Does the "guilty pleasure movie" exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judas Booth View Post
    How about guilty HATRED, then: a picture that is critically lauded and everyone else loves, but you can't stand it for some reason. If those can exist, cannot a guilty PLEASURE exist as well?

Well, that continues the stilted precedent. Stating there's multiple approaches to a film and various degrees of correctness.

It's as dumb as giving all kids trophies for participating in sporting events.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      I can name a whole bunch of my favorite films that would be considered good by most. But I like talking about films that people think are pure shit.

Freddy Got Fingered is a great film that most people mistake for being terrible.
      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL View Post
        There's bad word with a capital B and with a little b.
        OHHHH now I see, Pauline is playing the symantics game.

Originally posted by EdHocken View Post
        I think Pauline needs to lay out his favorite films. Let's see them.
        This.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Hey, I'm proud of my 8th place ribbons. Back off.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          Originally posted by Martin
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by EdHocken View Post
            I think Pauline needs to lay out his favorite films. Let's see them.

I've laid out my favorite films at several locales, but if we need another thread...I'll do it.

Comment

Freddy Got Fingered is a great film that most people mistake for being terrible.
              O_o
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I think the term "guilty pleasure" comes a lot from film fan maturity, actually. It's a movie that you recognize is bad, but you like it anyway because you're a sucker for the way it's designed, the subject matter, or you watched it a lot as a kid. The latter is important, because there are a lot of bad movies out there (see: the Goonies) that people think are good because of nostalgia. This is not to be confused with a movie you watched a lot as a kid but haven't seen in years (for me, that would be the early ouvre of Miss Christina Ricci, particularly Casper and that ode to teenage lesbianism, Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain).

Even though we disagree about everything else, I think I have to side with Kael on this one. It doesn't exist. Like what you like, but have a good reason for it. You can say "why you liked it as a kid." For example, a lot of people at work think I'm a fool for loving Bad Boys II. But I feel confident in being able to tell why I like it and I'm okay with being in the minority about it. Pearl Harbor, though, is harder to defend.

Comment

Originally posted by Judas Booth View Post
                  How about guilty HATRED, then: a picture that is critically lauded and everyone else loves, but you can't stand it for some reason. If those can exist, cannot a guilty PLEASURE exist as well?
                  Yep. But then the argument becomes: "You don't like it? Then your opinion sucks"
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    Yep. But then the argument becomes: "You don't like it? Then your opinion sucks"

It doesn't necessarily have to go there. If you can push that into fostering further discussion, that's the aim.

Comment

Originally posted by BudLeonard View Post

Even though we disagree about everything else, I think I have to side with Kael on this one. It doesn't exist. Like what you like, but have a good reason for it. You can say "why you liked it as a kid." For example, a lot of people at work think I'm a fool for loving Bad Boys II. But I feel confident in being able to tell why I like it and I'm okay with being in the minority about it. Pearl Harbor, though, is harder to defend.

I like Hackers because it's a fun movie with characters that I enjoy. The soundtrack is aces and the film encapsulates my experiences in the 90's.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I've love to see a defense of this film (don't hate it but I would never call it great. Good, yes.).
                        We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                        - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Every male with a pulse
                          I like hackers because Angelina Jolie looks like heaven in it.
                          THIS

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                            I've love to see a defense of this film (don't hate it but I would never call it great. Good, yes.).

Freddy Got Fingered is the first attempt to redefine the Arthouse film in context of the ADD MTV Generation.

Slipping a skewed look at stunted adulthood into a trope about finding one's way, allows for a rudimentary look at fucked sexual relations.

Tom Green should be given a medal for making 13 year olds watch Rip Torn get covered in elephant jizz.

Comment

I liked The Ringer with Johnny Knoxville. It brought to the mainstream that retards are people too. Who knew?

Seriously though, that movie turned out really well and they were a shit ton more respectful than I thought they'd be with Knoxville in it.

Comment

Originally posted by B_MetalSucks View Post
                                I liked The Ringer with Johnny Knoxville. It brought to the mainstream that retards are people too. Who knew?

Seriously though, that movie turned out really well and they were a shit ton more respectful than I thought they'd be with Knoxville in it.

You're not helping.

Comment

Working...
                                X