'When Harry Met Sally' AKA the ROMCOM/CHICK FLICK Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'When Harry Met Sally' AKA the ROMCOM/CHICK FLICK Thread

Taking this out of the discussion for 'the Expendables'.

I think that 'When Harry Met Sally' is the best Rom Com ever made. Perfectly cast and smartly written, it covers a lot of relationshit ground in a very humorous way. Does all of it necessarily ring true? No, as the New Year's Eve ending is pretty out there on the believability scale, but that doesn't matter...the emotions are real and the viewer can buy into them.

Highlights:
    - The interludes of 'actual' couples discussing their relationships.
    - The orgasm scene. It's a cliche nowadays but it still holds up.
    - The blind date with Bruno Kirby and Carrie Fisher.

Thoroughly entertaining from front to back, no matter your age.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

I'm actually not HUGE on rom-coms - to be honest, I can smell a hokey one a mile away - but I am with you on that "When Harry Met Sally" is the ultimate perfect rom-com. And yes, I went into my reasons while derailing "The Expendibles" thread of why the ending is such total cheese, but the rest of the movie more than holds up.

One of the things that's funny for me, personally, as far as rom-coms go is, I happen to really just love the ones with Hugh Grant. Now, don't mistake that, I'm not saying "If Hugh Grant is in a rom com, I'll see it." What I'm saying is, "God, Rom-Com #1 was so good, it was really cute. And Hugh Grant happened to be in it. Oh, yeah, Rom-Com #2 was adorable, I really loved it - oh, and hey, Hugh Grant happened to be in that one too!" It just seems that if I really like a rom-com, odds are Hugh Grant was probably in it.
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Shaun of the Dead = best ROMCOM
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

When Harry Met Sally is one of my favorites. I can watch it anytime!

Love the couples interspersed through the movie.

Comment

Why in god's name did I watch Nine Months back in '95? What in the hell was I doing?

I must have been queer years before I even knew.
          Last edited by Ed Hocken; 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM.
          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
            Shaun of the Dead = best ROMCOM
            x infinite

I admit to watching She's All That about 100 times on cable because Rachel Leigh Cook is so damn gorgeous.

And Chasing Amy. Though that's more of an anti-romance comedy.

Comment

Annie Hall. End thread.
              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Sad to admit that I've never seen 'Annie Hall'. It's not like I'm avoiding it or anything, but it's just never been on when I've been able to watch it or record it, and I've never thought to rent it.
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen that. The Woody Allen flicks I have seen have done nothing for me. However, that was a long time ago.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Vault Vanderhuge View Post
                    Annie Hall. End thread.
                    Jackpot

Granted it's been years but damn if seeing Annie Hall at 16 was mindblowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                      I don't think I've ever seen that. The Woody Allen flicks I have seen have done nothing for me. However, that was a long time ago.
                      I've totally missed the boat on him as well, Rob. I'm generally indifferent (at best) to most of his films that I've seen, although I have a wicked soft spot for 'What's Up, Tigerlilly?'. 'Annie Hall' is pretty universally revered, though...even non-fans of Allen's love that film.

Comment

"Annie Hall" is indeed wonderful - you really should see it, Matt.

Other than "When Harry Met Sally" totally winning this thread, I'd have to say my #2 spot probably goes to "Four Weddings and a Funeral", off the top of my head. Cheese, yes, but I loved it.
                        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Matt, if you loved What's up, Tiger Lilly. You damn well better be a fan of Bananas.

Comment

never saw 'Bananas'. I kinda liked 'Sleeper' and 'Take the Money and Run', though.

Comment

Never saw BANANAS?!

Matt, as your attorney I strongly advise you to locate a copy. Now, I know the wife won't let you do Netflix. So go find a library and find a copy. It is one of the greatest comedies EVER!

Comment

Working...
                              X