The Films of James Cameron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Films of James Cameron

Moving this from the other thread, which was getting derailed.

Originally posted by Throatwobbler Mangrove View Post
    The films of James Cameron (excluding 'Piranha II: the Spawning' which I haven't seen)

1. 'The Terminator'
    2. 'The Abyss'
    3. 'Aliens'
    4. 'Avatar'
    5. 'Titanic'
    6. 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day'
    7. 'True Lies'

And the top 3 are close enough in quality and enjoyment that it could almost be a 3 way tie.
    To elaborate:
    1. 'The Terminator': Perfect casting, a tight script, and a fast pace combine to make one of the best and most riveting science fiction/action films of all time. The plot works and there are very few (if any) plot holes or lapses in logic. The quality of the film belies the relatively low budget to produce something that still astounds to this day.
    2. 'The Abyss': Again, perfect casting, an involving emotional script that FEELS right, and fantastic special effects all come together to make a deeply involving and suspenseful thriller. Ed Harris has never been better, and he anchors a cast that all delivers the goods perfectly. It's the emotion in the script that elevates it.
    3. 'Aliens': AGAIN, perfect casting. It maintains a sense of forboading and dread for most of its runtime, and the last half of the movie is so grippingly intense that you can't STOP watching it. Memorable actors deliver infinitely quotable lines. It's fun and it's thrilling with almost zero bloat.
    4. 'Avatar': Solid casting delivers the goods. The plot isn't all that great but it's all about the presentation which is top notch. It's a first rate production that sometimes goes on a little long (it could stand an edit) but it never outlasts its welcome.
    5. 'Titanic': Perfect casting, but the plot itself is contrived and the characters don't feel all that real. You never forget that you're watching fake characters interacting with REAL people, and that takes me out of it. Like 'Avatar', it could stand an edit (especially in the first half), but it gets riveting once the boat starts to sink.
    6. 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day': a bloated mess full of plot holes and really bad lapses of logic. The tight economy and speed of the first film is replaced with gee-whiz special effects that look great but go on for waaay too long. The film sinks under its own weight in the middle. The acting is really good from most of the principles (especially Linda Hamilton) but Edward Furlong is a charisma nadir, ruining the character.
    7. 'True Lies': a comedy with almost zero laughs. Bloated and overwrought with cutesiness throughout, you never buy into the premise and thusly never care about the people or their actions. It's a passive experience. Thank God Paxton and Arnold are there to actually generate laughs.
    The Terminator
    18.18%
    T2
    0.00%
    Titanic
    0.00%
    18.18%
    Aliens
    36.36%
    True Lies
    0.00%
    The Abyss
    27.27%
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

I'll agree to the top three, but the other four can be re-arranged in any order.
    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Still think Aliens doesn't hold up as well as Terminator.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Just added a poll.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

How do you expect people to choose? All these movies are fucking awesome.
          I LOVE BEER !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bdubbs2010 View Post
            This! But I made my choice and I'm ok with it.

I think.
            Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Bdubbs2010 View Post
              3 are AWESOME
              2 are EXCELLENT
              2 are OK

To his credit, none of them outright suck.
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Throatwobbler Mangrove View Post
                3 are AWESOME
                2 are EXCELLENT
                2 are OK

To his credit, none of them outright suck.
                Okay, so maybe you have a point. But I'm not a he, thank you very much.
                I LOVE BEER !!!

Comment

Lulz. The "he" was in reference to Cameron. Although, Piranha 2 is pretty fucking great in its own right.

Comment

James Cameron is a HE, though. That's who I was referring to in that sentence

Comment

'His' meaning Cameron.

ETA: That was cute. We all posted at the same time.
                      Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by ingrid View Post
                        'His' meaning Cameron.

ETA: That was cute. We all posted at the same time.
                        Well, you all made a point. Sorry for my Blond moment.
                        I LOVE BEER !!!

Comment

I went with Aliens for the exact reasons quoted in the first post, though any of the first four would be a great choice. Titanic, while great once the boat starts sinking, doesn't do it for me like the rest of the list does. Again, this flick wasn't geared to me, so I'm not the best to judge it. Same with Avatar - I've only seen it once, and while dazzling visually, it needs some more work storywise. All inall, though, it was pretty good, better than I thought it would be. Need to give it another view.

Both Terminator flicks are great, but the first is clearly the superior - storywise, pacing, character-wise... the film fires on all cylinders.

True Lies is goofy fun, the 80's-90's over-the-top action genre at it's best.

Comment

Tim is the only sane one here.

ETA: Apologies to the ladies, you're sane too.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X