Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Action Sci Fi of all time? (AVATAR DISCUSSION)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Action Sci Fi of all time? (AVATAR DISCUSSION)

So is Avatar the GOAT of all Sci Fi? The ultimate movie with action sequences that you and I can eat up like Furries eat up the romance in the movie?

I don't think so...I don't even think its the best Cameron movie. But it's still easily the best Sci Fi since the Matrix, with all the hallmarks of a Cameron movie:

1.) Perfect pacing
    2.) Smart writing
    3.) A bombastic, thoroughly satisfying, super intense 3rd and Final Act
    4.) Likeable characters you root for or hate
    5.) Groundbreaking special effects

Anyway, who wants to put up there top five Action Sci Fi of all time? Emphasis on ACTION, so we have to disqualify Sci Fi like "Contact" or "2001: A Space Odyessey".

Come to think of it...Avatar may be the GOAT, but I need to see it again for the 3rd time, without an IMAX screen blowing my mind away to be more objective. For now I'll play it safe on my list, let me know what you think and what you choices are.

1.) Aliens (Cameron really nails everything in this movie down to perfection. Dark, realistic Sci Fi that forever ignited my imagination as a kid)

2.) Avatar (More "fun" than Aliens, better special effects, but more conventional story wise)

3.) Terminator 2: Judgement Day

4.) The Matrix

5.) Terminator

Honorable mentions:

The Fifth Element, Predator, Alien, Total Recall, Stargate, Blade Runner, Star Wars Trilogy, Star Trek 4 and 6, maybe Tron...

I know alot of people will crucify me for putting all five above the Star Wars Trilogy, but though I liked those movies, I was more of a Star Trek buff myself. I fully expect Return of the Jedi to dominate most people's lists.

Smart writing?! Wait, what?

And how is D9 not in this list?
    The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

what...no 'Starchaser: the Legend of Orin' in 3D?
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Wait, what?
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Besides, we all know that the absolute BEST action in any science fiction movie was in 'Star Whores'.
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

I'm more particular to Cumshots in Space.
            The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

What does GOAT mean? And T2 isn't good.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

I assume that GOAT means 'Greatest of all Time', Rob.

Comment

And Star Trek 4 or 6 don't deserve any honorable mentions haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    I assume that GOAT means 'Greatest of all Time', Rob.
                    I thought it meant Generalized Occupational Aptitude Test.

Comment

Also, when I have more time (I'm fucking swamped at work atm) I will actually participate in this discussion.

Comment

Wrong on many levels.

Also for the fact you forget Moon and Children of Men.
                        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Also, lulz to RoTJ "topping most lists". But not funny enough. You have work to do.

Comment

WHERE THE FUCK IS ENEMY MINE AND KRULL!?!?

And Avatar, it's pretty, has great pacing, and fucking nothing else going for it.

Comment

Enemy Mine needs more love. Lou is great in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X