500 Favorite Foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
    Not so outrageous; traditionally, fajitas and burritos are made with skirt steak, which is flavorful but tough & needs to be cut very thin or pounded into submission, if it isn't tenderized via marinade.
    Nah, I know, I was just bagging on the "frozen" part. Also, orange juice makes a great skirt steak marinade. I usually use that when I do carne asada.
    "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
    *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Vanderhuge View Post
      Nah, I know, I was just bagging on the "frozen" part. Also, orange juice makes a great skirt steak marinade. I usually use that when I do carne asada.
      Didn't I done told you dat?!

Comment

• Woah, woah, woah! Time out! I never said frozen, friend! I have my limits, you know! I'm talkin' pre-sliced & packaged, but fresh, strips of probably flank steak.

As for the OJ marinade: try adding 1-2 tablespoons of lime juice to the orange. It will approximate the flavor of naranja agria (sour orange) juice, the autentico stuff real Latin Americans use. Being in Cali, you might even be able to score the real thing.
        I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• 218. Cerignola Olives Big, meaty, briney (not vinegary) and a little fruity in flavor. Firm and crisp in texture. I love olives in general, but step beyind Kalamata and discover the wonder that is. . . Cerignola.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• 219. Those Black Olives Cured in The Wine I forget what the hell they're calle. But the name says it all: big black olives, cured in red wine. A VERY briney, fruity flavor, with some vinegar tang thrown in. A bit messy (the wine drips all over & tends to stain if you're not careful). BUt wel worth it for the flavor.

Comment

• 220. Wish Bone Robusto Italian Dressing Italian dressing in general is a favorite; all those spices and the vinegar and olive oil. . . what's not to love? But THIS one sears the tongue and makes the eyes smart with a lil' somethin' extra on all fronts. No such thing as a boring salad when this stuff's on hand, for sure.

Comment

• 221. Steve Raichlen's Powderpuff Ribs Basically just ribs prepared in the standard way, except wood chnks are pre-soaked in apple cider rather than water, and the rub is Powderpuff Rub, from his Barbecue Bible masterwork. Not overly hot, but redolent of celery salt and garlic flakes, with just enough red pepper to make it interesting. This or his Basic rub are the top 2 contenders for my favorite rib rubs.

Comment

• 222. Fried Cheese Doodles Rob, et al. may love their cheese balls enough to buy 5 gallon tubs of them (yet, oddly, no entry for cheez balls ever found its way here. . . .). But for my money, the puffed variety pales in comparison to their fried bretheren. I normally don'r prefer crunchy as a consistency, but here it's just so much better than the soft, mushy consistency of a puffed cheez doodle/ball. The sprayed on artificial cheese powder goodness also seems to come forth more strongly, too. Not sure why. But from me, anyway, the fried ones get the nod.

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                    219. Those Black Olives Cured in The Wine I forget what the hell they're calle. But the name says it all: big black olives, cured in red wine. A VERY briney, fruity flavor, with some vinegar tang thrown in. A bit messy (the wine drips all over & tends to stain if you're not careful). BUt wel worth it for the flavor.
                    I absolutely love black olives almost more than any other food in the world, but I love the good basic ones in the can from the supermarket - the jumbo pitted ones, you know? My mom would put out a veggie tray every Thanksgiving, and I'd sneak them off the tray two at a time until I got into trouble. She eventually learned to buy two cans.

My first time I ever bought groceries for myself in college? A biiig can of black olives was one of the first things I threw in my cart. Came home, snapped on the TV, and ate the whole can in one sitting.

And my oldest nephew, god bless him - takes after his old aunt in his unnatural love of black olives. One Christmas when he was about seven, I got him on the phone and asked him what Santa had brought him. Among the dinosaurs and the Ninja Turtle stuff, he added, "Oh, and Santa put a can of black olives in my stocking!"
                    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• 223. Massive Hershey Kiss

Now I know, Hershey's is not the most uppity expensive chocolate in the world. I'm a chocolate fiend, so I know this. But fuck me if a Hershey Kiss isn't sinful. But those MASSIVE two pound Kisses that come from Christmas to Valentine's? Those motherfuckers are worth the diabetic fit your body suffers after you freeze it for the day, then eat the whole thing with a frosty mug of root beer while watching a movie. One of the great joys of life.

Comment

• 224. Steve Raichlen's Tapas con Pincho Powder Pinchos is Spanish for shis kebabs. And there's a recipe for a saffron infused, chives & garlic heavy, paprika laced rub for them called pincho powder that's the best thing to happen to kebabs since the stick. Seriosly. Serve some sirloin or tenderloin tips sprinkled w/ this stuff over a bed of Goya yellow rice (which is also heavy on the saffron & therefore very complimentary) and TRY not to smile. I dare you.

Comment

• Two Two Five.

Homemade banana bread with pecans. Probably my favorite carb-bombing during the holidays besides The Rum Cake.

And after a night of holiday drinking, it is the greatest sponge for absorbing that shite feeling. Unfortunately, it doesn't keep you from doing something stupid the night before.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• 226. Candy Cane Oreos If you can find these delicious bits of cookie, buy them! Call it your Christmas gift to your stomach. Minty, with little bits of candy cane crunchies in the cream. Yum.
                            Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by ingrid View Post
                              226. Candy Cane Oreos If you can find these delicious bits of cookie, buy them! Call it your Christmas gift to your stomach. Minty, with little bits of candy cane crunchies in the cream. Yum.
                              I MUST HAVE THESE NAO!!! I've never heard of them, but they sound nothing short of amazing!
                              2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• 227. My Mom's Oatmeal Raisin cookies Her secret? Golden raisins. At 1st glance, they don't even look like they have raisins in them. But the golden raisins are more delicately flavored, & plumper, than the brown ones, IMO. With that touch of cinnamon. . . best damn oatmeal cookies ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X