No announcement yet.

Does the "guilty pleasure movie" exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the "guilty pleasure movie" exist?

As Pauline is trying to point out, it does not. I say it does. I say you can get enjoyment out of a piece of shit movie that not everyone can. Does it make the film good? No. Does it make you a moron for liking it? No. It's a goddamn opinion.

I can say, and know that I'm wrong, that The Blues Brothers sucked. I didn't get any enjoyment while watching it. I can also say, and know that I'm wrong, that Hackers is a great movie. Both of those statements can be picked apart and have shit thrown at it but it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather watch the adventures of Crash and Burn than Jake and Elwood. But that's me. Maybe if I would have seen The Blues Brothers earlier, or a shorter version, or had some good memories tied to it that I'd have a different opinion. But the fact is that I don't. I'm not going to say TBB is a good movie because everyone else thinks it is. I know I'm wrong and I'm fine with that.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts? Once again, this all really just boils down to personal opinion (and like assholes, everyone has one) but to say that the guilty pleasure movie doesn't exist doesn't make sense to me. I'd say everyone out there loves a movie that most would consider to be pure shit. We just happen to be very vocal about our bad taste.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Originally posted by Rob View Post
    As Pauline is trying to point out, it does not. I say it does. I say you can get enjoyment out of a piece of shit movie that not everyone can. Does it make the film good? No. Does it make you a moron for liking it? No. It's a goddamn opinion.

I can say, and know that I'm wrong, that The Blues Brothers sucked. I didn't get any enjoyment while watching it. I can also say, and know that I'm wrong, that Hackers a great movie. Both of those statements can be picked apart and have shit thrown at it but it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather watch the adventures of Crash and Burn than Jake and Elwood.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts? Once again, this all really just boils down to personal opinion (and like assholes, everyone has one) but to say that the guilty pleasure movie doesn't exist doesn't make sense to me. I'd say everyone out there loves a movie that most would consider to be pure shit. We just happen to be very vocal about our bad taste.
    I think the label guilty pleasure is just put on things people enjoy that they know others do not. I could say Justin Timberlake's cd is a guilty pleasure and some would say that was true while other's would say he just makes good pop music that I shouldn't be ashamed to dig.

I love Blood In, Blood Out but I can admit that it's flawed in several areas and might be considered supremely bloated by most "critics." But damn if I don't love the adventures of Whitey Notmexican and El Gayo Negro, oh and that painter douche that gets hooked on H. To me it's a great flick but I'm sure other's think it's shit. I don't consider it a guilty pleasure because I don't feel I have anything to feel guilty about.

With all that being said, I don't know what to think. You tell me.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

And like it was said in the other thread, just because you label something a guilty pleasure doesn't change the fact that by all accounts that it may suck.

I'm not trying to tell anyone that HACKERS should be labeled a masterpiece. But how is my enjoyment of that movie affecting movies in general?
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

And like it was said in the other thread, just because you label something a guilty pleasure doesn't change the fact that by all accounts that it may suck.

I'm not trying to tell anyone that HACKERS should be labeled a masterpiece. But how is my enjoyment of that movie affecting movies in general?
        I don't think your enjoyment of it affects movies in general at all. You like what you like. I liked the movie and I know others who have as well. Most of us fully admit that Fisher Stevens* completely overacted and comes off douchey and that the computer stuff is laughable but damn if we don't dig it.

*if I got that guys name wrong sue me.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Guilty pleasures are movies that, quality and critical consensus be damned, you happen to like and enjoy rewatching for some reason. I'm guilty of the following guilty pleasures:
          'Highlander'
          'The Saint'
          'The Shadow'
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

I love the last two.

The Saint is fucking awesome. The Shadow would never be made today.

Comment

But once again, does enjoying "shit movies" take away from people's enjoyment of Oscar winners? Is it a disservice to "real film"?

Comment

Hell no. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing. Quality be damned, some things just click for certain people. If you get enjoyment out of something that the rest of the world detests, more power to you.
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Judas Booth View Post
                  Guilty pleasures are movies that, quality and critical consensus be damned, you happen to like and enjoy rewatching for some reason. I'm guilty of the following guilty pleasures:
                  'Highlander'
                  'The Saint'
                  'The Shadow'
                  I know what the "definition" is. I'm just saying I think it's a useless label. I happen to love the two bolded films. The third not so much. That in no way alters how you look at the film so why worry about box office or critical response or whatever. I love Thunderheart with Val Kilmer but some people shit all over it. If that movie had made $4353245234324.34 dollars opening weekend as opposed to what it did make, I wouldn't like it any more or less.

Comment

The problem with the guilty pleasure moniker is that it's a cop-out. It's used as a last ditch defense against materials that you feel need defending the same sort of scrutiny that gets applied to other items.

It's also a conversation killer. You don't like what I like? Well, it's a guilty pleasure and I like it anyway.

Well, it's still a piece of shit. Doesn't matter, it's a guilty pleasure.

It still sucks. It's my guilty pleasure. And that goes on forever.

Why do you like the movie in a non-emotionally stimulated way? What makes you connect to it and hoist it up?
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by B_MetalSucks View Post
                      I know what the "definition" is. I'm just saying I think it's a useless label. I happen to love the two bolded films. The third not so much. That in no way alters how you look at the film so why worry about box office or critical response or whatever. I love Thunderheart with Val Kilmer but some people shit all over it. If that movie had made $4353245234324.34 dollars opening weekend as opposed to what it did make, I wouldn't like it any more or less.
                      Sorry, I was defining it in relation to my three movies.

And I've never seen 'Thunderheart', by the way. I've actually heard decent things about it.

Comment

For me HACKERS came out at the moment when I was transitioning from being a kid to a teenager with angst. The fact that I was obsessed with computers since I was 5 didn't hurt either. It turned me on to techno music, new styles of clothing, and helped me branch out in terms of what I found attractive in the ladies. Even with all of the ridiculousness in the flick (computer hacking = flying around transistors) it resonated with me at the time. It was us against them. Damn the man, hack the planet. I wouldn't be in the field I am now without that movie, I wouldn't have done research into actual computer programming without that movie, I wouldn't be doing a shitty podcast without that movie, etc.

But you're right, it's hard to talk about the flick with out mentioning any emotional connection to it. But I'm also not going to tell you that you're wrong in saying it's a shitty fucking movie. But how can we discuss it either way? You hate it, I like it.

Comment

For me HACKERS came out at the moment when I was transitioning from being a kid to a teenager with angst. The fact that I was obsessed with computers since I was 5 didn't hurt either. It turned me on to techno music, new styles of clothing, and helped me branch out in terms of what I found attractive in the ladies. Even with all of the ridiculousness in the flick (computer hacking = flying around transistors) it resonated with me at the time. It was us against them. Damn the man, hack the planet. I wouldn't be in the field I am now without that movie, I wouldn't have done research into actual computer programming without that movie, I wouldn't be doing a shitty podcast without that movie, etc.

But you're right, it's hard to talk about the flick with out mentioning any emotional connection to it. But I'm also not going to tell you that you're wrong in saying it's a shitty fucking movie. But how can we discuss it either way? You hate it, I like it.
                          You know who I also hate? Paul Oakenfold.
                          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Guilty Pleasures do exist, they exist in movies and especially in music. By calling it a guilty pleasure you admit that the item is shit. But somehow you like it and you can't explain why exactly. We all have them and they change through out the years.

So is it a cop out? Perhaps, but sometimes that's the best answer you have. I figure it's better to say that then to give off some kind of bullshit "ironic" attachment to it.
                            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Paul Oakenfold can suck a dick. I even say that in the podcast. Fuck him.

Comment

Working...
                              X