No announcement yet.

The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on Game of Thrones still. Have like 100 pages left. In love with it so far, but I read the back of book 3 (I think) when my GF left it out. Not happy I spoiled some big events by doing that.

Comment

• Re-read Alistair MacLean's HMS Ulysses last night. A more depressing tale of the futility of war, the indomitable fighting spirit of man, and death in the freezing Arctic seas has not been written.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
        Just got the "Making of Empire Strikes Back" in the mail today. YES.
        I know, right? Got it for my birthday and I've been loving every page. Deliberately taking my time with it, though. It's been three years since the last one and I doubt The Making of Return of the Jedi will be out in time for next Christmas.

The Syd Mead concept painting of those armoured, robot tanks that formed the basis for the AT-AT's? WONDER! Joe Johnston sure knows his way around a blank sheet of paper, too.
        "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I've asked for the New Hope and Empire making of books for Christmas. I bet I get fucking socks instead.

Comment

• Currently reading METHLAND. Depressing as hell.
            "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
            *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Mencken's Prejudices just arrived at my door.

Hooray

Perfect for holiday reading.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• reading the boys and house of mystery. fun.

Comment

• Glad you're still alive!

I finished Don Winslow's "Savages" the other day, and jesus christ what a book.
                  "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                  *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Just started book two of Song of Fire And Ice. Couldn't put it down, read for about two hours and stayed up much later than I had wanted to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Vanderhuge View Post
                      Glad you're still alive!

I finished Don Winslow's "Savages" the other day, and jesus christ what a book.
                      I just started reading this book and while it's good (and real fast to plow through) I'm not all that crazy about the style. It's too James Ellroy-esque and seems kind of slapdash.

What I'm saying is that you and I need to operate a detective agency over in Venice.
                      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                        I just started reading this book and while it's good (and real fast to plow through) I'm not all that crazy about the style. It's too James Ellroy-esque and seems kind of slapdash.

What I'm saying is that you and I need to operate a detective agency over in Venice.
                        Jake's too busy fucking... try someone else.

I just finished the Stanley Lombardo translation of The Iliad.

Very modernized and idiomatic... and far more accessible to today's reader than previous versions.

But while I enjoyed it, I did find myself longing for the older versions... it's a bit like Shakespeare. One has to 'tune the ear' to enjoy the poetry for what it is.

Still, if the new translation gets people to read it... then I'm all for it.

Comment

• Its been since High School since I've read that. Probably should correct that.
                          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• American Tabloid.

It is the sort of lean prose I need in my life right now.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• The Fall of the House of Usher by Poe. Don't know why I had the urge, but for some reason reading this Sunday during the blizzard prompted spooky thoughts. Great read, but probably should've waited for Halloween to give this a whirl.

Comment

• Finished Book 2 of Song of Fire and Ice last night. Fucking incredible books...except Daenyrs. I seriously do not care about her at all. The whole arc is just grabbing me.

Comment

Working...
                                X