Epic Historical Fiction: Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Historical Fiction: Thoughts?

I'm halfway thru Vol. II of "With Fire & Sword", the 1st book in Henryk Sienkiewicz' epic historical "Trilogy" (the other 2 being "The Deluge" & "Pan Michael"). I have to say I'm really enjoying this. It's set in 16th Century Poland, at a time when they were poised to break out as a major European power (which they almost did, a couple times, but never got it to suceed because of internal weaknesses in the governmental structure). There is a Cossack invasion from Russia, aided by the Tartars (Mongols) & Turks, & inflaming a peasant revolt in Kiev, a former province under Polish rule. We follow the exploits of a small group of warriors in one of the regiments of heavy cavalry in the Polish army, which includes pursuing a villainous Cossack who has captured the hero's betrothed & spirited her away.

Vol. I was probably a bit better (at least so far) because it contained some epic 16th century battle scenes, which have so far been lacking in Vol II, but which I have a feeling are OTW. But the characters are exceedingly cool, the battle scenes well & excitingly rendered, and the sense of scene & setting you get from the narrative is excellent. being of polish descent myself, I also love the opportunity to learn a bit more about the heritage (we always have tended to be a bit ethnocentric; maybe part of an inferiority complex, being the butt of so many jokes & from a "nearly was" nation).

Looking forward to reading the rest of the Trilogy, and wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or recommendations on this or any other historical fiction novels? Particularly those of epic scope.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

BTW, this is what the Winged Hussars looked like. According to Sienkiewicz, best heavy cavalry in the world at the time. Imagine having a regiment of these guys charging at you.
    Attached Files

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Anything by Steven Pressfield is worth reading. From Thermopylae to the North African Campaigns of 1942... he does his homework.

Comment

Moral of the story, the poles could fuck your ass up easily.
        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Same prof that told us about the Biathalon-trained Finns fucking up the Russians in WWII, told us that when Germany invaded Poland in 38, the cavalry (still on horses) tried charging the tanks and jamming their lances into the treads to immobilize the tanks. Gotta hand it to them for bravery, but it wasn't terribly effective. He also told ud there was a Russian paratrooper unit that didn't use parachutes; they'd fly in as low as posible and aim for snowbanks. For some reason, they had a high casualty rate. Can't take it away from the Russians, either; what they lacked in rsources & brains, they made up for in guts.

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
            Can't take it away from the Russians, either; what they lacked in rsources & brains, they made up for in guts.
            The Russians have nothing on their dogs...

Comment

Originally posted by Zoolander View Post
              Anything by Steven Pressfield is worth reading. From Thermopylae to the North African Campaigns of 1942... he does his homework.
              Agreed. Gates of Fire made me profoundly hate 300.

I'm a military history buff, and I can vouch for Pressfield, but I only read Gates of Fire, Virtue of War and the great Rommel novel.

And yeah Iggy, there was a lot of funny/weird shit in WW2. The Fins HATES the Russians.

Rep for Vin at the pic!

EDIT: Quickly, I can recommand Shogun. It's not TOTALLY real, but the white guy is basically William Adams, and substitute Toranaga for Tukugawa and it's pretty close.
              Last edited by Martin; 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM.
              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Originally posted by Mugatu View Post
                EDIT: Quickly, I can recommand Shogun. It's not TOTALLY real, but the white guy is basically William Adams, and substitute Toranaga for Tukugawa and it's pretty close.
                I always wondered if that would be worth the read; I enjoyed the Richard Chamberlain miniseries, and had the book in my hand a couple times, contemplating a purchase, but could never commit. I actually have gates of Fire on the shelf, now that you mention it. A friend loaned it to me & I haven't read it yet. Maybe I will, a couple books from now.

Comment

Gates of Fire is worth re-reading. Again and again.

EDIT:And I never saw the Shogun series... Even with Mifune in it....
                  Last edited by Martin; 02-26-2010, 01:35 PM.
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

I recently finished The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Great book about 1919 Boston, including the police strike, the influenza outbreak, the molasses explosion. Plus Babe Ruth shows up every so often.
                    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Not quite epic, but all of Margaret George's books are fantastic reads. She chooses a historical figure, spends a few years immersing herself in that figure and then writes a fictional autobiography based as though she was that person. People she has written so far? Helen of Troy, Cleopatra, Mary Queen of Scots, Mary Magdalene and Henry VIII.
                      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                      X