Behold! The Power of Cheese!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behold! The Power of Cheese!

I fucking love cheese. From your more common, store brand, found in every supermarket dairy case cheddar, to weird exotic imports found only in specialty shops. I once bought a wedge of yak's milk cheese. Pretty good, actually, despite the greenish tinge.

As a general rule, anything imported from Switzerland is going to be good, because the Swiss have very strict quality control standards. Some of my favorite cheeses come from Switzerland. Emmental (the one w/ the holes that we often think of as "Swiss" cheese) is good, but a little dull. I like Gruyere, and it's smoky undertones better, but even better than both are Appenzellar and tete du moine, some of the most strongly flavored cheeses out there. Appenzellar has notes of fruit to it, along w/ a musky assertiveness. Tete du moine has a weird but delicious interplay of sharp and piercing with sweet. Some of the ebst there is, IMO

Anyway, I was curious if any more of my brain dead brethren share this particular passion? What are tour favorites and why?
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Gruyere = great. I fully admit to only having gotten into cheese within the past few years (coming from East Texas where cheddar's damn near a delicacy), but cheese-related shit I've grown to love:

-Aged parmigiano reggiano
    -Bufala mozzarella
    -Fried halloumi
    -FETA.
    -The aforementioned Gruyere.
    -Fontina
    -Havarti
    -Gouda

And there's probably others, but those are the ones that are right off the top of my bean.

BONER-INDUCING THREAD.
    "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
    *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Oh god yes. I am a cheese fiend. When I was a young buck I would grab a block of cheddar and eat it while watching cartoons. I put cheese on everything. And everything with cheese I want extra cheese. Gouda is heart warming. My dad's wife makes snack plates around the holidays with gouda and these crackersohmotherofgodonapogostick.

Bleu cheese (why does Firefox always tell me bleu is spelled wrong? NOTICE THE CHEESE PART FIREFOX) is my favorite. I love queso fresco. Bless Mexico for their amazing cheesetastic dishes. And Italy. I don't even know what all cheeses you use, but as a country, you make excellent choices.

Oh, and I don't like spinach, like at all, but there is a Houston chain I love that makes this spinach and feta burger. WET DREAM. All thanks to the feta.

Comment

Iggy's doppleganger:

"Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Me and the wifey have been on a cheese bender lately thanks to Trader Joes. A nice hunk of bleu cheese makes my fucking day.
          Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
          John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
            Oh, and I don't like spinach, like at all, but there is a Houston chain I love that makes this spinach and feta burger. WET DREAM. All thanks to the feta.
            Considering how much you love cheese and hate spinach, how do you feel about spinach and artichoke dip?
            If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

I actually LOVE spinach dip. I just don't like raw spinach, all by itself. Just staring at me. Plotting.

Comment

Plotting to get in my fuckin' mouth.
                "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Raw spinach is awesome. Cooked spinach? *shudder*
                  We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                  - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Cooked spinach= Paul Blargh
                    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Cheese is the semen of god.

Yes, I do love cheese.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

I can't eat a lot of cheese. Pizza, yes. On burgers, no.
                        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

e've cut down on the amount of cheese we eat *sniff*, but yes I'm a cheese whore. The more the merrier.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEESE.

it's what's for dinner.

I've yet to have a cheese that I didn't like (yet to try any of the really stinky ones, like Limburger, though). Love Bleu Cheese especially.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Blue cheese ain't for everyone; definitely an acquired taste. But I'm a huge fan of most kinds out there. The Danish Saga & stuff are enjoyable, but if you've never tried one of the "real deal" imports, like Gorgonzola, Roquefort or Stilton, you really have to do yourself the favor. Roquefort is my favorite hands down, because it's the strongest of them. I'm dying to get my hands on some Spanish Cabrales. I think the only blue cheese I tried & didn't like was Blue Cheshire from England. I'm not a huge fan of Cheshire to begin with (kind of reminds me of Velveeta, for some reason), and adding the blue molding to it just doesn't jibe, IMO. Maytag Blue (yes, the same Maytag that makes the washing machines; the chairman also owns Anchor Steam Brewing) is sublime, as is Point Reyes, an American blue from CA, I think. They're also fairly easy to find in supermarkets, in my experience.

Before I forget to mention it, I have to sing the praises of Wegman's. They have an imported cheese section that is out of this world for a supermarket chain. There's 2 w/in a decent drive of my home, and my wife & I love love LOVE them. We stay together until we get to the cheese section, and then she goes off to do the rest of her shopping and leaves me there for an hour or more, searching thru the displays and consulting my "Cheese Primer" by Stephen Jenkins (indispensible reading matter for the serious cheese fanatic). If there's one near you, give 'em a whirl.
                              I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Working...
                              X