Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
    eXistenZ

Despite all its flaws, I found a lot to like about this. It sure took its time getting me interested, though; I'd say I was on the fence about even finishing it until around 30/40 minutes in.

The meta aspect where Cronenberg enjoys poking fun at thrillers/games is nice, and I really dug Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance (she's one of my favourites... and looked fantastic.) However, the abundance of Cronenbergian character names/indulgences - Hugo Carlaw, D'Arcy Nader - and preposterous accents - Chris Eccleston, Ian Holm - didn't quite work.

The effects were so pulp-cheap they were endearing (and apt, in the context of the film) so I really got on board with the creepy/lecherous tone. I suppose that was also appropriate considering the whole pervy video game background subtext invoked by Allegra, a riff on the nympho game pixie dream girl.
    That very good movie got overshadowed by The Matrix back then. A great Cronenberg.
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I like it better.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Another similar movie that got overshadowed by the Matrix (FOR A GOOD REASON! IT SUCKED!): The Thirteenth Floor.

Comment

• Poor Bierko.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Another Earf.

Posits similar reality-warping possibilities as those found in Primer, but without the creation of a device to keep it interesting (though Old Man Exposition does show up sporadically to guide the uninitiated along). Instead, the much more common thread of "strangers shattered by tragedy meet" leads the viewer through the more big ideas and theories of the new planet.

Another small budget sci-fi movie that doesn't suck? It sure is.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I still haven't seen Primer...

Comment

• Amend that.

Post-haste.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  I still haven't seen Primer...
                  Go back in time and rectify this. But spare an afternoon, you won't be able to only watch it once.

Comment

• I'll rectify that this weekend. I work nightshift...

Comment

• MarTEEN is in for a treat.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Finished watching FastFive with Vin. What an action packed flick! I think (scratch that,I KNOW) that I could drive cars at those speeds with no problem. Think I'm lying? Just ask the Sarge who rides shotgun with me every day. He won't let me live down one of my infamous rides where he saw his life flash before his eyes. I think I may have missed my calling. But,to rectify that,my catering business name may turn out to be Hell on Wheels
                        “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.”

Comment

• It's true... every godsdamned bit of it.

11 pm heading south on I-95. There's a tractor trailer in the right lane ahead of us. There's a car in the left lane keeping pace with us... about 5 meters behind. Everyone's at 85 mph or better...

Except the godsdamned truck. Dickfuck in the left lane is not budging, and in fact is nosing up slowly. We've got maybe 50 meters to figure out what the fuck we're going to do... and at this particular moment in time, I have no shame in telling you that I was reaching for the 'Jesus Strap' over the door. What does Lola do?

She guns it, without even hesitating. She has it near 100 mph, and is accelerating. She shoots the godsdamned gap between the truck we're about to rear-end, and dickfuck on our right.

The gap is less than 2 godsdamned meters. That's six fucking feet for you non Canadians.

And you wonder why I love this woman... she's got all the balls in the world.

And is not afraid to use them.

Comment

• Alpha Dog

This must be the fourth or fifth time. I know it ain't perfect, but it's so watchable. The really shrill blonde girl annoys me now, though - the one who Timberlake demeans by the pool by making her repeat what he says.

I would watch a movie (nay, movies) on the continuing adventures of bonkers Ben Foster. Throw him in a Nakatomi style situation, see what happens.
                            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• FastFive was better than it should have been. That train sequence is great as is the chase across the rooftops. I <3 the Rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abe Smashington View Post
                                FastFive was better than it should have been. That train sequence is great as is the chase across the rooftops. I <3 the Rock.
                                Who doesn't?
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X