This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iggy's Book Nook

Re-reading some of my old posts reminded me how much I enjoyed the Horror Novel thread on Creature Corner. I read at an alarmingly fast rate, and can post mini reviews here with some frequency. All are welcome to join in as well w/ opinions, questions, or reviews of your own. perhaps Rob can sticky this, and we can use it to post blurbs about books that might not merit a thread of their own?

I expect most of the reviews I'll be psoting will be of horror books, since that's what I like to read the most. But since Creature Corner is no more [bows head, hat over heart, for a moment of respectful silence], I see no reason to restrict it to that genre.

So let's get started, shall we? First, let me say a few eords about the last book I wrote a CHUD review for, but which never got posted: "Sins of the Sirens". It was a collection of 16 tales by 4 female authors. As the name implies, they all have something to do w/ a female protagonist or character in the role of temptress. Not every story in it was great (a few were kind of predictable, one I can think of seemed weirdly structured, in that parts of it felt really tacked on, as if it was badly edited), but some of them were damned fine. I liked the stuff by Mehitobel Wilson so much, I went out and bought her short story collection "Dangerous Red", and will be reading & reviewing it soon. Seeing the names of any of the 4 authors who contributed to this volume's names on the cover or table of contents of an anthology will make me more likely to buy it. One of these stories I had read before, in "The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror", a truly worthy series in its own right, so I'm apparently not the only one who thinks these ladies got chops. Considering what shit Alex was usually sent by the publishers to have me review, this was a breath of fresh air, and it's a real shame the full review never saw the light of day. Highly recommended.

Finished "Under the Dome" a few weeks ago. Like all King novels, it was a compelling read because his style is just so damned readable. But it was far from his best work. Some interesting characters, particularly the main villain & main hero, but he got a little carried away, I think, with the villain's shenanigans. Making hm a corrupt politician would probably have been enough, but King goes it one better, and I think he overreached himself a bit. I also find it hard to believe that society would collapse as quickly as this town did in so short a time. The ending kind of reminded me of something Niven or, probably more to the point, Harlan Ellison would write. Not a bad thing to imitate, certainly, but you do get a kind of "been there, done that" feel. Am I the only one who thinks so? I know some of you must have read this. What'd you think?

"Inferno", an anthology edited by Ellen Datlow. Datlow is well known for editing "The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror" annual collection. I don't collect that one like I do the Mammoth Books, but I know of them, and they are reportedly very good. The stories in here were of above average quality (although I admit I didn't get one or two of them). One made its way into the "Mammoth Book of Best New Horror", so again I'm apparently not the only one who thnks this is good stuff. And last but certainly not least, there's a story by Glenn Hirshberg in it, and I've been a fan of his since Alex gave me a copy of his "American Morons" collection to review. Bonus! Also highly recommended.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Finished David Moody's Fourth & final "Autumn" book, "The Human Condition." This is a series of zombie novels. My brother, who discovered them & passed them on to me, says they're his favorite series. I don't think I'd go that far (I still like "The Rising" & "City of the Dead" better, personally), but they are very good.

This volume is kind of like Brian Keene's "Select Scenes" books are, gather (I haven't had the chance to read those yet, but I presume they're similar). They focus on characters that are new to or just barely mentioned in the previous 3 volumes, for the most part (although some of the more important characters do make an appearance or two). One of them is a zombie mentioned in the last book, and she's featured in several chapters, chronicling her journey through the plague from beginning to end. An enjoyable concept, well executed. There's something smooth and flowing about the way Moody writes. He captures emotional states very well, also. I wrote on the other site that I read his book "Straight to You", and the depressing tone of that book affeceted me for days. He's a powerful writer when he wants to be, but never in an overblown, self important way. As with all the other "Autumn" books, I recommend this one.

Further, as noted above I started Mehitobel Wilson's short story collection "Dangerous Red" yesterday. If the first story, "Tools of the Trade" is any indication, this is gonna be a very good book. More when it's finished.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Currently reading some old lite horror. Necroscope III
      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Currently reading 'The Power of the Dog' by Donald Winslow (recommended on the Crime thread at the other site by Jake and a couple of others). Very good.
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Speaking of crime novels, any John D. MacDonald/Travis McGee fans up in this bitch? Or Elmore Leonard? LOVED "52 Pick Up". Should read more by him. Any recommendations from the fans where to start?

Comment

Iggy,

Seeing how you've read your share of horror. What was your thoughts Guiermo Del Toro's The Strain?
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Have not read that. He is a hell of a director, though. I'd be willing to give it a shot & take one for the team. Y'know, add it to the Amazon wish list, purchase it thru Rob's link. . . read it & post my pithy comments. . . . the whole bit.

Comment

I got it through the library, it's the first in a trilogy. See what you think of it, real breezy read.
                "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Big Andrew Vachss fan, Ig. if you want some crime, buy some Vachss and do the time.
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Recently started The Bell Jar. A very good friend of mine has spoken highly of it for years and, even though I've barely dented it, I can see why already.

I love the title "Iggy's Book Nook", by the way.
                    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Thank you. You can smoke while you read, too. But no jacket is required.

Comment

Bring it Iggy. Loved your reviews back there!
                        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                          Thank you. You can smoke while you read, too. But no jacket is required.
                          *leans back in chair*

Ahhhhhh...
                          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                            Speaking of crime novels, any John D. MacDonald/Travis McGee fans up in this bitch? Or Elmore Leonard? LOVED "52 Pick Up". Should read more by him. Any recommendations from the fans where to start?
                            JDM fan here! Also, not too swift on Leonard but I've liked what I've read of his so far.

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Big Andrew Vachss fan, Ig. if you want some crime, buy some Vachss and do the time.
                            Yeah, Vachss is the goods. And Ed's right about Don Winslow, too. POWER OF THE DOG is fantastic, as is THE DAWN PATROL. Still working on some of his other stuff.

I'm currently reading Roberto Bolano's 2666, and this book is going to fucking eat my lunch. I also reeeeally want the new David Foster Wallace book written by the Rolling Stone interviewer.
                            "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                            *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

I'm currently reading Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide. I just reached the 1980s. Lot's of odd films I've never heard of before. Pretty cool.
                              Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                              John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Working...
                              X