No announcement yet.

'When Harry Met Sally' AKA the ROMCOM/CHICK FLICK Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great flick. I didn't love the split-screen couples conversation the way I thought I would (it felt a little tonally out of sync with the rest of the film) but it works. Crystal's a hoot and Carrie Fisher does a wonderful job of capturing that emotional stasis being hung up on someone can cause.

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
    And Chasing Amy.
    YES.

I've seen it more times than I can really estimate and happily go back for more on a fairly regular basis.

Originally posted by Vault Vanderhuge View Post
    Annie Hall.
    Originally posted by Matt View Post
    Sad to admit that I've never seen 'Annie Hall'. It's not like I'm avoiding it or anything, but it's just never been on when I've been able to watch it or record it, and I've never thought to rent it.
    Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen that. The Woody Allen flicks I have seen have done nothing for me. However, that was a long time ago.
    I strongly recommend yous both watch it sooner rather than later. It's one of my favourite films ever, an absolute revelation, and so funny throughout.

Diane Keaton is delightful.

I could go on...
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Fight Club.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

Or Groundhog Day.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

Say Anything...

Love love love.
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
            Say Anything...

Love love love.
            I'll see that and raise you with 'The Sure Thing'.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
              I'll see that and raise you with 'The Sure Thing'.
              Do I need to see The Sure Thing before I can play the Once card?

Mad love for ya, Glen!

Comment

ah Hell...I haven't seen 'Once' yet.
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

You'll be on a Frames/Swell Season buying spree afterwards.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

Once isn't a romcom, though is it?

Annie Hall may well be the "better" film, but I still think When Harry Met Sally is the better romcom and nothing anyone can say will change that. I'm a child of the 80s, what can I say? Easily one of my top ten favourite films and one of my most watched. Indeed, the orgasm scene is imitated for a reason - its brilliant and hilarious, even now.

Another classic that I never get tired of - The Apartment. Beautiful, witty, sad, cute and most of all, damn funny. I really want my own Miss Kubelik - Shirley Maclaine is enchanting and beautiful here. Its a great film and up there as one of the best ever made. Not just romcoms, films.

Four Weddings is great, but Andie MacDowell nearly ruins it ("Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed"). I'll throw some love Notting Hill's way too. Its a very sweet film. But don't anyone mention Love, Actually. I have too many problems with that film to go into and never felt the need to see it again. And I've seen The Holiday 4 times, which is actually not a very good film but a pretty warm, watchable one nonetheless.
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

Not a typical one, no.

It's certainly a part of the subgenres.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

I don't get Woody Allen either, so no Annie Hall love from me. Once is more of a romance/musical than a rom-com though.

If we add the post-mortum to it, how about Spaced? Even though it's a TV show it was very much a rom-com.

Comment

It was more a platonicom.

/shoots self for spawning a turrible term
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

We're going to see Ben on BBC News getting arrested for singing acoustic death metal on a bus about his ex before the week is out.

Comment

More like ranting on a plane to the passengers about what a bitch she is, stealing some ciders, jumping down the emergency chute shouting, "There goes 29 years..." and getting arrested later on, fucking her sister. And mum.
                              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

I got even money that says said incident will then be brought up in the following session of Prime Minister's questions.
                                "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Working...
                                X