Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hitcher.

I vaguely recall seeing this when I was really young, maybe six or seven, so the entire nihilistic tone was lost on my prepubescent self.

In a pre-No Country world, it would be somewhat difficult to find many films that shared a similar ever-present dread conveyed so well, and mostly through the relationship between the protagonist and antagonist.

A rare find. Howell's mullet should have been nominated.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Stay away from the remake. As nice as Sophia Bush is on the eyes it's just not worth it. Rutger Hauer is pretty great in the original.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• THE HITCHER is the goods, one of the best thrillers of the 80s. I heard that the remake was ass so I never watched it...although I did see a clip of the new version of the truck scene. ICK.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• The new version would be just above terrible failure IF the original didn't exist. However since it does, terrible failure imho.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Motherfuckin' Good Burger.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
              Stay away from the remake.
              I saw the the remake while waiting for a better movie to come on.

It was terrible. Sophia Bush should stick to blowing rich dudes for a living.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Agreed, although if she's down for some charity work I'm game.

Comment

• Originally posted by PHEDG View Post
                  Might as well finish the job and recast the whole movie.

What about hot Kirstie Alley and surfer girl Courtney Thorne-Smith?
                  Hmm. Good question, sir. Maybe... Rebecca Hall for Ms. Bishop? I'm probably not the best person to pick the students. There aren't many age-appropriate actors today I'm that big a fan of.

Someone like Jon Hamm might be interesting for Vine Principal Gills? He could bring just the right balance of smarmy superiority and class.

If Rosario Dawson were 10 or 12 years younger, she'd be great for Denise.

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                  Mmmmmmmmmm... Courtney-Thorne Smith...
                  She really was very good in that movie. I don't think I'd ever seen her before, but she made a big impression with a role that could easily have turned sour.

Originally posted by Ari View Post
                  .... From Beyond. It was a Stuart Gordon weekend for me.
                  Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                  NICE.
                  Indeed, my good man! It holds up incredibly well. Love the extra-icky unrated footage added for the DVD release.

Originally posted by teledork View Post
                  Worth my while? Really?
                  Good sir, did you not see:

1. The tagline?
                  2. "H.P. Lovecraft's...?"
                  3. "From the creators of Re-Animator?"
                  4. The Empire pictures logo?

Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                  From Beyond is a must see.
                  Truer words...

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                  Stay away from the remake. As nice as Sophia Bush is on the eyes it's just not worth it.
                  I've often wondered about whether she'd be enough to justify watching it. Does it offer nothing at all? I do like her quite a bit.
                  "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Coneheads

To my knowledge, this was the first time I'd seen this all the way through. The first thing that struck me was the incredible amount of comic talent (and how average much of the comedy is considering.) While it's not got all that much in the way of big laughs, I really like the concept and there's plenty of charm to be had, especially from McKean and Spade's relationship.

The third act climax had some lovely design work (and stop-mo, and matte paintings... ah, history!) although it's weird how out of place it felt, like a leftover from an earlier, very different draft. Maybe that's just a result of the story getting stretched a bit to meet the running time or something.

Sky High

If this didn't have such a good cast, I doubt I'd have watched it all. It's not that it's bad, it's just not aimed at me and I recognize that. Still, any excuse to have some quality Kelly Preston brought before my eyes is welcome.

Bobby's 80's Disco Party (By Disco, He Means Movies!)

Adventures in Babysitting

Delightful. Maia Brewton's performance is probably one of the best examples of child acting I've seen in ages. Shue was wonderful (and insanely cute), especially when dancing around her room, miming while she gets ready. Also, the improv blues scene was joyous.

Howard the Duck

I love this film. It's not just sexy punk-rock Lorraine McFly. It's not just body-horror Ed Rooney, or the way "George Lucas Presents..." leaps off the screen seconds into the picture. It's not even Admiral Ackbar helping bring an articulate duck to life on the silver screen. It's just the sheer craziness of it. I literally gaped when I saw the topless lady duck in the bath when Howard is propelled to Earth. It's absolutely, unashamedly crackers from start to finish, basically. There's a hilarious amount of inappropriate content of that nature, none of which I remembered if I ever did see this way back when.

In short*, sensational.

* Deliberate punnage.

ยกThree Amigos!This doesn't hold up quite as well as I thought it would. Laughs are surprisingly few and far between, and it just seems to coast along with no real thrust and an over-reliance on the (admittedly great) schtick of the leads to carry the flick. Nonetheless, Lovitz and Hartman generate a tremendous amount of goodwill, even if they were only in one scene.
                    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Coneheads and Howard are both great.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING is great, totally worth it for the blues bar scene alone.

Um...I'm a babysitter

Da DA da da dum...

Fucking killed me.
                        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                        Originally posted by gravedigger
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                          From Beyond is a must see.
                          I'm currently watching Transformers Prime with my kid, and Jeffrey Coobs is doign the voice of ratchet. And guess what? In one episode he has a huge syringe of green stuff he injects himself with! I was fucking geeking out all alone in my living room....

So...

The Killer Elite

That was pretty average, all things considered. Statham has this talent to be in average projects to could be so much better. I mean, I loved the setting, but the more it drags, the more I became bored.

The Darkest Hour

Middle of the road sci-fi movie for the MTV generation. The concept the aliens is pretty neat, but overall, so fucking average. It felt like one act of a good movie. And after, I watched...

Vanishing of the 7th Street.

I watched this based on the Brad Anderson name alone, despite having shitty actors like Anakin Skywalker (who wasn't that bad in Jumper and Shattered Glass), the fucking Pest and Thandi "Halle Berry light" Newton. What a waste of time. Boring, having killing shadows that are repelled by lights and linking it to the Crotoan mythos was lazy.

What's hilarious: none of these fucks had the simple idea of lighting a bonfire and keeping it fed all the time. But the nice thing is that it made The Darkest Hour look like a masterpiece.
                          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING is great, totally worth it for the blues bar scene alone.

Um...I'm a babysitter

Da DA da da dum...

Fucking killed me.
                            And it has THOR!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                              Howard the Duck

I love this film. It's not just sexy punk-rock Lorraine McFly. It's not just body-horror Ed Rooney, or the way "George Lucas Presents..." leaps off the screen seconds into the picture. It's not even Admiral Ackbar helping bring an articulate duck to life on the silver screen. It's just the sheer craziness of it. I literally gaped when I saw the topless lady duck in the bath when Howard is propelled to Earth. It's absolutely, unashamedly crackers from start to finish, basically. There's a hilarious amount of inappropriate content of that nature, none of which I remembered if I ever did see this way back when.

In short*, sensational.

* Deliberate punnage.

ยกThree Amigos!This doesn't hold up quite as well as I thought it would. Laughs are surprisingly few and far between, and it just seems to coast along with no real thrust and an over-reliance on the (admittedly great) schtick of the leads to carry the flick. Nonetheless, Lovitz and Hartman generate a tremendous amount of goodwill, even if they were only in one scene.

Agreed with 3 amigos. Nostalgia is a bitch. Howard also aged poorly. It's an ok movie I guess, but this whole teasing of a punk-rock Lea Thompson nearly naked is still very frustrating. Nearly as Casual Sex having none of it.

Also, ffter learning of Jeffrey Jones's pedophila habits, this whole Dark Overlord of the Universe buiness really was a codeword for childfucking, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                I'm currently watching Transformers Prime with my kid, and Jeffrey Coobs is doign the voice of ratchet. And guess what? In one episode he has a huge syringe of green stuff he injects himself with!
                                There's a neat little meta touch like that in the Deep Space Nine episode "In the Cards," where Combs, as the Vorta clone Weyoun, announces that he has an active interest in the concept of immortality.

Comment

Working...
                                X