No announcement yet.

Beer. Beer. And more beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, I've had the Tire Bite and the Raging Bitch (both not too bad) but will need to hunt down this other one. I'm a huge fan of all flying dog stuff. The owner is fucking amazing.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Syracusely,

this Fireman's 5 is the SHIT DAWG.*

*brought to you by The Council to elect Channing Tatum to Kottonmouth King
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Those Troeg Hop Back Amber Ales were extraordinary. I'm really, really starting to like that brewery's output. They have a little bitterness to start, but it's at a pleasantly moderate level. But that doesn't even matter, you see, because almost before your tongue can register it,a caramel like sweetness takes over & smooths away the bitterness. These are tasty & smooth. You could pound them all night. Maybe a little too easily.
        I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
          Syracusely,

this Fireman's 5 is the SHIT DAWG.*

*brought to you by The Council to elect Channing Tatum to Kottonmouth King
          Excuse me, Firemeng's 4.

But syrianly, it is soooooooooooooooo good. Especially when the chasm has opened and it is as hot as a motherscratchin' Beelzeberb out here.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Half a step below the Double Dog. Still though, wow.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• last night I drank a Weyerbacher Fireside Ale and a Sierra Nevada Glissade. These were both good, but the Fireside was justa bit more interesting (if somewhat expensive; it's $12.00+ for a FOUR pack. And no, the alcohol content isn't higher than normal). It's described as "An intriguing ale with a smoky finish". Pretty much sums it up. It's not as assertive as my beloved but now apparently defunct (at least for now) Sam Adams Scotch Ale used to be, but it's the closest I've come since. Surprisingly mellow, despite the smoke. I quite like these.

The Glissade is described as a golden bock. Smooth, with just a hint of malty sweetness. The labels say they're a wintry beer, helping you think thoughts of springtime. But I thnk, as smooth and refreshing as these are, they go very well with a warm night, as well. I generally find Sierra Nevada products to be servicable, but not especially noteworthy. It's not like I go into a store craving a specific SN brew, the way I'll crave a Troegs or Unibroue. This last was no exception. What's everyone else's take on SN's output?

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Saint Arnold's Fancy Lawnmower brew.

It's...it's just so beautiful...
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I may have been too hard on the Sierra Nevada Glissade. I guess I allowed the one I drank the other night to get warm, & it wasn't at its best. Polished off 2 more from the 6 pack last night, and they were actually very good. Nice balance between sweet/malty & bitter/hoppy. This coule be the best SN product apart frm the Christmas Ale that I've had.

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                    I may have been too hard on the Sierra Nevada Glissade. I guess I allowed the one I drank the other night to get warm, & it wasn't at its best. Polished off 2 more from the 6 pack last night, and they were actually very good. Nice balance between sweet/malty & bitter/hoppy. This coule be the best SN product apart frm the Christmas Ale that I've had.
                    O RLY?

I like their stuff. Next trip to the store, it's on the list.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
                      Saint Arnold's Fancy Lawnmower brew.

It's...it's just so beautiful...
                      Welcome to my beer of choice, FINALLY. The pic I posted last week is of this.

Comment

• Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• YES.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Sorry Rob about SSF4. After Toy Story 3, we went to Gameworks, and I downed some Mac and Jacks.
                            The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

• That's cool, Ceej and I rocked that shit for like 2 hours. Wait until you battle us.

Comment

• Woe to you, oh Earth & Sea
                                For the Devil Sends the 'Borg with Wrath,
                                Because he knows the time is short!

Let him who hath understanding reckon the post count of the 'Borg,
                                For it is a HUMAN post count;

His post count. . . is Six Hundred and Sixty Six. . . .

[Right into thumping gallop bass line & driving guitars]

666th post, baby!

Anyway, here's how I choose to spend it: Over the weekend, when I threw that party for my co-workers, I got to try Stone IPA. I also tried some stuff called Weihenstaphener that one of the guys brought. I liked the Stone, but thought it was a little too bitter. Last weekend I had tried Long Trail IPA (what can I say? Been on a kick lately), and it was better, IMO. Definitely smoother and more drinkable than the Stone. It had the required hops bitterness, yes, but not to the extent Stone did. However, the above mentioned Stone Ruination IPA? Much more full flavored & well balanced than either. The malt balanced out the hops a lot better in the Ruination. Quite possibly my new favorite IPA.

As for the Weihenstaphaner, it was quite good. This surprised me, as I don't generally like German style beers. But this one (a pilsner I assume, but I'm not really sure) was light & crisp, and very refreshing on a hot day (as Saturday was). It was no lightweight, however, but didn't have an overly hoppy, ale like quality to it, IMO. Tasty, smooth & easy to drink. I don't recall ever seeing this stuff before, but I'd consider buying it if I ever do.

REALLY glad homeboy left a few. . . . Is there anything better than throwing a barbecue & winding up with a ton of leftover beer, including a fair amount you didn't buy? I say thee nay!

Edited to add: I almost forgot to say I tried a beer called Chucabra pale ale. I only bought this stuff because it came in a can (a pretty cool one at that, with a snarling, red eyed rendering of ol' Chupie his own self on a bronze colored background), and I needed a can of beer for the beer can chicken. I couldn't find any loose standard sized cans, and there ain't much good stuff that's not in bottles these days (IMO), so I figured what the hell, how bad could it be? I'd only be cooking with it anyway. The beer in beer can chicken is, to my understanding, there more for moisture than flavor, anyway. So I bring this up to the counter with the stuff I bought to actually drink at the party, and the young guy behind the counter says this stuff is actually surprisingly good. I tell him what it's for, and he breaks into a grin & assures me this stuff will make EXCLLENT beer can chicken.

It did. And it was very tasty to drink as well. I think I like this even better than the Flying Dog Doggie Style Pale Ale. It was a little stronger & hoppy. Seemed to have a bit more character, although the Flying Dog may have been more well balanced. I urge you to try this, particularly if you like pale ales. Good as they are, this may be better than either Dos Equis, and it's light years better than Corona or Modelo.
                                Last edited by IggytheBorg; 07-12-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X