No announcement yet.

Random Shit Dealing With Comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not gonna lie, besides the "robot bed bugs" that sounds kind of cool.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
      Not gonna lie, besides the "robot bed bugs" that sounds kind of cool.

It has actually been really fucking amazing. Here's the key to it: Dan Slott. He's been at various comic companies for over 20 years now. His first job at Marvel was writing the Ren & Stimpy book. However, he is fucking killing it on Spidey.

Out of context, it might seem like the same old same old. But, Slott has been writing the best Spidey in 30 years. You just have to read and understand where he's going with the character. A lot of readers have given him shit, because he's trying to push the book out of its accepted traditional status.

Under Slott,

*Aunt May has remarried. She seems less like a bitter old lady and more like any 60-70 year old.
      *The villains have been amped up and turned into less of a joke. But, he hasn't gone dark and gritty.
      *More weight has been put on consequences of actions and their mental impact. (i.e. If you fight Electro in Midtown, laws of collateral damage dictate that civilians will get hurt by debris.)
      *J Jonah is elected Mayor and is promptly crushed by the responsibility of the job. He finds more in common with Spidey and hates it.
      *Peter is out of the Daily Bugle, as he now works for Horizon Labs. A new workplace that challenges him by making him rely on his intellect rather than sneaking off to take pictures.
      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• I'm with Rob. Anderson's summary has me wanting to see if there are any Slott-written trades available. When I read the storyline /film I couldn't see how anyone thought that was a good idea but it sounds pretty dramatic.

Comment

• Off topic, but a recent Amazon search pointed me to what appears to be a trade paperback collection of a revival of Creepy. I believe this to be new mags apparently written & drawn by modern artists. I can't wait to get my greasy mitts on this if it is what I think it is. Much as I loved the old classics, there was often a disjointed feel to them. Whether this as due to really sloppy editing, or copious amounts of controlled substance use by the creative teams, I figure a modern publishing house isn't gonna put up w/ that shit. Whatever product they're churning out now would have to be more readable & complete. If it can manage that & keep the feel & spirit of the originals in other respects . . . They may really have something here.
          I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• 100% correct, Iggy - Dark Horse has been doing a new series of Creepy for awhile now. Though I haven't indulged (I'm behind on collecting the hardcover collections of the classic runs of Creepy and Eerie), I have seen the individual comics and the first collection at my buddy's shop.

Re: the classic magazines, again, I agree, the stories are quite disjointed, but there are some very well played out stories. They do get better as the later volumes of the HC collections show, but I wouldn't be surprised if some "wacky terbacky" was imbibed at points. It WAS the 60's, y'know.

Back on topic, I must admit, Slott's writing has brought me back around to checking up on Spidey now and again (not as a regular reader as I used to be, but he HAS made me curious to checking things out). Some great concepts and ideas, and he has succeeded in goosing Spidey and his cast into some legit character progression - something that was bugging me after OMD. Also, don't really get all the flack Slott's been getting by telling these stories - no better or worse than what's happened before, and if you don't like the story, don't read it.

Comment

• Me quick one want slow

Comment

• wut?
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Frank.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post

Even though Daniel Way is a shitty writer, I've been enjoying the new Thunderbolts. Way is trying to ape Ennis too hard, but when he sticks it...he fucking sticks it.

Plus, he's good with Deadpool.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Seems like somebody turned his crank to Frank.

Comment

• Got a free copy of the hardcover Criminal: Deluxe Edition from one of my homeboys who's doing the "uncollecting" thing. It's so sexy. I wanna freak on it, girl.
                        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                        *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Also he's about to list a bunch of shit on eBay (INCLUDING ACTION FIGURES, ARI.), so let me know if y'all want me to put in a word for you. He already sent some stuff to Casey (was KungFuCornelius on CHUD) and Casey was beyond satisfied.
                          "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~

Comment

• Originally posted by Shit Dickface View Post
                            Got a free copy of the hardcover Criminal: Deluxe Edition from one of my homeboys who's doing the "uncollecting" thing. It's so sexy. I wanna freak on it, girl.
                            Won't the pages be all sticky then?

Comment

• Sure, but hey. It's a calculated risk.

~

Comment

• Mint. Near Mint. Fine. Very Good. Good. Poor. Freaked.
                                I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Working...
                                X