CD drive won't open...sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD drive won't open...sometimes

Why does this happen, seemingly at random? A reboot takes care of it, but why is the drive occasionally not recognized?
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Cause you're running Vista...

But sounds like a power cable might be fucked a bit if it works sometimes but not others. Does it make weird noises when it does open?
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

This is my work computer. Runs XP. No weird noise.

Comment

So when you click open , do you see the light on the drive blinking on the front or no?
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

No light on these bad boys. It is about 4 years old, but has barely been used. Swapped this one out with my old one due laser death.

Comment

I'd check the connections from the power supply to the drive if you haven't already. And when it doesn't work and you do restart, it works everytime? Or is it kind of hit or miss?

Comment

it could be possibly a few things: the cd driver needs to be updated, the power source is starting to crap out, or malware on the computer.
              The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

It used to do this in the machine it was in originally. And it does seem to be fine after every reboot. Don't think there is junk on the computer. I run several programs daily to clean it up.

Comment

Sounds like a faulty cd drive then.

Comment

Swap it out with a different one and see if the problems still happen. That's the easiest way to know for sure.

Comment

it could also be the gears on that drive as well... try switching it again to another comp. if that's the issue still, get a new drive.

Comment

Thing is, when it does this and you go to my computer, there is no icon for the drive. So it is like it doesn't recognize it. Maybe? If so, why would this happen?

Comment

could then be either power source, connecting cables, or the drivers. update the drivers and see what happens.

Comment

Right click on "My Computer". Go to "Hardware" then go to Device Manager.

Find your cd drive and see if there are any problems there once.

Comment

No problem listed. Did I mention I already rebooted? Should I update the driver?

Comment

Working...
                              X