Brain Dead Radio Episode 58: Ro Knows the 90's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take it no one has listened yet?
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Not yet, tons of shit going on around the house and interview coming up. Will try today if possible.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

picture is the best
        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
        *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Thank you sir. I liked it.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Hope to get to this today.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Same here - eager to give this a listen.

Comment

Some points...

1) My point with Nirvana, which created that asinine dust-up with Anderson, is that Cobain's death deified this band for reasons other than being the cultural zeitgeist of the 90s. If Cobain hadn't died I doubt there'd be t-shirts in Hot Topic for Nirvana. There'll always be a nostaligia factor for them in a certain age demographic (like me an Tim's, and yours Rob), but I don't think anyone below their 30s would care about them.

Want proof? Fleetwood Mac, arguably bigger than Nirvana, and their own cultural phenomenon at the time, are pretty much relegated to 70s nostalgia. Peter Frampton, same thing. Frampton Comes Alive sold more units than Nirvana's entire catalog. Now he's a trivia question. Hair metal, the LA Metal scene -- same thing.

Stripping Nirvana of the cultural baggage and evaluating their music on its own terms, its sort of boring, the lyrics aren't really compelling on their own, and their early material is one note. Not bad -- not great either.

Oh, and my musical tastes have changed greatly since I was 13. Rollins is full of shit.

2) You are absolutely correct on Audioslave. That band was purpose built to underwhelm. I listened to one of their tracks and tofu streamed through the speakers.

3) The "it can't rain all the time, dude" line cracked me up.

Enjoyed the episode though..
                Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

1. The people under 30 who would care about Nirvana are the ones that would go back and listen to the bands that influenced the bands they liked. To say there wouldn't be any Nirvana Tshirts if he wasn't dead is silly. You could say the same about ANY band for the most part. Also the Rollins thing works in my case because I had some awesome uncles that got me into some music way earlier than I would have on my own. I basically listen to the same genres as I did back then. IT doesn't work for everyone.

2. THANK YOU. Fuck AudioSlave. SO HOARD.

Glad we at least made you laugh once.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                    1. The people under 30 who would care about Nirvana are the ones that would go back and listen to the bands that influenced the bands they liked. To say there wouldn't be any Nirvana Tshirts if he wasn't dead is silly. You could say the same about ANY band for the most part. Also the Rollins thing works in my case because I had some awesome uncles that got me into some music way earlier than I would have on my own. I basically listen to the same genres as I did back then. IT doesn't work for everyone.

2. THANK YOU. Fuck AudioSlave. SO HOARD.

Glad we at least made you laugh once.
                    1.) The Rollins qualifier is ridiculously myopic. I concede the point that your tastes begin to take shape, as before then you are stuck listening to what your parents were listening to and had no say in the matter. GROWTH IS GOOD. This applies to your dick as much as your musical tastes and influences. To stagnate is to die on the vine. You dead as fuck son. D. E. D.

2.) When I first heard "Cochise" I thought it was badass. Now I know better.

CFC 3) Holy fuck you were getting into The Ders territory during this episode.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

I'm not touching that Nirvana argument with a 12 foot pole.

AudioSlave had one half decent song and everything else was lame as fuck.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Russ, what part of The Ders was I getting into? This episode is mostly a haze. I was fucking WASTED.

Comment

Also, in regards to music, you guys like your stuff, I like mine. Do I think the majority of shit that is popular right now is shit? Yes. Do I hate most of the bands you like? Yes. IT's cool. BE COOL EVERYONE THIS A ROB-BERY.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                            Russ, what part of The Ders was I getting into? This episode is mostly a haze. I was fucking WASTED.
                            That's what I mean. You were turning into The DERS.

The thing that made me think of it was probably when you went off describing a hypothetical annoying twat/audiophile.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

hahahah. WOODEN KNOBS TO REMOVE WOBBLE WOBBLE WOBBLEEE

Comment

Working...
                              X