No announcement yet.

The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reading Dune for the first time ever. Never seen the film either. My brother was obsessed when I was growing up. So far it feels like the Simarillion.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
      So Martin. Grabbed a book from the shelf on the way to work and didn't pay attention to what I picked. DoD. Figured, what the hell, I'll read the opening at lunch. Goddamnit. Hooked already.
      Didn't want this to get missed by the page turn.

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
      I'm reading Dune for the first time ever. Never seen the film either. My brother was obsessed when I was growing up. So far it feels like the Simarillion.
      Stop after the first book.
      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
        Stop after the first book.
        The edition I got has some "Families of Dune" and "Religions of Dune" or some such books included. I don't know how they could write about those subjects for whole books, since Dune itself seems to be about those two things.

Comment

Dune Messiah wasn't bad (the 2nd book). Children of Dune (3rd) is when the series started to really slide. I finished the 4th (God Emperor of Dune) but gave up on the 5th and 6th (Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune).

Those additional books you have sound like companion books. Not part of the series itself.
          We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
          - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yep I'm that guy, but I have got to read this...

Mario Lopez raped a girl, and NBC paid her hush money. Definitely the most damning accusation in the book... but one that Diamond doesn't hedge (like many of the upcoming points). He flat-out says that Mario Lopez "lured [a girl] back to his pad... and was forced to have sex against her will."

NBC's lawyers stepped in to maintain the image of its clean teen stars, though, and paid the girl to be quiet. "And my understanding," Diamond writes, "is that it wasn't a boatload of cash, either, somewhere around fifty grand."

I found this "Variety" article about Lopez being accused of date rape, so there is other corroboration on this. It's amazing -- back in 1993, before the Internet turned the American celebrity gossip press into the British celebrity gossip press, a huge "SBTB" fan like me never heard a word of this. If this date rape accusation had happened 15 years later, within moments of the story coming out a photo of A.C. Slater would've been on Perez Hilton, complete with a MS Paint mouth semen.
            NOOOOOOO

"Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

A girl then.....okay.
              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

more like AC Raper am I right
                "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Oh yeah!

But I wonder how Rob is handling the news. Man must be demoralized.

Comment

I'm not going to be the same for awhile guys.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Rob hasn't been touched like this since that one time at swim camp. OH SNAP!

Comment

Well, if you had to pick your rapist you could probably do a lot worse than Mario Lopez I'm just saying guys
                        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~

Comment

I'd rather have him rape me than Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                            I'd rather have him rape me than Max.
                            That still leaves the opportunity for Sreech to felch you.

Comment

Polished off the collection the first three Barsoom books from Burroughs (got it for Christmas), and I'm finishing off the second volume of the Eerie collections from Dark Horse. After that, I got nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by EdHocken View Post
                                That still leaves the opportunity for Sreech to felch you.
                                MISTER BELLLDIIIINNGG

Also, Don Winslow's Power of the Dog = still GREAT.

~

Comment

Working...
                                X