No announcement yet.

Blu Rays: the MUST HAVES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I said I would not rebuy all my DVD's once I get a blu-ray, but if they look even better than they already do with the new TV, my wallet is fucked. BDR amazon link, I'll be comin' for ya.
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Much appreciated sir. And yeah, I haven't rebought EVERYTHING yet, but you should always do your research to make sure an older film you want has a good transfer. Otherwise you're just gonna waste your loot.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Apart from a whole ton of Criterion DVDs, I really haven't bought ANY dvds in the past couple of years. That makes it pretty easy for me to not double up on any DVD/blu ray purchases and piss money away that I don't need to.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

And this is why I end up getting sad. I keep fucking double dipping. I wish I held off on BSG till the Blu-Ray set was out. Gah.
          The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Much appreciated sir. And yeah, I haven't rebought EVERYTHING yet, but you should always do your research to make sure an older film you want has a good transfer. Otherwise you're just gonna waste your loot.

Very true. When WB first got into the Blu-Ray mix, they shat the bed on a 70/30 split. Around mid 2008, their quality improved tenfold.

I'd recommend avoiding most of the early discs like Blazing Saddles, The Fugitive and Terminator 3. They've tried to rectify T3, but you've got to pay attention to the UPC to know if you got a reissued disc.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Can you recommend a good site for researching older blu rays to make sure that they're good transfers?
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

There is no rectifying T3. To do such a thing would mean they'd have to travel back in time.
                The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

thedigitalbits.com is a good one.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    thedigitalbits.com is a good one.

Not as good as they used to be. But, better than most.

As much as I fucking hate the site, BluRay.com tends to do better in technical aspects. Sure, I wouldn't count on their staff to know anything about film. But, if you need an autistic monkey to break down tech specs...they're the best.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      I will not buy 'Speed Racer' or 'The Fifth Element', so don't even bring 'em up.
                      Such a waste. Have a shiny new HDTV & BluRay player and you won't even watch perfect films for the format. *tsk, tsk*
                      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Heat? Public Eniemies? Collateral? No Mann love? (No pun intended)

2001: A Space Odyssey
                        Planet Earth
                        Die Hard
                        Blade Runner
                        District 9
                        American Psycho
                        Fight Club
                        Last edited by PHEDG; 12-16-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Never picked those up so I can't weigh in on them.

Comment

I was just about to say, Rob if you hated Heat. You'd be in a world of shit.

But I realize this is the Blu-Ray thread. So I will end my mini-derail.
                            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Is Collateral on BluRay? How does that look?
                              We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                              - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I don't think it's on Blu...the DVD is in my NF queue...

I would definitely check out:
                                - Wall-E and Up on Blu (both look great)
                                - Anything with Jason Statham
                                - The Incredible Hulk (the sound is tits)
                                - Punisher War Zone

And I second most of the other recommendations (Iron Man for sure)
                                Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Working...
                                X