Del Torro Talks Smaug from "The Hobbit"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Del Torro Talks Smaug from "The Hobbit"

He says they won't start the casting process until they've finished writing: "Literally, like every week, what you discover writing the two movies, writing the two stories, it changes. So, every week there's a discovery, and anything we say this week would be contradicted next week. Certainly that would be true in casting. Why create hopes or why create expectations if down the line you're going to go, 'You know what? That was not a good idea.'"

Regarding the creatures, he says there are so many more to be explored in "The Hobbit" films that were not explored in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. "We want to do a muscle-driven, radio-controlled suits for a couple of things. I already started that with Wink in 'Hellboy II.' Wink was pushed as far as we could within the time limits and the budget limits of the movie and we're going to take what we learned and apply it.

"Smaug is the creature in 'The Hobbit.' The way Tolkien wrote it, already, is magnificent. It's already a fantastic character. So, obviously, dragons, you ask every person what their best favorite dragon is, they will give you a different answer. In my mind, what we're going to attempt on the design of this creature and the creation of this creature needs to push the envelope beyond anything you've ever seen on that kind of creature.

"There is some stuff that has been done with dragons that I find... there are very few landmarks created for me. One of the best and one of the strongest landmarks that almost nobody can overcome is 'Dragonslayer.' The design of the Vermithrax Pejorative is perhaps one of the most perfect creature designs ever made. So, what you have to be careful is not to try to be distinctive just to be distinctive, but Smaug has certain characteristics that make him unique already. I am bursting at the seams about spilling the beans, but I won't because I would be shot."
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'."
    Homer Simpson

"What if you get scared half to death twice?"
    Steven Wright

I. CANNOT. WAIT!
    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

I especially love the fact that he's working directly with Jackson...
      "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'."
      Homer Simpson

"What if you get scared half to death twice?"
      Steven Wright

Comment

this movie has the chance to be totally freakin awesome...but it could crash and burn. i just hope its not like that eragon movie
        why not...

Comment

Well he did name drop Dragonslayer, which does indeed have the best dragon. I'm cautiously optimistic.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

But you hate Dragonslayer.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

I do, but the dragon is a fucking technical marvel.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

the problem is if thats the only good part. if the rest of the movie blows then its all for nothing
                why not...

Comment

Yeah, but I was never really a fan of the Hobbit to begin with. There are some cool parts, but I have a feeling it's going to be long just to be long.

Comment

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/30/...e-screenplays/

GDT OUT!

Comment

Yeah, I'm doubting this ever gets made. Makes me sad.
                      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Probably for the better, I want Del Toro doing his own thing. Not rehashing stuff from ten years ago.
                        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Good. Frankly, I DON'T want 'The Hobbit' to be made. It's over, it's done...we have a nearly perfect trilogy with the LOTR films...just let them be.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Hobbit is a really special book to me, and I'm aching to see it made, but from the beginning I have wanted PJ doing it over GdT.

Comment

http://www.collider.com/2010/09/06/m...bbit-sherlock/

Ugh, if this is true I am so very sad. Freeman is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X