Helicopter Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Parents

Can we make an all encompassing thread about horrible, over protective, out of touch helicopter parents? We have a few parents on the forums, so I am sure they have some stories about fellow breeders to share.

My inspiration for this thread is my best friend. Oh Dave, poor Dave. You are so out of touch David. His parents went down to the Valley (that would be the very south of Texas for those not from here) to visit family during Spring Break. They left David's 16 year old brother, Adrian, here with the understanding he would be under supervision of David.

Well, there is a difference in how Adrian has been treated to how David was raised and treated that is best compared to a rain puddle and the Pacific Ocean. There's water in both, but that's the only similarity. David wasn't exactly the best kid. He wasn't horrible, but he got into a lot of trouble. Finally he got expelled and put into alternative school in 8th grade, and his folks decided to send him to this Boy's Ranch up in Amarillo. One of those "become an adult" places.

Now, when David got to come home to visit his folks were fairly strict with him. And rightfully so, he had always been a trouble maker, and they were trying hard to make him into a responsible man. When he graduated and moved home his parents were still pretty strict. He had been gone for four years basically, and they needed to see that he acted right. He eventually got back into his old shit again, plus some, before straightening his act out. The point is, he didn't have your typical teenage upbringing, and when he got his freedom he went buck wild.

So now Adrian is staying for a week. Holy shit, is David going to be the most annoying parent of all time. His brother went over to his house to hang out with friends. This included his girlfriend, another guy and that guy's girl. David flips the hell out, because Adrian is supposed to be staying with him, why is he at home? So David calls his mom, and his mom tells him that he can be at the house with friends, but no girls. Well, ok sure, in principle, but come on we are talking about a 16 year old with an empty home and access to a car. Girls are going to be there. I told David to not flip out, and just talk to Adrian about his concerns and make sure the boy has some rubbers. Well, Adrian already told Dave he had the protection covered. I was like "well hell I am proud of Adrian. I wasn't worried about protection at all near his age. He's obviously responsible, so chill."

This did not fly with Dave. He went on a rampage about "they will respect my mother's home! Adrian is disrespecting my mom's home by having sex there!" I really really really worked hard not to laugh in Dave's face. I told him that's just unreasonable, and that by the time a kid is 16 you have to just hope that how you've raised them sinks in and they're smart with their bad decisions, because bad decisions will be made. Well this just sets Dave off and he goes from knocking boots being the issue to "Well what if they have a falling out! And then this other dude is there and she accuses them of gang raping her!"

Really Dave?

"Anything can happen these days!"

Did you really pull the "these days" card Dave? I was telling my sister I could hear the player piano and the "TODAY IN THE NEWS OF THE WORLD!" reel going on in the background because Dave is turning so old fashioned.

So he has his wife go on Facebook to look up this girlfriend. "She's a whore! She's got all these pictures with short shorts on and low cut shirts!" Holy shit who is this person and what did you do with my best friend? Well I try to talk to him about the reality of the situation, and that trying to preach abstinence doesn't work, etc and Dave turns into "well I'll beat the libido out of him" attitude, so I just sigh.

Now this morning he is flipping out about a concert. Yes, the evil concert going experience. I heard they share the reefer there! His brother is going to the House of Blues for some emo hipster shit concert tonight. David is about to lose his shit. He starts talking about "his problem." I am like, wait, what is the problem? "He's driving downtown by himself, which he has never done at like midnight!"

Ok...I am not seeing the problem, please proceed.

"That is the goddamn problem! He's never driven downtown!"

OK, so make sure the dude has directions and knows to take Louisiana Street back to I-10 when he leaves downtown, and he won't get lost.

"But he's going downtown by himself!"

Dave, you've never driven downtown. Every concert or sporting event you've ever been to I have driven to. Hell, when we went to the Rockets game and drove past the huge ass Discovery Green park you and Jenn (wife) were amazed by it and did not know it even existed.

"Nevermind, you don't have kids. You don't understand, I won't talk to you about it anymore."

Well I was a 16 year old with a car and freedom, so I'm telling you how to communicate with one. Dave, you didn't have a typical teenage upbringing, so there is a disconnect there, and I'm trying to help you. You've got two kids yourself, and you and Jenn both went to the Ranch instead of having your typical teenage years. I'm helping you fill the gap.

"I'll fill the kids gap with my fucking boot."

EDIT: Forgot to mention the best part. Dave is no saint. Like at all. He got sent away because of fighting and selling/smoking pot. Within a year of being home after graduation he was doing eightballs like they were going out of style. He was driving all over Houston from Acres Homes (AKA one of the worst hoods around) to Texas City and back. Hell, he would cut lines on his dashboard while on the freeway. He did worse as well before turning it around...but his incredibly responsible brother (16, has a job, plans to go to the military then go get his degree) he is concerned about driving to a concert. Awesome.

Sigh. Please entertain me with helicopter parent stories.
    Last edited by BillyG; 03-17-2010, 07:22 AM.

I was never allowed to go out with friends while growing up. I was able to get my driver's license at the age of 19 because my parents did not feel it was necessary for me to learn to drive. I was never allowed to have girls in my room. I can keep going but I'm much to lazy right now.
    The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

IT'S ALL STARTING TO MAKE SENSE.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Who the fuck has sex when their parents are in the house?
        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Who the fuck doesn't? Is that a serious question?
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Why? You can't enjoy yourself unless you get off on the possibility of being caught.

Comment

Also, like Kevin Smith, I was not allowed to stay out all day. I would have to physically check back. A phone call was never enough.

Was not allowed to have a girlfriend at 18, but my brother was when he hit 18 two years later.

So much... Summer school EVERY YEAR. I never had to make up grades. My parents just thought it would be beneficial to continuously learn.

Comment

Well that and the fact that when I want to have sex, I'll have sex. I don't care who's around.

Comment

I've had sex when my friends were in the room. Shit doesn't bother me.

Comment

False. You enjoy it more when you do it under their noses.

IT IS MAKING SENSE NOW!!!
                    We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Jobe View Post
                      I've had sex when my friends were in the room. Shit doesn't bother me.
                      Good lord man, were they passed out or were you putting on a show?

Comment

Rob just wants everyone to see his cock.

Comment

Not me, for once.

Comment

I wasn't putting on a show. The girl I was with just wanted to have sex, so I we did. I wasn't pulling a Patrick Bateman or anything. My friends were doing their own thing. haha

Comment

Doing their own thing?

How could do they do anything with the constant noise? Either that or Rob is a stealth fucker.

Christ, I NEED to get laid one of these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X