Prometheus and ALL OTHER NEW ALIEN/PREDATOR SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
    Scott is and will always be a visual director who has never quite mastered shooting a script.
    Mmmmm, I hear what you're saying and I'm certainly not gonna outright defend the man's entire body of work, but three films disagree with you.

Alien

Blade Runner, and (I'll say it)

Gladiator

Those films are remembered for much more than just being pretty. Each has a good, if pulpy script, turned into something magnificent thanks to excellent casting and memorable performances. Any faults in these three films are wholly down to interference (Blade Runner), budget (Alien, Gladiator) or cast death (Olly Reed).
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Absolutely. I don't think he could have delivered a film as thrilling as Alien in under 2 hours without knowing what he's about. I'm far from his biggest fan, but I totally see the logic in what you're saying, Ben.

Legend is truly style over substance, although it's probably the only (other) film of Scott's I really dislike despite the occasionally sumptuous visuals... and the presence of Tim Curry. It was so inconsistent I actually couldn't accept it was his, at first.
      Last edited by Bobby Bear; 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM.
      "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I personally consider BLACK RAIN to be his best directorial effort in terms of directing ACTORS and focusing on the story over the visuals. It's still very stylish and strong visually, but it doesn't distract from the story itself.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
          Mmmmm, I hear what you're saying and I'm certainly not gonna outright defend the man's entire body of work, but three films disagree with you.

Alien

Blade Runner, and (I'll say it)

Gladiator

Those films are remembered for much more than just being pretty. Each has a good, if pulpy script, turned into something magnificent thanks to excellent casting and memorable performances. Any faults in these three films are wholly down to interference (Blade Runner), budget (Alien, Gladiator) or cast death (Olly Reed).

Alien's script was done and locked before Scott was even a consideration. So, that's kind of an oddity in the situation.

Blade Runner's script has issues to the point that they created memorable errors.

Gladiator was repolished so much before Scott even laid a finger on the page to read and shoot.

It's not a bad thing, but it's just indicative of an older type of director.
          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Saw it.

Not great, but definitely not bad.
            You can't call it "horrible". Sorry, your hyperbole won't pass.

It's not Alien, but calling it poop makes you sounds retarded. Sure, lots of plotholes, but people here were (maybe rightfully) expecting Alien-quality sci-fi. As a sci-fi movie without the Alien pedigree: a good movie. You have to seperate criticism from expectations.

Story-wise, it's not very good, but it's Scott, so it's beautiful, and well shot. The script... damn... Lindehof made another Lost: barely makes sense.

Still, this is a theater movie. A 7/10.
            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• As we've all stressed, expectations don't change the fact that these characters are some of the worst scientists in the universe, doing dumb things JUST to move the film forward. Whatever the film gets right, that scuppers the whole affair for me. It's DTV horror movie behaviour.

It's a 4/10 for me.
              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Oh they are shitty scientists there's no denying that. And had dumb moments, but overall, I had fun with it. In no way TERRIBLE!!!!! like Bobby and whoever else stated. I could lower my note to 6.5/10 or a 6, but no less. There was still a lot of craft at work there.
                Last edited by Martin; 06-13-2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• I'd give it a 10 for visuals, an 8 for concept and overall story, a 9 for acting, and a 3 for script. That averages to a 7.5, which I'm comfortable with.
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• New Penny Arcade made me laugh, and I haven't seen the movie yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      I'd give it a 10 for visuals, an 8 for concept and overall story, a 9 for acting, and a 3 for script. That averages to a 7.5, which I'm comfortable with.
                      Pretty much like me Matt. But goddamn, did the script SUCKED. Will there be a sequel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        Saw it.

Not great, but definitely not bad.
                        You can't call it "horrible". Sorry, your hyperbole won't pass.

It's not Alien, but calling it poop makes you sounds retarded. Sure, lots of plotholes, but people here were (maybe rightfully) expecting Alien-quality sci-fi. As a sci-fi movie without the Alien pedigree: a good movie. You have to seperate criticism from expectations.
                        I think you're right Martin. My expectations were way too high.

For instance, I expected:

• A coherent plot
                        • Unified theme
                        • Characters that are well defined and consistent
                        • Answers to questions the movie itself poses

Perhaps my expectations were too high. I'm open to that. I mean, it's probably just me that I'm completely disappointed in the fact that a director like Ridley turned in a film that approaches Michael Bay/Transformers levels of stupidity.

Story-wise, it's not very good, but it's Scott, so it's beautiful, and well shot. The script... damn... Lindehof made another Lost: barely makes sense.
                        Not very good? Not VERY GOOD? Jesus man, what film did you see? Calling the Prometheus script not very good is like saying Kat Dennings has okay breasts.

The script was a fucking disaster. I can't think of one major story beat that didn't have something wrong with it. In fact, the entire set up is fucking nonsensical and falls apart the minute you analyze it.

To wit: if these maps were an invitation, why are we being sent to a weapons manufacturing plant (assuming that's what it is, and I have my doubts, and even if it is that, how the fuck did Captain Sexual Chocolate suss that out?)? That's like us telling a native tribe somewhere in the Amazon to drop in on us at a local Lockheed-Martin facility.

If the maps weren't an friendly invitation, why go through the trouble at all? They're an advanced race -- they'd have to know that not many people would get to that planet and get killed before us humans figured out that it's a bad idea to go there.

Furthermore, why would a clear thinking android like David introduce an unstable element like an alien contagion into the crew? That makes no sense at all. And how exactly does this contagion work that it can impregnate Noomi?

And why was Noomi impregnated at all? From a story perspective, it's not necessary and is basically ignored until the very end of the film.

Which reminds me, why the fuck does Sexy Anthropologist Guy get all butt hurt when he runs into a long dead culture. HE'S A FUCKING ANTHROPOLOGIST! THAT'S ALL THEY FUCKING DO! STUDY LONG DEAD FUCKING CULTURES. I can see being disappointed, but he's studying PROBABLY THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DISCOVERY IN HUMAN FUCKING HISTORY! Seriously! It makes no goddamn sense.

And speaking of making no goddamn sense, you're asking me to buy the fact that a scientist -- who fucking invented a probe that remotely maps an area -- gets lost trying to leave the "pyramid?" (That's another thing: it's not a fucking pyramid guys -- it's a fucking dome!) Or that his buddy -- who's clearly terrified of meeting an alien lifeform -- turns around five minutes later and wants to play in the Engineers Super Happy Snake Petting Zoo?

This movie makes no goddamn sense on any level. Dismissing these issues (and there are a lot more) is indicative of very low standards.
                        I mean, you do realize that a film is a visual story, right? So, the script has to be, oh, like, semi-important.

I don't care if there are plot holes, typically. But they can't be egregious and insulting. Bladerunner has several, but I overlook them because the rest of that film is so good and they're not outrageous. Prometheus looks good, but everything else is crap.

Fassbender is decent, I guess. But the rest -- feh.

Scott blew it here.
                        Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Pretty much like me Matt. But goddamn, did the script SUCKED. Will there be a sequel?
                          "This cake sucks. Can I have more?"
                          Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Originally posted by BMichaelKrol View Post
                            I think you're right Martin. My expectations were way too high.

For instance, I expected:

• A coherent plot
                            • Unified theme
                            • Characters that are well defined and consistent
                            • Answers to questions the movie itself poses
                            Perhaps my expectations were too high. I'm open to that. I mean, it's probably just me that I'm completely disappointed in the fact that a director like Ridley turned in a film that approaches Michael Bay/Transformers levels of stupidity.

Not very good? Not VERY GOOD? Jesus man, what film did you see? Calling the Prometheus script not very good is like saying Kat Dennings has okay breasts.

The script was a fucking disaster. I can't think of one major story beat that didn't have something wrong with it. In fact, the entire set up is fucking nonsensical and falls apart the minute you analyze it.

To wit: if these maps were an invitation, why are we being sent to a weapons manufacturing plant (assuming that's what it is, and I have my doubts, and even if it is that, how the fuck did Captain Sexual Chocolate suss that out?)? That's like us telling a native tribe somewhere in the Amazon to drop in on us at a local Lockheed-Martin facility.

If the maps weren't an friendly invitation, why go through the trouble at all? They're an advanced race -- they'd have to know that not many people would get to that planet and get killed before us humans figured out that it's a bad idea to go there.

Furthermore, why would a clear thinking android like David introduce an unstable element like an alien contagion into the crew? That makes no sense at all. And how exactly does this contagion work that it can impregnate Noomi?

And why was Noomi impregnated at all? From a story perspective, it's not necessary and is basically ignored until the very end of the film.

Which reminds me, why the fuck does Sexy Anthropologist Guy get all butt hurt when he runs into a long dead culture. HE'S A FUCKING ANTHROPOLOGIST! THAT'S ALL THEY FUCKING DO! STUDY LONG DEAD FUCKING CULTURES. I can see being disappointed, but he's studying PROBABLY THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DISCOVERY IN HUMAN FUCKING HISTORY! Seriously! It makes no goddamn sense.

And speaking of making no goddamn sense, you're asking me to buy the fact that a scientist -- who fucking invented a probe that remotely maps an area -- gets lost trying to leave the "pyramid?" (That's another thing: it's not a fucking pyramid guys -- it's a fucking dome!) Or that his buddy -- who's clearly terrified of meeting an alien lifeform -- turns around five minutes later and wants to play in the Engineers Super Happy Snake Petting Zoo?

This movie makes no goddamn sense on any level. Dismissing these issues (and there are a lot more) is indicative of very low standards.
                            I mean, you do realize that a film is a visual story, right? So, the script has to be, oh, like, semi-important.

I don't care if there are plot holes, typically. But they can't be egregious and insulting. Bladerunner has several, but I overlook them because the rest of that film is so good and they're not outrageous. Prometheus looks good, but everything else is crap.

Fassbender is decent, I guess. But the rest -- feh.

Scott blew it here.
                            Yes yes yes. The script sucked. We all know that. So the rest of the movie sucked as well? No. Not at all. I can still find interresting stuff in suck a movie with a bad script. There's a lot of great onscreen.

And why was Noomi impregnated at all?
                            Duh. Testing. Wayland probably didn't know what would happen, but attempted to control the results by cryo.

Fassbender is "decent". You're joking, right? So Rapace and Theron sucked? Get a grip.

The cake sucked for you, congrats. Did Ridely Scott assfucked your mother to death to lose that much perspective?

Comment

• Gotta agree on pretty much everything that BMichael said, but i also have ro admit to enjoying the experience overall. It visually satisfied me enough to counteract the script failures.

Comment

• And he's right (beside the point I adressed), cause it's all the problems of the script. But if you can't overlook that, so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X