UGK - The Education of Gravedigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UGK - The Education of Gravedigger

Digger brought to my attention that he does not know who Bun B is, but courtesy of Donald Glover he has heard him for the first time. Well, sadly grave is about two decades late. I offered to educate him on the greatness which is Bun B, and UGK. I am working on something, depending on how busy work is I might get it done today. I will offer everyone interested the same advice I gave gravedigger. Find "Murder" by UGK on youtube and listen to it about 50 times in a row.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uijHb5U1pD8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uijHb5U1pD8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

"Murder" is so tite. So tite. Holy shit. Bun B drops bomb after bomb and doesn't stop. WTF.

Comment

Yep. Can't top it without a might effort is all I'm saying.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Here you go Grave. Now hit Pirate Bay and download all of this.

Too Hard To Swallow (1992) - The first album from UGK. Pimp C led this album, boisterous and showing his trademark confidence from the beginning. Bun B maintains a solid presence throughout the album, but had yet to master his lyrical ability. Pocket Full of Stones blew up in East Texas, and gave UGK easy entrance into the Houston rap community. The album overall has a more West Coast sound, than the Houston sound that would come into its totally unique identity in the mid 1990s. The West Coast hints filled Texas rap albums through the 80s and early 90s, so don’t take that as a detraction, simply a statement of where Houston rap was in 1992.

Notable Tracks - Pocket Full of Stones, Something Good, Short Texas

Super Tight (1994) - UGK shows utter disregard for everything that we learned about them in 1992 with the release of Super Tight. Bun B holds his own on every track with Pimp C, and often surpasses Pimp C in flow and lyrical acumen. Samples from West Coast rappers peek out under a sound that is solidifying itself as unique to Houston, enhancing the songs but never distracting. With the opening track, Return, UGK cemented themselves as the Texas rap duo and introduced the world to their first classic album.

Notable Tracks - Return, Underground, Front, Back & Side to Side

Ridin’ Dirty (1996) - Bun B takes his place as the class of not only UGK, but all of Houston in Ridin’ Dirty. Opening the album with the radio hit One Day Pimp C puts on an incredible performance, filled with sadness and anger that few other rappers would dare attempt let alone masterfully record. From that point on Bun B places Ridin’ Dirty, and the rap world, in his grasp and has not let loose since. Murder stands for me as the quintessential UGK track, the premium Bun B verse, and possibly the best rap track ever. It should be criminal to not listen to the opening six tracks together, in a car at 2:00AM, windows down at least once in your life. Don’t take that as a statement that the back half of the album is lesser, it is simply more mellow and progressively more introspective. A classic by anyone’s definition, Ridin’ Dirty should be required listening for every Texan, and any rap fan.

Notable Tracks - The entire album. Just turn it on, and leave it alone.

Dirty Money (2001) - A disappointment, affected greatly by the five year absence of UGK after their triumphant Ridin’ Dirty. While not a certified failure, this album was expected to project UGK into the stratosphere. I would guess that UGK mostly put out the album they wanted, considering guest turns by Houston acts Devin and C-Note, and Memphis act 3-6 Mafia. Dirty Money is not without its charms, but Ridin’ Dirty is almost an impossible act to follow.

Notable Tracks - Wood Wheel, Ain’t That A Bitch

Underground Kingz (2007) - Pimp C was incarcerated for a weapons charge, and released in 2005. Underground Kingz stands to a testament to making up for lost time. A sprawling double album featuring many Houston rappers, and also many more commercially viable acts. This speaks less to UGK attempting to break into the mainstream, but more to the fact that so many rappers took influence from UGK and were thrilled to work with them. UGK’s biggest hit International Players Ball (I Choose You) was fueled by OutKast to mainstream success, and introducing many people outside of Texas to UGK for the first time. Swishas and Dosha is possibly the quintessential Houston rap track. I remember the first time I put the CD in and immediately knowing the track, even though it was my first time hearing it. A perfect amalgamation of Houston rap. Underground Kingz is a triumphant return to form after another six year gap in releases, though if the album was trimmed to 15 or so tracks it could be a legitimate classic to rival Ridin’ Dirty.

Notable Tracks - International Players Ball (I Choose You), Swishas and Dosha, The Game Belongs To Me, Take Tha Hood Back

UGK 4 Lyfe (2009) - The final UGK album, after the death of Pimp C due to a combination of codeine and sleep apnea. Bun B swore off syrup from that point on, and many Houston rappers continue to trumpet sippin’ lean as the ultimate Houston touchstone while politely excusing themselves from partaking. Thankfully UGK as the Pimp C/Bun B duo left us with a classic. Every track embodies what they built together, as a group and as pillars to the Houston rap community. Guitars, high hats, blues samples, hard bass. Music to cruise to. Pimp C and Bun B each have a short solo interlude where they display their personalities over melancholy beats that permeate through the album. A near perfect exit, and another UGK classic album.

Notable Tracks - Still On The Grind, The Pimp & The Bun, Swishas & Erb, Used To Be

Solo Albums

Pimp C released several solo albums, two of note. Pimpalation and The Naked Soul of Sweet Jones. Pimpalation features one of the classic Houston rap tracks, Knockin’ Doors Down. The Naked Soul of Sweet Jones is a bit more even album, featuring several excellent tracks such as Dickies, Since The 90s, and Midnight.

Bun B has released three solo albums, each arguably a classic. The first release, Trill, is ensconced in Houston rap trappings and the entire album almost fits into a mold. This does not detract from the album, it simply is exactly what you would want and expect from the first solo Bun B release. With IITrill and Trill OG Bun expanded his producers and guest appearances to a depth similar to Underground Kingz. Depending on your tolerance for more commercial rap acts your mileage may vary, but both follow up solo albums are excellent.

Notable Guest Spots

Big Pimpin’ - Jay Z
          Sippin On Some Syrup - 3-6 Mafia
          If I Wasn’t Rappin - Pastor Troy
          Leanin’ - Slim Thug
          Welcome To Houston Slim Thug

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
            <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uijHb5U1pD8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uijHb5U1pD8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
            Any Houston area dude that hasn't driven down his local strip, blaring this, and chasing girls has wasted his fucking life.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
              Any Houston area dude that hasn't driven down his local strip, blaring this, and chasing girls has wasted his fucking life.
              So true it hurts. When it came out you would even see shitkicking cowboy types doing that exact activity. THAT should give you an idea how big UGK is to Houston rap.

Comment

Heading south for another week of training tomorrow so I just made purchase of Ridin' Dirty for the flight. Looking forward to the first full listen. I'm going to do my best to avoid listening to "Murder" over and over.

Comment

You're probably gonna fail, but that's alright.

Comment

Sometimes in life when you lose you actually win. Crazy but true.

Comment

Working...
                    X