No announcement yet.

Best ACTING in film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian Blessed, Henry V. Also, the first couple of episodes of I, Claudius (great, great stuff from Derek Jacobi, Patrick Stewart, Sian Philips, etc... oh, hell WATCH THIS SERIES!!!!!).

ETA: Brannagh's on his game in Henry V, too.
    Last edited by Timothy225; 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

'I, Claudius' is excellent. It could have benefited from a bigger budget, though.

If you're a Derek Jacobi fan, you need to see the 'Cadfael' series that he did.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
        David Strathairn in 'Good Night and Good Luck'. He's always been a decent actor, but I never thought for a moment that he had something like THIS in him.
        My producer is courting him (on my suggestion) for a major role in a TV show we're writing together. Apparently he's available, so if what we write is strong enough, there's a good chance. God, I hope it comes to fruition. He's one of my favourite character actors working today.
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

Two more:
          - Angela Lansbury in 'The Manchurian Candidate'. Pure evil and scary as hell. She grabs onto all of the truly wicked aspects of the character and lets 'em fly right at you. Meryl Streep was pretty good in the remake as well.
          - Rock Hudson in 'Seconds'. Want proof that the man could act? Here it is. It's completely unlike anything that he's ever done.

Both from John Frankenheimer, by the way.
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
            My producer is courting him (on my suggestion) for a major role in a TV show we're writing together. Apparently he's available, so if what we write is strong enough, there's a good chance. God, I hope it comes to fruition. He's one of my favourite character actors working today.
            That is really, really cool. Good luck!

...and good night, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
              Love David Strathairn!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                David Strathairn in 'Good Night and Good Luck'. He's always been a decent actor, but I never thought for a moment that he had something like THIS in him.

I remember watching it theatrically and thinking the whole time, "Shit this guy is great...where the Hell do I know him from?" And like that, it dawned on me. "PIERCE PATCHETT!" Seriously, Strathairn should have won the Oscar that year...
                Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 05-10-2011, 10:36 AM.
                Originally posted by Ari
                The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

I make jokes about his being crazy. But Michael Moriarty is one of those actors who puts every fucking ounce of conviction into his performances. First became aware of him from his Larry Cohen flicks as a kid and even then I remember thinking, "Wow. That weird guy is taking this real serious."

So when I found out years later he was the original (and still best with respect to Waterston and Roache who were great) EADA on Law & Order, I immediately thought, "Oh shit. I gotta see this!"
                  Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM.
                  Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Robert Duvall in The Apostle or Lonesome Dove. Augustus Mccrae is a role that seemingly was written for Duvall. He's perfect in it. Hell he's damn near perfect in almost anything to be honest.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Moriarty was amazing on L&O.

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                        Robert Duvall in The Apostle or Lonesome Dove. Augustus Mccrae is a role that seemingly was written for Duvall. He's perfect in it. Hell he's damn near perfect in almost anything to be honest.
                        Agreed on 'Lonesome Dove', but I'm gonna have to disagree on 'The Apostle'. I had to turn that one off due to his over-acting in it...it was very overdone to the nth degree, in my opinion.

For my money, Duvall's best moment was in 'the Great Santini'.

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post

Robert Duvall in Open Range- one of my favorite movies.

Comment

Ed Harris in Knightriders, Romero's best work and Harris' first leading role I believe.
                            Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
                              Ed Harris in Knightriders, Romero's best work and Harris' first leading role I believe.
                              Never saw it. For me, he's never topped his work in 'The Abyss' or 'Pollack'. He's one of my all time favorite actors.

Comment

Stanley Tucci- and I am having a hard time picking his best work. I first remember seeing him in a TV show long time ago called 'Murder One'- I thought he was brillant. He is on my top five list for men I would like to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X