Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexbots

Site NSFW.

At this stage, the A.I. component had been the priority; in later iterations, fancy shmancy things like the ability to move would, presumably, be added in. And it was the A.I. we were most interested in. During our discussion with Greg Hines, a former employee of Bell Labs and the creator of Roxxxy (and her absent brother Rocky), we'd learned that our girl could be programmed with one of five personalities: Wild Wendy, who's up for anything; Frigid Farrah, who's not; S&M Susan, who likes pain with her pleasure (and will eventually have the ability to use a safe word); Mature Martha, who's got experience under her belt; and Young, the girl so barely legal she didn't even have time to think up a catchy, alliterative name.
    Of course, if you're left cold by these five preset personalities, it's possible to create a custom one—and (and this is the exciting part) to trade personalities with other TrueCompanion users through the site's forums. As Hines reminded us repeatedly, it's just like wife swapping...only without the messiness that comes with swapping human wives.
    Back to the unveiling, though: it was the personality that we were there to see. During our discussion, Hines had told us that Roxxxy had the ability to have a conversation. Like chess? She'll learn about it and discuss it with you. Like something else? Yeah, she'll learn about that, too. With bated breath, we waited, hoping that we'd get to see a true display of Roxxxy's (artificial) intelligence.
    Alas, it was not to be: the most we heard out of Roxxxy were saucy come-ons, uttered when Hines placed his hands upon her. "I know a place you could put that hand," she purred as his hand grazed her fingers. Different sensors activated different responses—but still, we were left, not with the impression of Gigolo Joe's ancestor, but more a sexier (and, true, more advanced) Teddy Ruxpin.

At heart, Roxxxy is really an enhanced, mildly interactive Real Doll—albeit one who's a bit clunkier, and not quite as attractive. Then again, at a price point of $7k-9k (and an optional, nominal subscription package that gives access to software updates), perhaps that's all we can expect.
    No doubt, Roxxxy will fulfill a very important purpose for some lonely souls; and with time (and interest), she will progress closer to our image of a true robotic companion. Hopefully her makers will figure out how to put some life into her face in the process: with those cold dead eyes, she's left us stranded in the Uncanny Valley.
    Goddammit.

This is what I want:

Instead we get this:
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Looks like Lady Gaga.
    "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
    *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Why are its teeth all fucked up? Who would want to have Quality Time with this?

Comment

Looks like Terry Schaivo. Gross
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Looks like Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders

Comment

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JRWEOvf8ScY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Originally posted by PHEDG View Post
              Looks like Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders
              If you hit her in the back of her head with a shovel... yeah.

Oh, and that video, Rob? Disturbing. Very disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Metal View Post
                Looks like Terry Schaivo. Gross

Comment

Creepy.

Spoiler: nsfw 

Comment

This thread - it's like a Jack Kirby OMAC comic book come to life.

Comment

I want one, not to fuck it but just to creep people out by leaving the face off and sitting it in public places with it's clothes on.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Very Westworld of ya, dude.

Comment

Haha, yeah I hadn't actually thought of it that way but true.

Also nice bit of trivia concerning that flick.

Originally posted by Stolen from wiki
                          Digital image processing

Westworld was the first feature film to use digital image processing. John Whitney Jr. and Gary Demos at Information International Inc. (aka "Triple I") digitally processed motion picture photography to appear pixelized in order to portray the Gunslinger android's point of view.<sup id="cite_ref-yaeger_1-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> The approximately 2 minutes and 31 seconds worth of cinegraphic block portraiture was accomplished by color-separating (3 basic color separations plus black mask) each frame of source 70mm footage, scanning each of these elements to convert into rectangular blocks, then adding basic color according to the tone values developed.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup> The resulting coarse pixel matrix was output back to film.<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference">[6]</sup> The process was covered in the American Cinematographer article Behind the scenes of Westworld.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup>

Comment

Working...
                          X