Rolling Thunder finally coming to DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Thunder finally coming to DVD

Despite the fact that there are more films available for home viewing than ever before, there is a significant crop of films that never hit DVD. One of the most serious omissions on the format has been Rolling Thunder. The 1977 film casts William Devane as a Vietnam vet who is out for revenge against a crew of seriously bad guys, enlisting Tommy Lee Jones in the process. It is an understated and magnificent film, and for too long has been difficult to see. It got a bit of exposure in the ’90s when Quentin Tarantino borrowed the title to name his distribution company, but has since fallen back into movie geek obscurity.

Luckily, if you live in Atlanta you can see a projected print on Friday, November 5 at the Plaza Theater. For everyone else, be happy that the film is streaming online and will finally hit DVD (hooray!), albeit not quite in the way you probably want. Details are after the break.

The headline you really want to read is ‘Rolling Thunder Finally Hitting DVD Courtesy of the Criterion Collection.’ If there was ever a ’70s revenge film worthy of Criterion, it is this one.
    But the DVD presentation will be courtesy of MGM’s ‘manufacturing on demand’ program. You’ll have to buy the film from Amazon, likely at a price of around $19.98, and the DVDs will be produced to individual orders. No physical stock will be in store, in other words. It’s basically the Warner Archive program from Fox and MGM. There will be no blu-ray offerings and the discs will be bare-bones, featuring at most a theatrical trailer. The first couple waves of MOD MGM films weren’t even anamorphic, so if that’s important to you, time to deal with a visual step backward.

But for those who’ve wanted Rolling Thunder on DVD and aren’t willing to settle for the Spanish pan and scan import, this is the way to go. In the meantime you can watch Rolling Thunder online in the US via Hulu (that presentation is only good for a couple more weeks) and Comcast subscribers can see it via Xfinity. MGM HD is also showing the film, so those with that channel are good to go.

A couple words about the film: Rolling Thunder wasn’t the first post-Vietnam movie, but despite turning into all-out action at the end, it handles the subject of a soldier’s return home with great sensitivity. William Devane was handed a killer role as Major Charles Rane, who arrives home in Texas after years as a POW to find that not only has his home changed; he’s changed as well. Director John Flynn keeps the tone hushed and cinematographer Jordan Cronenweth (Blade Runner) channels a little Godfather-style Gordon Willis, massively underlighting interior scenes and filling Major Rane’s eyes with deep shadow. Rane’s early scenes at home are chilling as they reveal just how damaged he is. A scene where he has an honest conversation with a hometown cop is one of the scariest ‘man to man’ talks captured on film.

Paul Schrader wrote the original draft (and even wrote Travis Bickle into a cameo, which was never shot) but a lot of the film’s substance might have come from a rewrite by Heywood Gould, based on this letter from the screenwriter. Rolling Thunder is fraught with tension and Flynn allows it to build and build. Well before it explodes into violence the film is emblematic of the bygone and much missed character-based ’70s thriller. There’s even some subtext (and it’s barely even ‘sub’) that keeps the friendship between Rane and a fellow POW played by Tommy Lee Jones from falling into familiar post-war territory.

If you’re in Atlanta come out to see the film at the Plaza this Friday night at 9:30 and/or midnight. The print looks great (it first ran there this past Tuesday) and there’s no better way to enjoy the film’s blend of mood and violence than on the big screen. But DVD, even non-anamorphic and non-special edition, will do nicely, too.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/04/...g-thunder-dvd/
    "Look, fuck you. Fuck the plane you flew in on. Fuck them shoes. Fuck them socks with the belt on it. Fuck your gay ass fairy faggot accent. Fuck them cheap ass cigars. Fuck your yuckmouth teeth. Fuck your hairpiece. Fuck your chocolate. Fuck Guy Ritchie. Fuck Prince William. Fuck the Queen. This is America. My president is black and my Lambo is blue, nigga. Now get the fuck out my hotel room, and if I see you on the street, nigga, I'm slapping the shit out of you."-- Riley Freeman

Well, now I know what I'm getting for Christmas. Wish it had more behind-the-scenes stuff or extended/deleted scenes, but I'll take what I can get.

Comment

I got to see this at the New Bev some time ago (still bummed about missing out on Sorcerer) and it was good but not Earth shatteringly great.

It's still worth seeing though.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
        it was good but not Earth shatteringly great.
        And this comes from a man who just posted a Europe video...

Punch yourself in the dick, Ed... and keep doing it until I can hire out a proxy to do it for me.

Comment

The Europe video was appropriate for the occasion, good sir.

Besides, William Devane is great, Tommy Lee Jones is great. The ending is great. It's a really good revenge b-movie. And probably one of the few that depicts Texas in the 70s.

Comment

Less backpedaling.

MOAR DICKPUNCHING!

Comment

Ehhh, just give me that box of silver dollars and let's call it a day.

Lone Star beer anyone?

Comment

Never watched this before, but I remember seeing a poster for it somewhere years ago and thinking it looked cool.

If I pre-order, does that get me off the wang-punching hook?
                "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                  Never watched this before, but I remember seeing a poster for it somewhere years ago and thinking it looked cool.

If I pre-order, does that get me off the wang-punching hook?
                  Partially... you have to come up with a glowing review that has funny pic quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by V View Post
                    Partially... you have to come up with a glowing review that has funny pic quotes.
                    Also, lots of jokes about boobs and bones because you are now Skeleton V.
                    "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                    *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Shouldn't Phil be doing the review on this movie?

Comment

Originally posted by V View Post
                        I'll give it my best shot, sir!

Anything that gets me out of member-socking...

Originally posted by Nick Vanderhuge View Post
                        Also, lots of jokes about boobs and bones because you are now Skeleton V.
                        Skeleton V awakens...

If you swap out "bones" for "penis aliens" I was pretty much doing that anyway.
                        "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post

Lone Star beer anyone?
                          Only as a last resort.

Comment

Well, after spending several years as a POW in Hanoi. I think one's drinking standards go out the window.

Comment

Arriving later this week finally. Hopefully, it's there tonight.
                              My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Working...
                              X