No announcement yet.

Best ACTING in film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone think of a great performance with crap material? I ask because a lot of the performances mentioned here are from really great scripts, Glengarry Glen Ross in particular. Which is not to denigrate Lemmon's performance, but I think it's easier with a great script to put in a great performance than it is with a bad script.
    Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

DiCaprio: What's Eating Gilbert Grape
      D'Onofrio: Full Metal Jacket
      Madsen: Reservoir Dogs
      Wright: Basquiat

Comment

Originally posted by BMichaelKrol View Post
        Can anyone think of a great performance with crap material? I ask because a lot of the performances mentioned here are from really great scripts, Glengarry Glen Ross in particular. Which is not to denigrate Lemmon's performance, but I think it's easier with a great script to put in a great performance than it is with a bad script.
        Morgan Freeman in 'Street Smart'. it's a credit to the Academy that they got beyond the fact that it was a TERRIBLE film and nominated Freeman for Best Supporting Actor. He didn't get it, but it put him on the map for other work.

I watched this again about a year and a half ago. Seriously, it's a terrible movie but Freeman simply OWNS the screen whenever he's there. He's a badass pimp that you do NOT want to mess with.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Robert DeNiro in Sleepers. Say what you will about the film itself, but the one scene where Shakes is detailing all that happened to him and his buddies at the Wilkinson Home for Boys to Carol and Father Bobby (DeNiro); DeNiro says nothing, his performance is in the look on his face. You just see him take it all in, and he goes from serious to a subtle look so full of shame, remorse, guilt, that it's all but heartbreaking. Tremendous, and without any dialogue from him.

Comment

Love Phillip Seymour Hoffman in everything. Also the movie Before the Devil Knows You're Dead gets a vote from every lead. Same with the 25th Hour.

Also a bunch of other people in a bunch of other movies
            XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman. Inspired.
              We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
              - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Remember 'The Sicilian'? One of Michael Cimino's last gasps...

The entire supporting cast should get a nod in this thread... because Christopher Lambert's acting was so fucking horrible, it made everyone else's performance almost Oscarâ„¢ worthy.

Comment

'the Sicilian'...good GOD was that a bad movie, with 90% of the blame firmly resting on Lambert's shoulders.
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by PHEDG View Post
                    DiCaprio: What's Eating Gilbert Grape
                    Absolutely. I honestly thought that Leo WAS a retarded kid when I saw it. Seeing him act 'normally' later on totally blew my mind. That's talent.

Johnny Depp is pretty incredible in this film as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      Absolutely. I honestly thought that Leo WAS a retarded kid when I saw it. Seeing him act 'normally' later on totally blew my mind. That's talent.

Johnny Depp is pretty incredible in this film as well.
                      I thought that same thing about LEO. I thought no way a kid that young could be that talented.

*retardedsis/brofist* (yall still doing that right?)

Comment

hell YES we're still doin' that, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                          Absolutely. I honestly thought that Leo WAS a retarded kid when I saw it.
                          Now hang on a minute... if he's not retarded... how do you 'splain this?

Comment

Christopher Plummer in The Insider
                            Pretty much anything John Cazale did.
                            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

David Strathairn in 'Good Night and Good Luck'. He's always been a decent actor, but I never thought for a moment that he had something like THIS in him.

Comment

Chris Meloni in Wet Hot American Summer
                                Sam Rockwell in Moon
                                "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Working...
                                X