on them.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Which is shame really. The graphic novel is pretty fuckign awesome, and the story is completely fleshed out. Even the director's cut isn't close. The movie and book are two different beasts. But I can see how one wouldn't dig either. I just happened to have had an uncle that owned a comic shop when I was a kid, and he got me into this stuff pretty early on.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Judas...the Singer of Podcaust. I like the sound of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hbarr View Post
                  Judas...the Singer of Podcaust. I like the sound of that.
                  Get off of my lawn.
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    Which is shame really. The graphic novel is pretty fuckign awesome, and the story is completely fleshed out. Even the director's cut isn't close. The movie and book are two different beasts. But I can see how one wouldn't dig either. I just happened to have had an uncle that owned a comic shop when I was a kid, and he got me into this stuff pretty early on.
                    Perhaps it's an age thing? Maybe if I had read this back in the day I would have appreciated it more, but I'm inclined to not think so. The two underlying themes I noted above (hating America and gays) would have turned me off back then too.

Sure the stylized violence is cool (and I can see that coming across very effectively in a comic book) but if the writing can't draw me in then a god at pencils isn't going to save my opinion of the book.

Comment

There isn't any stylized violence in the book for the most part, except for Rorschach which is the point. But different strokes for different folks.

I'll echo the sentiment for not getting TV anime, or most Anime in general. Once I hit 15, I was over that shit.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

I'd agree with the slavish devotion to anime. Most of that stuff is incomprehensible crap and the way some of these Otaku are just too fucking nuts about it.

This is why I was asked to leave the college anime club.
                        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

You joined a college anime club?

Hahaha.

You just experimenting there Ed?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                            You joined a college anime club?

Hahaha.

You just experimenting there Ed?
                            I didn't "join" anything, I just showed up on Friday nights during my freshman year. One night I tried crashing it while wearing a lame Spike Spiegel costume. No pictures were taken.
                            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

'Akira', 'Ghost in the Shell', and 'Ninja Scroll' still hold up. I was also fanatical about 'Robotech', 'Star Blazers', and 'Battle of the Planets'. Most of the other anime that I've seen is garbage.

Comment

But those are some of the big ones. I still dig those, as well as Miyazaki flicks. And I have a soft spot for the Urotosakidoji (sp?) flicks as those are the movies that made me realize just how fucked up anime can actually be.

Comment

Working...
                                X