Genre Discussion: VAMPIRE Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*cracks knuckles*

My all-time favorite vampire flicks are without a doubt from Hammer. Be they Lee's Dracula films, The Karnstein films, even offbeat stuff like Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, Countess Dracula or Captain Kronos, Hammer got that shit down tight. Also kind of like Warhol's Blood for Dracula; sucker's got Udo Kier, and deserves some love.

Love at First Bite, Dracula (1979), Fright Night (I've only seen the sequel once, and that was many many years ago; must rewatch to form an opinion), Lost Boys, Monster Squad... even Coppola's Dracula... all of 'em are guaranteed good times. Lifeforce was a decent game changer, too. Interview with the Vampire and parts of Queen of the Damned were pretty good, too.

As for modern stuff, Let The Right One In was aces. 30 Days of Night had it's moments. Can't go wrong with the first two Blade films - third one was OK, but more "meh" than anything.

You can pass on Van Helsing (very disappointing, this one), and anything Twilight can kindly fuck off right now.

I do owe Near Dark another viewing soon - been far too long since I indulged. The Forsaken had a couple of good moments, too. I'd also avoid Thirst, but for goofy fun there's always Modern Vampires (Casper "Johnny Rico" van Dien, folks!) as well as anything by Naschy (Count Dracula's Great Love -nice moody, pic. And the women!)

Comment

Shadow of the Vampire and Once Bitten
      Last edited by PHEDG; 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Totally forgot about Blade II. Good call.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Shit,

I completely forgot about Shadow of a Vampire.

Speaking of Queen of the Damned, I actually saw the scenes where Stuart Townsand is "singing". Good god, where did $80 Million go?
          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Shadow was okay but I really dug Dafoe in it.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

yeah, spaced on 'Shadow of the Vampire'. do that one as a double feature with 'Nosferatu' sometime.
              Originally posted by Martin
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

A lot of people raved about "Thirst" but I found that movie to be too damn long and the people involved to be extremly unlikable.

Also, what's the word on "Martin" and I mean George Romero's "Martin".

Comment

Shadow Of The Vampire is worth repeated viewings, Not only for Willem Dafoe, but Eddie Izzard's portrayal of the ultimate self-absorbed actor.

Langella's Dracula is special for me because it was the first R-rated movie I got to see with my parents.

I think my favorites, though are both versions of Nosferatu... with the edge going to Herzog's version. Sorry, but Klaus Kinski in any role is worth watching.

Comment

I need to see that Kinski/Herzog version. Gaaaaaah, I can't believe that I haven't seen it yet...
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Fuck, forgot about DaFoe and Shadow. Thought it was pretty great - nice alternative take on Nosferatu, with a pretty sweet ensemble - Malkovich, Elwes, Izzard.

Also - The Hunger with Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie and Susan Sarandon. Plus, music from Bauhaus!
                      Last edited by Timothy225; 10-22-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

One vampire flick I have been wanting to see for a long time is Cronos. Dammit Criterion, December can't come fast enough.

Comment

I grew up watching "Dark Shadows" It used to be on every afternoon when I got home from school. I loved Barnabas.

Comment

I still skeeve slightly when remembering that Dark Shadows reboot with Ben Cross...

There is a special corner of hell reserved for the producers of that show.

Comment

There once was a show on FOX called Kindred: The Embraced which dealt with vampire clans in San Francisco. My dad and I used to watch it. It seemed really popular until the lead actor killed himself in a motorcycle accident.

Comment

House of Dark Shadows was pretty good - sort of a Cliff Notes for the TV series. Also have to give some props for Robert Quarry and his performances in the Count Yorga and Deathmaster films.

I'd also recommend anything by Jean Rollin - La Vampire Nue, Requiem pour un Vampire (probably the most accessible of his vampire films), Levres de Sang, Le Frisson des Vampires, etc. Rollin's films are very surreal and have a bit of a stream-of-consciousness vibe to them, but are definitely worth at least one good viewing.

Not really vampires per se, but you could do worse than giving the Blind Dead films a spin.

Comment

Working...
                                X