No announcement yet.

Stuff I want...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always wanted one, but it's more of a pipe dream at this point than anything else. My god mother has one set into the granite floor of her living room.. It's awesome

EDIT: Just realized that photo is of a jacuzzi on a boat. My god mother has a jacuzzi, not a boat, in her living room floor

Comment

• But how cool would it be if she had both, amirite?
      2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
        But how cool would it be if she had both, amirite?
        Pretty cool, but also sort of unfortunate because a yacht cool enough to have a jacuzzi would go to waste if it were stuck in your living room!

Comment

• Booo for expensive dolls that I want! Boooo, I tell you!

So this June, George and I are headed up to the big antique fleamarkets in Amish country for Anniversary Trip #2. Last year's Anniversary Trip #1 was to the same place, so needless to say, this fleamarket is nothing short of awesome - they have the coolest stuff anywhere, and oddly enough, a lot of it is pretty reasonably priced and in beautiful condition.

We're both big on collectibles from our childhood, and one of the things that always makes fleamarket trips fun is - we each pick some collectible we'd like to hunt down, and make that our goal. It doesn't have to be written in blood, and certainly if we find other cool things for good prices, we don't pass them by. But it's just something that makes it more fun, you know - "what would you like to find on this trip?"

So George posed the question to me last week - "What are you going to hunt for on our flea market trip this year?" My goal this year? I'd love to find an original Mattell "Twiggy" doll. She's pretty rare, though - out of the box, in good condition with her original clothes, she can go anywhere from $150 to $200.

That's a little rich for my blood, so I'm not sure.

But in the box? Unopened?

Anywhere from $325 to around $425 bucks. That's not to say I'll find her out there at all, it's just sort of a thing we do. But it's pretty damn depressing to think that given that price, I'll probably never own her!
          2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

• Pretty cool, Lisa.

Me, I want all of the Japanese Robotech toys from the 80s. We were in Stillwater a few weeks ago and did a bit of antique shopping...I'll be damned if one of the stores didn't have one of the big SDF-1 toys. It was standing there in the case, daring me to buy it. If it had been complete, I would have (it was 'as is', and was missing the aircraft carrier arms and a few other things).

I also want the veritechs and armored cyclones. I remember seeing these for sale in Disneyworld (in 'Japan' at the world showcase) for around $100 each.

drooooooooooooooool...
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I want surfing lessons, trying to figure out which school is good but there are no reviews right now.
              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Matt, I hear ya, I hear ya - it must be even tougher for you, given that you'd like to have all of them. I'm just looking for the occassional doll here and there, provided I even have space for her.

Twiggy's a bitch to find because of how Mattel put her together. She's one of the first celebrity dolls they came out with, and they basically cobbled her together from another Barbie doll. So Twiggy's body is much skinnier than the curvier Barbie body - that's because they used the body from Barbie's younger cousin "Francie" and her friend "Casey", both of whom had a much smaller bust, hips and not as waspy of a waist as Barbie did, who was more hourglass. Then for her head - they used the "Casey" head, and repainted the makeup - one of Twiggy's trademarks was her jet-black and fringey eyelashes. Twiggy herself said in an interview that they used to put three pairs of false lashes on her, and then "draw" on extra lower lashes below her lash line. So that's where the extra facial painting comes in on the doll - Twiggy is basically the full Casey doll with extra lashes, black eye makeup and a shorter hair-do. But I've seen plenty of antique dealers who don't really know Barbies that well who'll have the Casey out on the shelf and claim that it's Twiggy. So you have to look closely at the hair (which is blonde, but a little shorter on Twiggy), and most importantly, the face, which has the heavier eyemakeup. I just saw one on ebay yesterday - the auction said it was Twiggy, but you can tell by the much more natural looking eye design that it's actually Casey.

Comment

• "Awww crap, there's a clog in the torso hold. Leroy! Leroy! Get yer ass over here!"

"Shut yer hole."
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Yo, Lisa! Would this work?

How about this?

Yo, Matt! Didn't forget about you, bro!
                    And if you got the $$$, here's a cyclone!

Ah, how I love to help my fellow toy geeks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                      Yo, Lisa! Would this work?

How about this?
                      [URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/Matchbox-Robotech-SDF-1-Battle-Fortress-Boxed-Stickers_W0QQitemZ280481116333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414dfa30ad"]
                      Wow!! WOW!!! Did you see that second one? The first one is a little more of what I tend to see- a doll that's slightly beat up for a higher price. That second ne - I don't know whether to be suspicious or excited! Then again, the bids will be through the roof by the time the auction ends, so I don't think she'll wind up being cheap even though she's only up to $51 right now. But at least I have a shot at the action - I'll wait till it gets closer! Thanks, buddy!

Comment

• Hope you win it, Lisa! If you do, post a pic of you with the doll when you get it!

Comment

• I haven't collected for years but I really want this book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post

Yo, Matt! Didn't forget about you, bro!
                            And if you got the $$$, here's a cyclone!

Ah, how I love to help my fellow toy geeks!
                            Yeah, those are the ones...dammit. Too rich for my blood at the moment. Would totally LOVE to have that SDF-1 on display in my mancave, though.
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I'm tempted to put a bid on that Twiggy tomorrow, Tim, and here's why - I'm shocked that she hasn't moved that much on bids since you posted that link the other day. When I tell you, this doll is going for about $425 NRFB on other auctions, I"m not kidding. I can't pounce on the auction when it ends, because I'll be out at dinner with a visiting relative and some family tomorrow at that time, but I may put a bid on her before I leave for the day. I doubt I'll get her, and I don't doubt that she'll be up to a fortune by the time the real heavy "end of the auction war" heats up, but hey, you never know.

Comment

• Ahh, well. She's already up to $102, which is more than affordable for NRFB, but more than I can swing right now. Plus, it's only 10 AM - it's going to get UGLY during the last few minutes of this auction, which I won't be in front of a computer for. Looks like I'm not bidding on this one! Thanks anyway, Tim!

Comment

Working...
                                X