Flashpoint's End and the Start of Justice League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashpoint's End and the Start of Justice League

Give me an hour to pull together my thoughts.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Such a half-assed non-ending.
    Such a piss-poor way to cover up the fact that the Superman settlement caught them off-guard.
    Such a limp wristed attempt at actually trying to be original for the first time in nearly 30 years.
    Such good concepts held together under piles of shit.

That being said "Justice League" fared better.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

I just figured out that the end of Flashpoint is almost how they got rid of Poochie on The Simpsons.

Comment

So, how much better was Justice League? I'm hearing mixed reviews from some sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
          So, how much better was Justice League? I'm hearing mixed reviews from some sites.

Here's the thing about Justice League. Justice League feels like it was started before all this shit went down. I did some research into the matter and everything I find points to Yes. They were already working on JL, then DCU Online hit and things got pushed back.

The whole DC trying to spin something out of the Superman settlement is so strong in Flashpoint that they should've just printed a letter of apology in the book.

You can almost see the structure of Flashpoint as what it was. A decent Flash crossover that got shoe-horned into this mess.

There are a lot of good ideas at play here, but so much of this material is just terrible ideas without any real direction. They'll pull a few titles out of their ass on this one. But, this is going to flop hard.

Not only did you alienate the older readers, but you gave the newer readers a pile of continuity intersplice with new ideas and laced with writers that Marvel gave up on in the 1990s.

In terms of Justice League, I like the use of Vic Stone/Cyborg and I like how they're revamping the concept of Parademons and the whole Darkseid subplot. However, it just feels like the only edible part of shit sundae.

Comment

That's the way it's seeming to me - a decent idea, but massively flawed execution. To do a proper reboot/revamp, I'd have thinned the amount of titles significantly, stick with the heavy hitters for the first year, and make most of their stories "back-to-basics" approaches to get newer readers on board.

Actually, the whole line of thought is flawed as there really isn't that huge an audience that want to be new readers to begin with. Not hearing about too many kids hitting the comic shops.

Comment

Heard Flashpoint's end was actually pretty good (the Batdad letter and all), but the rest of it was just a blown out Flash story.

Is JL just a glorified Batman/GL team-up like I'm hearing or what?
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
                Heard Flashpoint's end was actually pretty good (the Batdad letter and all), but the rest of it was just a blown out Flash story.

Is JL just a glorified Batman/GL team-up like I'm hearing or what?

Half of it is a Batman/GL team-up because of the Bendis like pacing, but there's more to it.

The Batdad letter was a nice touch, but it was unearned. The feeling of being unearned is what really permeates through a lot of this. Like how Johns and Dido are cheating their way through the material to get the changes they want.

Comment

Oh yeah, the decompression of the story is what I heard rubbed many raw on the premier issue, and it is something (in a much larger application, not just in JL) I wish would run screaming into a volcano.

I guess I'll pick it up to see for myself, as I still need to check out the LCS in town.

I have come to loathe Johns' work in recent months, but I promised myself I'd see this experiment through for at least the launch month.
                  Last edited by Captain Russ; 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                  X