No announcement yet.

Pacific Rim aka the Mecha vs Godzilla Fap Fap Thread. SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And in the previews, I was wondering why the Russian Jaeger loooked so old and clunky. Yeah, sure, Russian "Lada tech", but still, when they said it's the only surviving Mark I, it totally made sense. And he was pretty badass. Sure, Striker looked more cool, but still, it was neat.

And by textured worldbuilding, I just remember scenes, with people taking refuge in a temple inside a Kaiju cranium and so on... it felt totally organic to the movie. Haven't seen such a world as well applied in a long while.
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• The Russian jaeger looked like the mist scientist dude in Hellboy 2.

Comment

• Lulz to finding out that the "This is this generation's Star Wars" line on the commercials was Devin. Fucking lulz so hoard.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Pls no D word
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Like other's have mentioned: Harry Potter (even though I'm not a huge fan) would be considered "This Genereations SW" but even that sentence is stupid.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• There will never be another Star Wars. It changed everything, regardless of anyone's personal opinion on it. Times have changed too much. LOTR was as close as we'll get, but I honestly don't think we'll see the likes of it again. Even Potter is too 'niche', and you can quote all the numbers you want at me. It isn't just about that.
              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• But it sure as SHIT ain't Pacific Rim. The further I get from Rim, the more I realise how much I love Fast 6.
                I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• FURIOUS 6 all the way.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                    Like other's have mentioned: Harry Potter (even though I'm not a huge fan) would be considered "This Genereations SW" but even that sentence is stupid.
                    He's sitting in a corner, kicking and screaming because Pacific Rim didn't explode.
                    Originally posted by Ari
                    The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                      But it sure as SHIT ain't Pacific Rim. The further I get from Rim, the more I realise how much I love Fast 6.
                      Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      FURIOUS 6 all the way.
                      MY PEOPLE.

Comment

• I missed Furious 6 when it was in theaters. I blame Mel Gibson, and the return of swing music.
                        Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          There will never be another Star Wars. It changed everything, regardless of anyone's personal opinion on it. Times have changed too much. LOTR was as close as we'll get, but I honestly don't think we'll see the likes of it again. Even Potter is too 'niche', and you can quote all the numbers you want at me. It isn't just about that.
                          Pretty much this. When Star Wars hit the scene back in the 70s, sci-fi was pretty much relegated as kiddie-fare or considered as dead as the western is today (re: what someone posted about The Lone Ranger).

You have to remember that blockbusters only really kicked in about a year or two before with Jaws, the first film that really captured and cut a HUGE swath in the culture at the time. But Star Wars was a different beast entirely. That film was the first mega-franchise, spawning a huge merchandising and spin-off empire the like of which had never been seen before, and is pretty much taken for granted/wished for nowadays. Not even the 60s-70s Planet of the Apes franchise, or the Bond films, could do what Star Wars did.

It pushed the limits of what special effects could do, light years ahead of what anyone else was doing. It successfully nailed the feel of the old movie serials, a la Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, and even tipped its hat to the samurai flicks of Kurosawa. It tapped into the zeitgeist of every part of the culture - families could take the kids to see this film with nary an outcry. There was a character for everyone to relate to. It's endlessly quotable. It's imitated, lampooned, parodied, homaged, etc. And it's timeless, to an extent, barring the state of special effects from then to now.

All from a film that everyone thought was going to tank. Say what you will about Lucas and his film-making skills, but that guy scored a golden ticket by retaining the rights and merchandising.

The Harry Potter comparison isn't too far off, but it's still not the juggernaut Star Wars still is today, and will be in Disney's hands when the next trilogy kicks in.

Devin's praising of this as this generation's Star Wars is so fucking far off the mark it's laughable, and further cements why he's not that far off from Harry Knowles in the hyperbole and hypocrisy department.
                          Last edited by Timothy225; 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                            Pretty much this. When Star Wars hit the scene back in the 70s, sci-fi was pretty much relegated as kiddie-fare or considered as dead as the western is today (re: what someone posted about The Lone Ranger).

You have to remember that blockbusters only really kicked in about a year or two before with Jaws, the first film that really captured and cut a HUGE swath in the culture at the time. But Star Wars was a different beast entirely. That film was the first mega-franchise, spawning a huge merchandising and spin-off empire the like of which had never been seen before, and is pretty much taken for granted/wished for nowadays. Not even the 60s-70s Planet of the Apes franchise, or the Bond films, could do what Star Wars did.

It pushed the limits of what special effects could do, light years ahead of what anyone else was doing. It successfully nailed the feel of the old movie serials, a la Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, and even tipped its hat to the samurai flicks of Kurosawa. It tapped into the zeitgeist of every part of the culture - families could take the kids to see this film with nary an outcry. There was a character for everyone to relate to. It's endlessly quotable. It's imitated, lampooned, parodied, homaged, etc. And it's timeless, to an extent, barring the state of special effects from then to now.

All from a film that everyone thought was going to tank. Say what you will about Lucas and his film-making skills, but that guy scored a golden ticket by retaining the rights and merchandising.

The Harry Potter comparison isn't too far off, but it's still not the juggernaut Star Wars still is today, and will be in Disney's hands when the next trilogy kicks in.

Devin's praising of this as this generation's Star Wars is so fucking far off the mark it's laughable, and further cements why he's not that far off from Harry Knowles in the hyperbole and hypocrisy department.
                            What's funny is Beaks said, essentially, the same thing. Like I said to Rob earlier in the day, it's been funny watching the web critics bend over backwards to say something positive about this movie. I'm guessing it's because GdT did it and they want to retain access or because he's their buddy. Or something like that. Anyway, after reading Beaks's and Faraci's reviews for years, I can't imagine either of them sitting through that dull first act and liking the movie.

Anyway, I think you're on to something with your special effects comment. When Star Wars came out, its special effects were ground breaking. People had never seen anything like that before and how well it was done. Now almost all the visual effects are computer generated, and while those can be refined (the work in PR is excellent in that department), you're not going to see anything really different. It'll just be better. In that regard, nothing will ever be another Star Wars.
                            Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post

Originally posted by Ari
                              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Furious 6 for the mother fucking win.
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X