Status Update for the new stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status Update for the new stuff.

For any of that that are interested in the changes that are to come? here are some updates.

Our old Forums were running on a modified version of SMF (Simple Machines Forum) that sucked according to rob? He mentioned VBulletin and when he?s right, he?s right! After some research and "testing" we both decided that the forum?s future will be with VBulletin.

So far, I managed to get a copy of VBulletin 3.7.0 to try the conversion and merge from the SMF, but I ran into trouble because of our current host, the SMF database was locked and hidden away under a master username and password, after getting around that ?obstacle?, I managed to connect to the SMF database through some PHP scripts. The import was only for an earlier version of the VBulletin, so after some tweaking the import worked and some of the posts showed up and LOTS of bugs (avatars, images, smileys not showing up). So the plan is to run another test merge tonight with an earlier version of Vbulletin (3.6.0) and then attempting an upgrade of the frontend to 3.7.0. Then I will move the entire new working DB to the new host that is much faster and allows for unlimited bandwith and monthly transfers. At the same time I will initiate a domain name transfer for the main website.

The scheduled backup of the SMF DB will happen on Friday sometime after 12:00 so if you are posting after 12:00pm (central) your posts might not show up in the new forum. You have been warned?

The website and forums might be buggy for the first couple of days while the DNS records are replicating but everything should be back to normal by Wednesday next week.

~ Helper Monkey...

Re: Status Update for the new stuff.

I'd like to add, I'm the one who got this ball rolling and figured out to fix the new forums up. Booyah!
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Also, it looks like so far you may have to readd your avatar pic when the new forum goes live.

And you guys are going to dig the rep system.

No more usergroups (i.e. Member of the pwned, defender, etc....)

I'm working on making all pics transfer over smoothly especially for you guys in the sex threads haha...

Some signatures will need to be re done possibly.

Still working on other bug finds.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Bah, the Brimley can't die!
        Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
        John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Love it man. Greatness.

Also, new buttons to stumble, digg, yahoo, and google individual threads it looksl ike. Not sure if it would ever get used, but there are alot of options. Jesus christ.

Comment

This is too cool. I want to start doing toy reviews in a thread called "Plastic Lovin'".

Comment

Ok.

I don't want to jump the gun or anything. But there may be a slight issue right now with passwords. I'm assuming it'll be fixed in the actual update but in case you cannot log in, please email me podcaustrob@hotmail.com next week. Just let me know your username and what password you would like. You can always change it after the fact.

But like I said, this may not even be an issue after helper monkey is on the job.

Comment

On 2.0, it says my pm account is 90% full, with 45 messages in there and a max of 50 allowed. Should I delete some old ones?

Comment

Yeah. It saves your sent messages....You can delete those

Comment

Originally posted by Ari
                    This is too cool. I want to start doing toy reviews in a thread called "Plastic Lovin'".
                    Haaa... sweeet. I'm serously about to buy a bunch of super powers and air raiders after seeing some of those old pics last night. Memorys :'(
                    "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

Looks like after some time the database was transferred and merged somewhat successfully. You all will now enjoy a faster more reliable host.

Comment

Was the site just down, I couldnt log on for almost an hour??
                        "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

Comment

Yep. And thank you for saying that. Alwyn didn't believe me.

Comment

And did it just happen again for about 15 min?

Comment

Alwyn get up on this bullshit. Was down for another 20 mins or so. I'm starting to hate host...GRRR

Comment

Working...
                              X