Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt's 'You're All Insane!' Lists: You're All Insane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's HTML text. That's very pretty, Troy.

EDIT: And he fixed it! But it's still blocked for me at work... I'll wait till I get home.
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

I rather liked the first Wonka, likely due to nostalgia (saw the flick first run at the Jackson Cinema when I was a kid), but also the flick is eminently quotable. That flick and Better Off Dead got quoted A LOT at this one job I had after graduating college. Also, I see the kids (all grown up now) on the convention circuit a few times a year.

The Burton remake pales in comparison. Should've been a home run, but it was blah.

Comment

The best part of Wonka? The fact that it factored heavily into Marilyn Manson's debut album.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
          This is better than the movie it's based on.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Eggsackly, Josh and Lis.

Sure, it might be dated, but at the end of the day, it is so packed to the rafters in iconography that I can't not see it as a classic.

Sure it has musical numbers, but they're just part of Wonka's stupid song and dance to fuck with the kids. The Oompah Loompahs are the greek choir in lament when a member of this surreal odyssey is dealt their hand by the fates.

Matt. Rob. Know your role, jabronies.
            Last edited by Captain Russ; 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

I get the whole "horror vibe" but even that's a stretch for me to enjoy the film. A 30 min cliff notes version would be sublime though. Movie is too damn long.

Comment

Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
                The Oompah Loompahs are the greek choir in lament when a member of this surreal odyssey is dealt their hand by the fates.
                This may be an unimportant little moment of love in the whole vast discussion, but when the Oompah Loopahs are singing their song about Veruca Salt, and they get to the lyric, "You know exactly who's to blame...", and the words, "The mother and the father" float visually in writing to the screen, the font is an old English typeface. And you know, I just really loved that - the fact that it's this old-fashioned font, almost biblical in its appearance, really drives the point home of "the sins of the parents" in a literal way. It's a small moment, but I always watch for it - it's just such a cool little nod to WHY this girl is so horrible, and as you pointed out, it's a great little greek chorus moment.
                Last edited by Lisa; 10-14-2011, 01:56 PM.
                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Originally posted by Abe Smashington View Post
                  A 30 min cliff notes version would be sublime though. Movie is too damn long.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                    This may be an unimportant little moment of love in the whole vast discussion, but when the Oompah Loopahs are singing their song about Veruca Salt, and they get to the lyric, "You know exactly who's to blame...", and the response, "The mother and the father" floats visually in writing to the screen, the font is an old English typeface. I just really loved that - the fact that it's this old-fashioned font, almost biblical in its appearance, really drives the point of "the sins of the parents" home in a literal way. It's a small moment, but I always watch for it - it's just such a cool little nod to WHY this girl is so horrible.
                    I love you. And I love that moment.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

I get the whole "horror vibe" but even that's a stretch for me to enjoy the film. A 30 min cliff notes version would be sublime though. Movie is too damn long.
                      Originally posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
                      Rers gets vindication from Rerb. YESSSSssss
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here.

It was nothing more than a failed commercial ploy by Quaker Oats to spend excess advertising cash in a foreign country to hide tax revenues from the IRS.

The end result: a hit film that didn't get taxed on.

Added note: During production, they lost the Wonka rights to Nestle (current owner).

Final lesson: Quaker Oats tried to cheat the government and made a feature-length commercial for their competition.
                        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

No skin off my penis.

Me wanting a movie I hate to be shorter is no way validating Russ's point.

Comment

Whether the intention was there or not does nothing to change my perception of that film as a classic (albeit a cult one).
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

No skin off my penis.

"Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

No skin off my penis.

Don't get penisy, kid.

I was just bringing up the usual straw-man that your attention span is quite short and therefore is an automatic handicap to your enjoyment of some films.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X