X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerds are ruining Hollywood!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Red-B...wood-9968.html

We need more Mallrats and less Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist

I'm totally behind this though. Enough of this "indie high school" bullshit.

Now that's a rant.

I remember being quite the fucking dork up until about 9th grade. That's when I discovered that I was going to start skateboarding. So all of my friends and I picked that hobby up, grew our hair out and BAM! No more dork. Yes I still loved dorky things, but I was no longer the dorky kid who looked wierd and was into Star Wars. I was the skater kid that had a lot of cool friends and that everyone (for the most part) got along with. I wasn't the underdog that year. 10th grade, yeah, shit got wierd that year. But by Senior year the jocks/homies/"popular" kids were over in my garage during lunch smoking up. Everyone got along for the most part. I see where he's coming from from an extent that people have selective memories when it comes to that part of their lives, but I still identify with the Freaks and Geeks of Hollywood as opposed to the jocks.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Originally posted by Rob View Post
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Red-B...wood-9968.html

Now that's a rant.

I remember being quite the fucking dork up until about 9th grade. That's when I discovered that I was going to start skateboarding. So all of my friends and I picked that hobby up, grew our hair out and BAM! No more dork. Yes I still loved dorky things, but I was no longer the dorky kid who looked wierd and was into Star Wars. I was the skater kid that had a lot of cool friends and that everyone (for the most part) got along with. I wasn't the underdog that year. 10th grade, yeah, shit got wierd that year. But by Senior year the jocks/homies/"popular" kids were over in my garage during lunch smoking up. Everyone got along for the most part. I see where he's coming from from an extent that people have selective memories when it comes to that part of their lives, but I still identify with the Freaks and Geeks of Hollywood as opposed to the jocks.
    dude, you're still a dork.
    The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Yeah I know this, but I wouldn't call myself a McLovin or anything. It's called having social skills. You know, leaving the apartment.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Also, I have a fucking podcast that talks about cartoons and videogames.

DORK ALERT! haha

Comment

Also, I have a fucking podcast that talks about cartoons and videogames.

DORK ALERT! haha
          and you'll agrue like a true fanboy on why lost is better than heroes.

Comment

Yeah I know this, but I wouldn't call myself a McLovin or anything. It's called having social skills. You know, leaving the apartment.

hey... what are you trying to imply here, ehh? i leave my apartment... when there's something to do or people to hang out with or at least when they want to hang out with me.

Comment

You going to PAX?

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                and you'll agrue like a true fanboy on why lost is better than heroes.

Fuck yes I will. FANBOY HO!

Comment

You going to PAX?
                  of course. i'm making prawns go as well since she's never been. and also meeting up with some of the gamestop kids that know me and my customer number. hahaha.

Comment

That was a good read.
                    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

My opinion is this: we get movies about high school nerds and dorks because they are interesting. They're funny to laugh at, and it's nice to root for the nerdy underdog. When we get a high school film about the popular jocks, we end up with Varsity Blues. I'm not saying a film about popular high schoolers would always end up being a 2 hour GAP commercial, but, let's face it, the popular people were pretty fucking boring. They're the type that talk endlessly about The Hills and clothes.

I've noticed a trend where decent films about popular high schoolers only really work when the characters are greatly exaggerated. Look at Clueless and Stiffler (to a lesser extent) for proof. Did anyone really ever act like those characters? No way. That seems to be what has to be done to get the popular kids interesting.

Now the nerds can be greatly exaggerated too. McLovin sure is. But for the most part, they do seem more in-line with the dorks of high school I'm familiar with.

In high school, I was only midly popular due to being a funny jackass. And it took me years to stop being a shy fuckhead and instead start making people laugh. I swear I could have banged one of the popular hot girls in my senior english class, just because I made her laugh a lot. Oh well.

Also, Mallrats is not what I think of when "High School Movie" comes to mind. And Nick and Norah's Playlist looks horrible, judging from the awful trailer. So give me movies with kids discussing Naruto and D&D, and keep high school football and Banna Republic clothes far away.

Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                      John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ari View Post
                        My opinion is this: we get movies about high school nerds and dorks because they are interesting. They're funny to laugh at, and it's nice to root for the nerdy underdog. When we get a high school film about the popular jocks, we end up with Varsity Blues. I'm not saying a film about popular high schoolers would always end up being a 2 hour GAP commercial, but, let's face it, the popular people were pretty fucking boring. They're the type that talk endlessly about The Hills and clothes.

I've noticed a trend where decent films about popular high schoolers only really work when the characters are greatly exaggerated. Look at Clueless and Stiffler (to a lesser extent) for proof. Did anyone really ever act like those characters? No way. That seems to be what has to be done to get the popular kids interesting.

Now the nerds can be greatly exaggerated too. McLovin sure is. But for the most part, they do seem more in-line with the dorks of high school I'm familiar with.

In high school, I was only midly popular due to being a funny jackass. And it took me years to stop being a shy fuckhead and instead start making people laugh. I swear I could have banged one of the popular hot girls in my senior english class, just because I made her laugh a lot. Oh well.

Also, Mallrats is not what I think of when "High School Movie" comes to mind. And Nick and Norah's Playlist looks horrible, judging from the awful trailer. So give me movies with kids discussing Naruto and D&D, and keep high school football and Banna Republic clothes far away.

serious. it's funny how "mack rawden" thinks his experience in high should match his. fuck this guy. he needs to stick a cock in his mouth and shut the hell up. most of us can relate to the nerds and dorks that have been protrayed onscreen from recent movies about high school. we either know people like that or were like that.

and mallrats? really? because when i think of a high school or "teen" movie, i think of can't hardly wait. at least that had EVERY stereotypical high schooler. and same with american pie, because they ran with all the cliches and had the dorky underdog rise to the occassion.

come on now, if you're going to rant, at least know what the fuck you're talking about. shit.

Comment

Seriously. Can't Hardly Wait had the over the top performance of Seth Green's "wigger", I do believe.
                          Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                          John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Indeed it did. And bathroom sex with the chick that would soon be on Six feet Under.
                            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Fuck that guy.

Kat Dennings is hot.

There is a reason there are different high school films out there, as different characters and narrative avenues speak to people differently.

One person may enjoy Superbad, the other may like Heathers, and another may like 10 Things I Hate About You, or even John Hughes' contributions to the genre.

Who the fuck cares as long as there is one out there for everyone. There will always be a high school film in the pipe, so there is a possibility that one day everyone will have their own high school movie.

Until then...fuck that guy.
                              Last edited by Captain Russ; 08-27-2008, 10:45 AM.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                              X