Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHUT UP BILLY AND TALK ABOUT MOOOOOVIES, NOT DUCKS.
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Looper.

Barring the odd coloring of his lips, where he looks like he's been fellating the Kool-Aid Man all day, the Bruno Gordon Levitt makeup in motion wasn't all bad. Enough obfuscation in the angle, light source and shot choice to make it not look like he was Jude Law in A.I.

The implications, subtle as they are for the usual suspects, are pretty fucked up depending on how far you read into things. Or you could just take the story straight and it's still a pretty solid entry in the genre.

I finally have a RJ movie that is all the way great (haven't seen Bloom, didn't care for Brick. And before you crucify me for whatever stupid knee-jerk reason, guess what: it's one man's opinion).
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• You need to see Bloom.

Comment

• Yeah, I was pretty blown away by The Brothers Bloom. Its a wonderful film.

I watched Michael Collins for the first time in about 15 years the other night. Its an absolutely magnificent film undone by the awful miscasting of Julia Roberts. She's completely bland and out of place here, too modern looking and acting for the period with a wholly unconvincing accent. That she's surrounded by some of the best actors of their generation - Liam Neeson, the wonderful Stephen Rea, Charles Dance, Alan Rickman - doesn't help either. Its comparable to Gangs of New York and Appaloosa in that sense - almost great films scuppered by a studio-enforced casting decision (though even Cameron Diaz can't be entirely blamed for Gangs' shortfalls).

Other than Roberts though, it really is a pretty great film, gorgeous to look at, wittily scripted and suitably morally murky. It does, after all, depict the founding fathers of the IRA as folk heroes, something that I couldn't quite get my head round when I was younger. Now that I know a bit more about the Easter Rising and how it changed modern Irish history, it makes a lot more sense and is more interesting. The film as a whole deserves to be remembered more often than it seems to be - Neil Jordan did an excellent job with this one. Along with The Crying Game, this is one of his most satisfying films.
          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
            You need to see Bloom.
            Been meaning to.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Stephen Rea should have 2 Academy Awards by now. The guy is phenomenal.
              Originally posted by Martin
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                Stephen Rea should have 2 Academy Awards by now. The guy is phenomenal.

Rea is good. But, he's not phenomenal. That's just the bitch of being a utility player. You work in so many settings that you don't ever stand out.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                  Rea is good. But, he's not phenomenal. That's just the bitch of being a utility player. You work in so many settings that you don't ever stand out.
                  If CITIZEN X had been given a theatrical release, i honestly think he would have earned an Academy Award nom for it. Hell, Donald Sutherland and Max Von Sydow might have earned Best Supporting Actor noms. That's one of the single best movies that HBO ever made.
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

If CITIZEN X had been given a theatrical release, i honestly think he would have earned an Academy Award nom for it. Hell, Donald Sutherland and Max Von Sydow might have earned Best Supporting Actor noms. That's one of the single best movies that HBO ever made.
                    YES.

Comment

That's one of the single best movies that HBO ever made.
                      This is impossible. Literally.

Comment

• haha
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Argo

Affleck strikes again. Very good movie. Probably his best. Argo will win some Oscar noms. Highly entertaining.

Not that historically true though, and it's based on the Canadian Caper, and the CIA had a minor role in it by sending one guy, while the movie makes it sound it's a CIA ops when it wasn't (bitch all you want Anderson, the CIA barely did shit this time around.)

At least he changed the blurb at the end implying Taylor took undeserved credit for the operation, as he was the main guy from the start. Just like he was the main civilian scout for Eagle Claw Delta operation that failed later on.

Comment

The man speaks truth. Rea IS remarkable and Citizen X is an incredible film.
                            I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Totally agree on both account as well. And that Citizen X is probably the only great movie HBO has ever done.

Comment

• You haven't seen Breast Men.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X