Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern

A big piece of wasted potential. Not one exciting sequence in the whole thing and the weakest climax I've seen in a long time.

Would totally watch a sequel though.
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Watched The Thing (1982), The Day The Earth Stood Still (Keanu edition), and Fighter last night (yeah it was a good dick-off night).

The Thing remains excellent.

The Day The Earth Stood Still was the most retarded exercise in WTF I've ever watched. I was actually yelling at the screen during the film. Yelling!

Fighter was pretty good, but I wanted to beat the shit out of Luis Guzman's character. That and Chanum Tatum Tater Tot's lines all seemed really muffled/mumbled/I couldn't understand half of them.
      <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Watched The Thing (1982), The Day The Earth Stood Still (Keanu edition), and Fighter last night (yeah it was a good dick-off night).

The Thing remains excellent.

The Day The Earth Stood Still was the most retarded exercise in WTF I've ever watched. I was actually yelling at the screen during the film. Yelling!

Fighter was pretty good, but I wanted to beat the shit out of Luis Guzman's character. That and Chanum Tatum Tater Tot's lines all seemed really muffled/mumbled/I couldn't understand half of them.
        Sorry, not Fighter, Fighting. I started watching it after midnight last night on Spike. The most hlarious part of the movie for me was one of teh commercials, which was advertizing a 60 minute DVD you could buy about cosplayers/cosplaying. Gotta hand it to Spike, they know their audience!
        <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Sorry, not Fighter, Fighting.
          Thanks for clarifying that, Mike. I was just thinking "I don't remember G.I. JOE in The Fighter...."

Watched Charade last night. Great banter between Grant and Hepburn. Still funnier than a lot of its contemporary equivalents. The presence of Walter Matthau alone automatically grants a star. Crackin' title sequence, too. Really beautiful.
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• 'Charade' is awesome. The quality of the writing is fantastic, especially in the opening ski chalet sequence.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
              Green Lantern

A big piece of wasted potential. Not one exciting sequence in the whole thing and the weakest climax I've seen in a long time.

Would totally watch a sequel though.

Hector was amazing.

Watched Alien 3 Director's Cut on blu last night. fucking love this version soooo much. It looked pretty fucking awesome as well. Love Charles Dance.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• X-Men: First Class

This is my favorite superhero movie of the year I think. I'll have to rewatch Cap, but so far it's better than Lantern (duh) and Thor. Fassbender and McAvoy really knocked it out of the park, and the amount of great supporting actors in this is staggering (Ray Wise, for what, 10 seconds? Even his HIMYM cameos are longer!).

I would take a Magneto: Nazi Hunter movie anytime though.

Insidious

A superb hour of horror kinda wasted by the 2nd hour. And even then, that 2nd hour had some good scares. Surprising.
                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Rum Diary.

Amazing flick that won't make a fucking dime.
                  My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                    Rum Diary.

Amazing flick that won't make a fucking dime.
                    Good. Was kind of worried that it would be thoroughly mediocre, the trailers haven't done a great job selling me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                      Good. Was kind of worried that it would be thoroughly mediocre, the trailers haven't done a great job selling me.
                      THIS, my god those trailers look horrid.

Also watched Attack the Block. Thoroughly enjoyed though I felt the ending felt a bit...unfinished.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I've watched a tonne of stuff in the last couple of weeks, but the two that have really stood out as being a bit different were Holy Flying Circus and Senna.

Holy Flying Circus is the film The Life and Death of Peter Sellers wanted to be. All of the gimmicky, meta-textual stuff that felt so forced in that film comes off superbly in this. Essentially its a re-telling of the events surrounding the release of Life of Brian and the religious furore it kicked up. But its all told in the style of Python sketch, with references to modern events or - in one of the film's best moments - drawing attention to the fact that Darren Boyd isn't so much doing a John Cleese impersonation as a Basil Fawlty impression. It doesn't always hit its mark, but its consistently amusing, inventive, witty and - especially with regard to Boyd and Charles Edwards as Michael Palin - very well acted. The gag of having the actor playing Terry Jones also playing Palin's wife didn't outstay its welcome and, in Steve Punt as Eric Idle, the filmmakers satisfied one of childhood fantasy castings - I've always thought Punt had an uncanny resemblance to Idle. Its just a shame he didn't have a bit more to do. For those with access to the BBC iPlayer, this is still available.

Senna is quite simply the best film I've seen this year. Exciting, tense, heartbreaking and quietly powerful, Asif Kapadia doesn't put a foot wrong. I'd defy anyone to not appreciate this film. A celebration of genius as much as a tale of tragic longing, the in-car footage is simply astounding and Kapadia's choice of footage for the final lap of Senna's career is sublime, one of the tensest minutes of cinema in a long time. Cannot recommend this film highly enough.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          I've watched a tonne of stuff in the last couple of weeks, but the two that have really stood out as being a bit different were Holy Flying Circus and Senna.

Holy Flying Circus is the film The Life and Death of Peter Sellers wanted to be. All of the gimmicky, meta-textual stuff that felt so forced in that film comes off superbly in this. Essentially its a re-telling of the events surrounding the release of Life of Brian and the religious furore it kicked up. But its all told in the style of Python sketch, with references to modern events or - in one of the film's best moments - drawing attention to the fact that Darren Boyd isn't so much doing a John Cleese impersonation as a Basil Fawlty impression. It doesn't always hit its mark, but its consistently amusing, inventive, witty and - especially with regard to Boyd and Charles Edwards as Michael Palin - very well acted. The gag of having the actor playing Terry Jones also playing Palin's wife didn't outstay its welcome and, in Steve Punt as Eric Idle, the filmmakers satisfied one of childhood fantasy castings - I've always thought Punt had an uncanny resemblance to Idle. Its just a shame he didn't have a bit more to do. For those with access to the BBC iPlayer, this is still available.

Senna is quite simply the best film I've seen this year. Exciting, tense, heartbreaking and quietly powerful, Asif Kapadia doesn't put a foot wrong. I'd defy anyone to not appreciate this film. A celebration of genius as much as a tale of tragic longing, the in-car footage is simply astounding and Kapadia's choice of footage for the final lap of Senna's career is sublime, one of the tensest minutes of cinema in a long time. Cannot recommend this film highly enough.
                          Never even HEARD of 'Holy Flying Circus'. That just went to the top of the list of films that I absolutely have to see.

'Senna' is fantastic. Agreed with Ben, it's one of the best films of the year. You absolutely DO NOT NEED to be a racing fan to enjoy it, either.
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Holy Flying Circus was a BBC film and it very much belongs on TV, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't wind up on BBC America. Python's arguably had a bigger impact on US comedy than on British.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Never even HEARD of 'Holy Flying Circus'. That just went to the top of the list of films that I absolutely have to see.
                              Yeah, same here, that sounds amazing.
                              2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• In the spirit of the season, and reminiscing about the cartoons of yesteryear, I watched The Adventures of Ichabod and Mister Toad yesterday.

Well, I fast forwarded through Mister Toad and got down to business with the "Odd's bodkins, gad zooks, look at that ol' spook of spooks" shit. Apologies to Basil Rathbone, but I'm sure he'd understand the Headless Horseman is fucking awesome.

It was even better than I remember. Even with the quintessential stupid fucking swooning interlude that accompanied any and all of the Bing Crosby singing that was done. At least it was in the name of a joke. A shitty joke, but Brom Bones is shitty at jokes. The motherscratcher's still the greatest bartender in the history of animation. Seriously. He takes a fucking barrel of beer, punches it open, and serves a round.

Chuck Norris is a five foot stack of shit in heels in the wake of Brom.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X