STAR WARS, INDY , HOWARD THE DUCK DEUCE; AND MORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
    It's where the author/reader is given an avatar in the story. And they're amazing at everything. They may not be the main character, but they're the best/smartest/toughest/strongest character. It went from being a complaint about how characters were written to a complaint how female characters that aren't just love interests/princesses to be rescued. But like, every male fantasy character is an ultimate Mary Sue. I love Kvothe, but ultimate Mary Sue.
    Ok. So I understand the term now (thanks!) but I guess I don't see that with Rey. I mean, they show us she's lived in her own for however many years. You don't survive like that on any planet, let alone a desert planet, without figuring out how to keep going. Plus it's clear she's basically starving by way of continually getting screwed by the scrap buyer. That's dumb.

Comment

• <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sexd06I8mzg?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's real cool. I assumed they just used the same footage from the originals.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
        Ok. So I understand the term now (thanks!) but I guess I don't see that with Rey. I mean, they show us she's lived in her own for however many years. You don't survive like that on any planet, let alone a desert planet, without figuring out how to keep going. Plus it's clear she's basically starving by way of continually getting screwed by the scrap buyer. That's dumb.
        Rey is not at all a Mary Sue. That's why there's been uproar about it. It's just a derogative term for female characters in power now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
          1. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul in TPM
          2. Luke/Vader in TESB & Luke/Vader in ROTJ (tie)
          3. Kylo/Rey/Finn in TFA
          4. Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda/Dooku in AOTC
          My rankings - calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post

My rankings - calls 'em like I sees 'em.
            Pretty legit.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
              Rey is not at all a Mary Sue. That's why there's been uproar about it. It's just a derogative term for female characters in power now.
              I feel sad for all the neckbeards scared of strong women. Life would be so boring with a pushover.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                Pretty legit.
                The Luke vs. Vader fights are a tough call for me. Both fights were built up to so much in the original trilogy, especially the final one in ROTJ. They easily surpassed the Obi Wan vs. Vader fight in ANH, but come Phantom Menace, it was all about Obi Wan and Qui Gon vs. Maul. The tech used for that film showed all three using the Force in combat in ways ROTJ and ESB never even dreamed of.

Plus the fight had little things in it I thought were cool. Like Maul picking up a hunk of metal telekinetically, pointing and throwing it towards a door lock in the middle of the fight's beginning, and the fact it took two Jedi to keep a stalemate going with Maul, which showed how much of a badass he was. Until he was cleft in twain by Obi Wan (with Qui Gon's lightsaber, no less. Oh the poetic justice there!).

Comment

• My only issue with the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul fight is with the fact that they're not trying to hit each other. It's really obvious in spots that they're not aiming for each other but are merely making choreographed moves. It's THAT that keeps that fight from being #1 for me, because both Luke/Vader fights look like they're trying to kill each other.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• 1. Obi/Ani in Sith. And yes I know it goes on too long, but Ewan sells it HARD at the end. "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE"
                    2.Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul in TPM
                    3. Kylo/Rey/Finn in TFA
                    4.Luke/Vader in TESB & Luke/Vader in ROTJ (tie)
                    5. Yoda/Emperor in Sith
                    6.Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda/Dooku in AOTC
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• It's hard as balls to watch the old men swing lightsabers at each other in the OT now. I mean, the Obi/Vader fight is BALLS.

Comment

• That final saber battle in ROTS gets too damned Wile E Coyote for me. It honestly should have been handled like the final sword fight in ROB ROY...close, personal, and intense. That said, Ewan is pretty amazing in it (and Hayden isn't half bad either).
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                          It's hard as balls to watch the old men swing lightsabers at each other in the OT now. I mean, the Obi/Vader fight is BALLS.
                          That's mainly due to how they were directed. Lucas had them use the sabers as if they had a lot of weight to them (like broadswords or something). In TESB, Kirschner ditched that and made them weightless, opening up the choreography.

Comment

That final saber battle in ROTS gets too damned Wile E Coyote for me. It honestly should have been handled like the final sword fight in ROB ROY...close, personal, and intense. That said, Ewan is pretty amazing in it (and Hayden isn't half bad either).
                            Oh for sure. It's just that we've waited YEARS to see that fight and most of it works for me. I wish they would have cut out the lava surfing though. But the stuff indoors was pretty good.

Comment

That's mainly due to how they were directed. Lucas had them use the sabers as if they had a lot of weight to them (like broadswords or something). In TESB, Kirschner ditched that and made them weightless, opening up the choreography.
                              Oh I know, but even knowing what they were going for doesn't make it any better. Especially with how they basically retconned all of that with the prequels. I mean, Obi should have been using the force all over that fight.

Comment

• "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Working...
                                X