Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People  

Go Back   Brain Dead Radio: A Garbage Place for Garbage People > General Category > Comics and Literature

Comics and Literature We're not the hugest comic nerds out there, but we have been known to read an issue of "Spider-Ham" from time to time.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 AM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Anderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy225 View Post
Shit, I dimly recall a brief moment in time when the Beast was allegedly gay. Iceman possibly being gay was hinted at as well. Felt more like Marvel running said ideas up the flagpole, seeing if anyone saluted, since having Northstar coming out in Alpha Flight worked so well.
The Beast being gay was an off the cuff remark during his second mutation in the Morrison era.

It was something like he didn't know if he was gay, straight or human anymore. It was more of a statement that he was losing his humanity.

Now, Hercules of the Avengers was implied to have fucked a teenage boy.

Click here to visit AndersonVision!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Made Mr. T Cry

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

How Greek of him.
You have to understand, these are people who work hard for a living. They have tough lives. Structured lives. They work all day, then they have dinner, put their kids to bed, go to sleep, and get back to the set at five o’clock the next morning. Everything else in life except for dreams has rules.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 AM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Anderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandasAnderson is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Russ View Post
How Greek of him.

That was the context.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 AM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Having just finished The Black Vortex crossover and the Iceman is gay issue Epilogue, there's something really off putting connection the revelation.

During the Black Vortex, time displaced Bobby got cosmic powers. At the end of Black Vortex, there was a condition that you could return the powers but be changed by the experience.

So, is Marvel saying that the Black Vortex turned him gay? Bendis seems to try to swerve around it with Angel's explanation of keeping his powers, but the inverse effect is still there.

Which is really sad, because these were two good issues.

Especially because Star Lord and Kitty Pryde got engaged at the end of the Black Vortex and it was the first big moment that Kitty got since Whedon started fucking with her back in 2005.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
How Greek of him.
Must spread rep (not young boys' cheeks), blah blah. . . .

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:01 AM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Secret Wars #1 was so damn good.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Captain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The FaheyCaptain Russ is as epic as The Fahey

You know who never gets enough love?

Hank Ketcham.

Bought a bunch of the collected Dennis the Menace books last week and can't stop trying to draw with that sort of line. Confident, deceptively simple, and fucking on point every single time out of the gate.
You have to understand, these are people who work hard for a living. They have tough lives. Structured lives. They work all day, then they have dinner, put their kids to bed, go to sleep, and get back to the set at five o’clock the next morning. Everything else in life except for dreams has rules.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Quote:
You know who never gets enough love?

Hank Ketcham.

Bought a bunch of the collected Dennis the Menace books last week and can't stop trying to draw with that sort of line. Confident, deceptively simple, and fucking on point every single time out of the gate.

I never got that deep into comic strip work. I dig Eisner (of course), Caniff and a few others.

Still, there's something to be said for the comedic talents.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Made Mr. T Cry

Since it was more of kids comic than anything else, I feel Ketcham gets overlooked. But he has that same natural sensibility to his compositions (mostly in the acting of his characters) that Rockwell also exhibited.

And yeah, Milt was an incredible talent that most don't know about or just don't take the time to study.

Noel Sickles was also criminally underrated though a few modern guys are trying to bring his name back into the fold (and rightly so).

Last edited by Captain Russ; 05-06-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 PM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Quote:
Since it was more of kids comic than anything else, I feel Ketcham gets overlooked. But he has that same natural sensibility to his compositions (mostly in the acting of his characters) that Rockwell also exhibited.

And yeah, Milt was an incredible talent that most don't know about or just don't take the time to study.

Noel Sickles was also criminally underrated though a few modern guys are trying to bring his name back into the fold (and rightly so).

I dig that. But, I guess my brain is so hardwired on a certain style that it's hard to break.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

Huge fan of Hal Foster's work on Prince Valiant. When I was a student at the Joe Kubert School, there used to be original strip artwork on display in the hallways near Joe's office. Seen up close, the line work Foster used was incredible and fascinating to figure out how he drew everything. Also saw some Foster work done in silver point, where the silver he drew with changed to a brownish color as time passed.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 AM
I Am Always the Octopus.

Quote:
Huge fan of Hal Foster's work on Prince Valiant. When I was a student at the Joe Kubert School, there used to be original strip artwork on display in the hallways near Joe's office. Seen up close, the line work Foster used was incredible and fascinating to figure out how he drew everything. Also saw some Foster work done in silver point, where the silver he drew with changed to a brownish color as time passed.
I keep forgetting that you went to Kubert School. I was on a teleconference call a few weeks ago with his granddaughter. Cool lady.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:50 PM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Timothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandasTimothy225 is a god amongst pandas

Never graduated, though. Four years of high school followed by four years of college with summer jobs (not just Six Flags, folks!), freelance, work, etc. without a break. When I hit Kubert's, I lasted for one semester before I burned out. I eventually took night courses taught by folks like Mike Chen and Lee Weeks. Even had a great portfolio review by Tom DeFalco.

Then the 90s happened and the comics industry went kerflooey. Wound up working on advertising in local magazines, and the rest is history.

Still draw comic/sci-fi/fantasy stuff on occasion, though!

Last edited by Timothy225; 05-07-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Malfunctioning Host

IggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandasIggytheBorg is a god amongst pandas

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/imager/..._hard-10452jpg

HAAAAAAANNNSE!

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:57 AM
is a Ginormous Thing.

If you only knew how long it took me to find some decent reference for that pic, Ig. Internet had a piddling few pics to work from.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Made Mr. T Cry

Man, Lee Weeks is a freak.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:25 PM
is a Ginormous Thing.

How so? Never got that vibe from him in class. Though he has put on a fuckton of weight, it seems.

I did get to see pencils and inks from some of his work on Daredevil way back when, including this piece (minus the colors):

Old 05-08-2015, 04:35 PM
RIP Ferg

B_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Never graduated, though. Four years of high school followed by four years of college with summer jobs (not just Six Flags, folks!), freelance, work, etc. without a break. When I hit Kubert's, I lasted for one semester before I burned out. I eventually took night courses taught by folks like Mike Chen and Lee Weeks. Even had a great portfolio review by Tom DeFalco.

Then the 90s happened and the comics industry went kerflooey. Wound up working on advertising in local magazines, and the rest is history.

Still draw comic/sci-fi/fantasy stuff on occasion, though!

Is that Scott Stapp?
Old 05-08-2015, 04:39 PM
is a Ginormous Thing.

Nope, and screw you for making me laugh, Josh. (I kid, you complete me.)

I saw some dude with the hair and the face in some magazine and since the character had similar hair, "boom" goes the dynamite.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:01 PM
RIP Ferg

B_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandasB_Metal is a god amongst pandas

Quote:
Nope, and screw you for making me laugh, Josh. (I kid, you complete me.)

I saw some dude with the hair and the face in some magazine and since the character had similar hair, "boom" he took me higher.