Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Action Sci Fi of all time? (AVATAR DISCUSSION)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdHocken View Post
    Wrong on many levels.

Also for the fact you forget Moon and Children of Men.
    Okay, I'll admit I haven't seen Moon, will rent it shortly. If we want to classify Children of Men as Action Sci Fi I would put on my honorable mention list along with District 9.

I offered up my list, which I fully expect many to put together completely different lists, it is a matter of opinion after all. I don't understand how i can be equivocally wrong. What's your top 5?

EDIT: Another one I might put at number 5 and at least deserves honorable mention in my book is Jurassic Park.
    Last edited by goober8008; 01-06-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

If my suspicions are correct this may be an old friend of mine.

And if it is, sorry Johnny, Avatar is great, but not epic. And will lose alot of the wow factor without the 3d.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Aliens is more action than sci-fi in my opinion.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Krull has the glaive going for it, nothing else. Well, the girl was hot too, I guess.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Take out the glaive and Krull sucks.

Comment

My top 5 'Sci-Fi with Action' films (off the top of my head):

'Aliens'
              'Predator'
              'The Empire Strikes Back'
              'The Terminator'
              'Rollerball' (the original)
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                Aliens is more action than sci-fi in my opinion.
                Also, I must have missed the "List your Action Sci-Fi" movies. Apologies.

Comment

ID4 better make some lists. If we're going by "action sci-fi". As dumb as that movie is, it did have some awesome action sequences in it back in the day.

Comment

Agreed on ID4, but I really can't watch it anymore. The 5 that I listed I could still watch, even though I've nearly killed them all.

Comment

ID4 better make some lists. If we're going by "action sci-fi". As dumb as that movie is, it did have some awesome action sequences in it back in the day.
                      A few. Not many. Unless by action you mean blowing up buildings. The best action scene was the dogfight scene in the canyons.
                      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If my suspicions are correct this may be an old friend of mine.

And if it is, sorry Johnny, Avatar is good, not great. And will lose alot of the wow factor without the 3d.
                        Correct you are sir, it's me, Johnny.

I think Avatar had a great script and excellent writing, and stand by this assertion.

And how the heck can you say Terminator 2 is not a great movie? I did see it recently and didn't realize that it had some pretty weak scenes here and there. Aliens holds up better with time and has the best climax of any Sci Fi ever, including the best one liner; "Get away from her YOU BITCH!" Still get goosebumps.

Don't make me defend the Avatar script, because I will, and it will involve alot of reading.

EDIT: What is ID4, please tell me your not talking about Independence Day...

Comment

Johnny! You should let me change your name to something that doesn't make you sound like 15 year old haha.

And when I get home tonight, I will debate you on Avatar (and I loved it) I just don't think it's gonna hold up in the long run.

Comment

'Avatar' was very good. The only truly GREAT movies in Cameron's library are 'the Abyss', 'Aliens', and 'The Terminator'.

Comment

I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                                WHERE THE FUCK IS ENEMY MINE AND KRULL!?!?

And Avatar, it's pretty, has great pacing, and fucking nothing else going for it.
                                Avatar's basic themes and storyline were not new. Yes, they were a story that's been told since the beginning of time, with recent movies like Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, and Fern Gully all telling the same basic story. But Avatar does it better, with better writing, lots of clever variations and plot devices, and terrific dialogue. People are ragging on Avatar's script way, way too much. Too much cynicism these days, you'd have to be really jaded to ruin Avatar for yourself...

Comment

Working...
                                X